• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Share your favorite free (or low cost) tweaks!

voltronic

Caig Deoxit. Put it on every single connection as a preventative measure, and restore dirty or intermittent connector surfaces.

I prefer the needle or brush applicator bottles of 100% solution, so you're not paying for propellant.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
- Flexible and reliable DSP software EKIO (IIR) as system-wide (Windows 11 Pro PC, in my case) one-stop DSP center
- Donation software VB Audio Matrix as system-wide (Windows 11 Pro PC, in my case) ASIO/VASIO/VAIO routing center
- Adobe Audition 3.0.1 as intensive audio measurement, including the 3D color spectrum (and audio editing, if needed) software tool
- Music Scope 2.1.0 as universal audio track analysis tool
- dBpoweramp CD Ripper and Music Converter (I use ver. release 17.3), very much accurate and reliable
- pure isopropyl alcohol for clean-up of all the metal-to-metal contacts

Reactions: MCH

Selkirks

Everbilt Anti-Vibration pads - Very useful if you have different speakers coming and going from your setup. Helps with height adjustment and possible vibration issues. Under $20 for 4.

Equalizer APO - Free

VB.jpg

VB2.jpg

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Caig Deoxit. Put it on every single connection as a preventative measure, and restore dirty or intermittent connector surfaces.

I prefer the needle or brush applicator bottles of 100% solution, so you're not paying for propellant.

Just for your reference, I and @MCH have discussed some "cons" of Caig Deoxyit; please refer to these posts on my project thread: #675, #676, #677, #678, #680, #682, #683, #684.

Mikig

9D908795-1602-4156-9118-116F2BC5ABBB.jpeg

it had been on the shelf for several years and I tried to use it.
An old Kenwood GE4030 Equalizer. He does his job in the system, but I'm afraid given his years that he isn't a champion of measurements.
So, I connected it to the RCA output of the Dac, enabling double output. The RCA goes to the equalizer, and the XLR to the preamp. No "interference" to the audio signal, but some moving lights to look at!!!

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
- AWG12 and/or AWG10 Multicore Vinyl Cabtyre cables as SP-cable in multichannel multi-SP-driver multi-amplifier audio system (ref. here and here)
- Very cheap non-magnetizable tin-electroplating pure copper crimp terminals (ref. here)

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cheapest, I’ve used that I can think of are the hockey pucks. I’ve used as risers underneath my speakers to get them to the height, I want, and which provide a little bit of vibration absorption.

The second cheapest tweak I can think of would be trying a few different tiny head pillows behind my head when listening. Different pillows of different shapes or softness can influence the sound reflections from around my ears and it can be quite nice.

Finally, this isn’t necessarily a cheap tweak because it would depend on how much one spends, but just using my thick velvet curtains to adjust the amount of sidewall reflection I want it’s one of my favourite tweaks.

Mikig

One of my favorites was to make a dedicated power line for the system.
Nothing "esoteric" stuff.

I bought a 3x2.5 shielded and twisted electrical cable. Maybe 2.5 Euros per meter.
I hooked it up to a circuit breaker with no other connections, from the main power meter.
I also attached the shielding braid to the main earth, meter side.

I have to say it does its job. The whole system has become quieter and the "blacks" listening are "blacker".

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I bought a 3x2.5 shielded and twisted electrical cable. Maybe 2.5 Euros per meter.
I hooked it up to a circuit breaker with no other connections, from the main power meter.
I also attached the shielding braid to the main earth, meter side.

I have to say it does its job. The whole system has become quieter and the "blacks" listening are "blacker".
I installed a dedicated 20A circuit to power my D&D 8Cs and any subwoofers or active speakers that may grace my listening room in the future.

I couldn't hear any difference.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I installed a dedicated 20A circuit to power my D&D 8Cs and any subwoofers or active speakers that may grace my listening room in the future.

I couldn't hear any difference.

How about electricity power consumption in your setups?;) (ref. here)...

voltronic

Just for your reference, I and @MCH have discussed some "cons" of Caig Deoxyit; please refer to these posts on my project thread: #675, #676, #677, #678, #680, #682, #683, #684.
Thanks for linking those posts. I've used Caig products for years and never heard these concerns before. I'm not quite convinced to toss my D100 right now, but I'll keep an eye on my connectors.

Last edited:

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning

voltronic

I put a 4'x2'x2" 703 absorber horizontally across the top of my desk riser, between my speakers. It made a big difference in removing early reflection colorations.
Can I ask where you bought your 703 panels? I have looked at several different sellers and they all have exorbitant shipping rates.

-Matt-

1000025746.jpg

Nice for adjusting speaker spikes to get them reasonably level.

-Matt-

I actually found that tilting my speakers a couple of degrees upwards widens my sound stage
I don't like seeing at them tipped over to the side like the leaning tower of Pisa!

If you are tipping them back, the other relatively cheap gadget you can use is a laser pointer placed on top to make sure they are aimed to the same height behind the listener.

Top Bottom