• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Share your favorite free (or low cost) tweaks!

Megaken

What simple change/addition/omission made a significant difference to your hifi system that didn't involve spending tons of money?

Here's a couple of examples:

Using dishwashing sponges to stabilize your components

DIY speaker riser supports:
1000005892.jpg

Thx

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Apart from speaker positioning which is free and very important, I don't think I've ever had a cheap tweak that worked in my system sound wise. Sticking my first speakers to the stands with blutack did make the burglars think they were permanently attached and too big to get away with, though!

staticV3

Master Contributor
$30 opens up the world of room correction:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
REW and a microphone.
Keith

OP
M

Megaken

REW and a microphone.
Keith
Ugh I have a minidsp with Dirac, and after measurements and correction it sounds worse. So I didn't even bother with REW. Maybe I should/will try that though. I had a different system in the same room with Audyssey, and that one did absolute wonders (and was much more user-friendly and straightforward than Dirac/rew).

Hollywood_Bob

Steelseries GG has a parametric EQ (sonar) and its free. Easy to set up.

I have implemented some of Amir's EQ settings in his equipment reviews (headphones, speakers) and they have improved the sound.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Stop fretting, listen to music :)

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For DSP I've used a refurbished mini-PC from Amazon, about $90-$110 for a full computer to run EQAPO on. Pretty affordable, especially because it's convenient.

My biggest "tweak" for cost-saving is to buy secondhand. I've saved thousands by going for used gear as often as possible.

Mikig

BF629316-57D7-4CCB-AE7F-AA8B66365BA8.jpeg

don't laugh though!!

I never dared buy them!! I've seen them and they cost crazy!! I tried making them at home!! I also read about some blind tests….and I wanted to try them!!!

result? boooh!!!

once a guy at my house, who had come to collect a turntable, was impressed: I was using the large speakers, and I raised the cables from behind.
He didn't understand what I was doing.
He said to me: what did you change? I replied, I simply raised the cables from the ground. He didn't know this "practice" at all.
This is the only test I was able to do.

No one at home is interested to “audio system” and…..the famous kitchen from which even my wife notices the changes;;) is two floors above my room!!!

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Fantastic mate. My thoughts exactly!

Splendid.

isostasy

Buy some decent earplugs (Etymotic or Sennheiser are my recs) for live music. Will make the live music sound better and retain your hearing so your music sounds better at home too!

Mikig

0793322D-5CB5-4707-A187-1B36287C7041.jpeg
I'm very proud of this :)

Y-shaped USB cable from A/A with double head, to C. Used to power SMSL PO100 Pro via iPhone plus external power supply, a power bank.

Cost: zero, material already at home... just a pair of glasses... and a soldering iron!

boxerfan88

MathAudio HeadphoneEQ

Top Bottom