• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

G-rig

I just attached my su10 to my parasound p6 and the change in depth, accuracy and detail is night and day. So much for all the people that beat their chest with "dacs have no sound."
Oh right what did you have before?
The more you spend is usually better.
Some quite good offerings these days in the world of chi-fi, not as cheap as it was though.

Narek

Oh right what did you have before?
Nothing. Just the p6, didn't know what I was missing. Going to add 2 rythmik LV12m and finally be done with this stereo obsession for good.

G-rig

Nothing. Just the p6, didn't know what I was missing. Going to add 2 rythmik LV12m and finally be done with this stereo obsession for good.
Sounds good, don't know about the p6 but assume had a built in DAC/amp.

ethanhallbeyer

I've read reviews that Su9 Pro and Su10 isn't a big difference audibly, if at all. At least according to the review or two I came across. I'd imagine Su9n would be similar enough to Su9 Pro that it wouldn't be a huge difference?

G-rig

I've read reviews that Su9 Pro and Su10 isn't a big difference audibly, if at all. At least according to the review or two I came across. I'd imagine Su9n would be similar enough to Su9 Pro that it wouldn't be a huge difference?
All that stuff would be very similar especially if same brand and chips. It would be minimal even between the d30, d10s etc.

Guess everyone just hypes stuff up and loves specs on paper.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Bought my su-10. The DAC is just wonderful compared to the su-9n.
What does it do the SU-9n doesn't?
I replaced smsl su9n with the su10. The difference is clearly noticeable. The su 10 has more body and detail in all frequencies. And how to be in front of the stage. lVoices are deeper and warmer.I'm happy with the change.Hi
How did you arrive at such a definitive conclusion? Please describe your testing protocols.
I just attached my su10 to my parasound p6 and the change in depth, accuracy and detail is night and day. So much for all the people that beat their chest with "dacs have no sound."
Night and day huh... whodathunk it!
How does that work?
Some quite good offerings these days in the world of chi-fi, not as cheap as it was though.
Please... don't use that term here, thanks in advance;

JSmith

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So much for all the people that beat their chest with "dacs have no sound."
This is not the place that will let you restate as strawman and then dismiss an enormous amount of science so blithely. Just search “DAC sound signature” and click the ’title’ box in the site search (up and to the right).

Last edited:

Narek

This is not the place that will let you restate as strawman and then dismiss an enormous amount of science so blithely. Just search “DAC sound signature” and click the ’title’ box in the site search (up and to the right).

Well shit, perhaps my ears significantly changed from the time I played music with the onboard dac on the p6 as compared to when I added the su10. Also the "science" means fuck all, if I can audibly hear a vast difference, especially when it's on the positive side. I bet all those YouTubers who review dacs are also Crack heads.

I've been in this hobby for 10 years, trust me when I say I can hear an audible difference with the su10.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Also the "science" means fuck all, if I can audibly hear a vast difference
facepalm-gif-13.gif

JSmith

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I like to come on to Audio SCIENCE Forum and tell people to 'fuck your science' because I've been at this for a DECADE and I defintely hear something.

"Trust me bro"

man get this guy a CEO position at Harman straight away!

geekosa

Well shit, perhaps my ears significantly changed from the time I played music with the onboard dac on the p6 as compared to when I added the su10. Also the "science" means fuck all, if I can audibly hear a vast difference, especially when it's on the positive side. I bet all those YouTubers who review dacs are also Crack heads.

I've been in this hobby for 10 years, trust me when I say I can hear an audible difference with the su10.
If you listen to them, every DAC able to convert a 1KHz sinewave will sound the same. No DAC will ever make any difference, no amp will ever make any difference, adding a preamp between a DAC and an amp won't make any difference, every speaker equalized the same way will sound the same...
Nothing makes any difference. For them 2 setups with not the same amp, not the same dac, not the same preamp, not the same speakers, cannot sound different, even if it does.

If the 1KHz SINAD measurement say the sun is black, you can put them in front of the sky, they will deny it is yellow/white.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, evidence points in the other direction. No can do.

when I say I can hear an audible difference

An ”audible difference” in a test where a) the levels were properly matched and b)you didn’t know visually or from some other cue which DAC was playing? If you could document that, it would be interesting. But that outcome is highly improbable, hence the lack of trust - nothing personal. Thank you for emphasizing *audible*, though. That’s an important distinction. We all ‘hear’ differences, most of them prove *inaudible* and arise from expectations and beliefs we held before the equipment got involved, or are just a volume difference (see my signature block).

I’d say this is one hobby where time in seat might actually reduce one’s credibility, unless it is in engineering or audio science, rather than sellling or buying expensive components. But if it counts, I’ve been ‘in the hobby’ since I worked at Atlantis Sound as a gofer in 1978. I have a bunch of equipment for sale that constitutes a fraction of what I’ve bought over the years. The hours I spent trying to tweak the sound from Maggies, Thiels and some of the amps/DACs you see there, and coming to realize how little difference they made, for all the weight, heat, and inconvenience.

Room EQ, and a truly even-dispersion speaker, though. Those are huge differences, and the former is inexpensive. DACs/amps/streamers are mostly just about features, not sound these days.

Attachments

• IMG_3734.jpeg
    IMG_3734.jpeg
    346.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you listen to them, every DAC able to convert a 1KHz sinewave will sound the same. No DAC will ever make any difference, no amp will ever make any difference, adding a preamp between a DAC and an amp won't make any difference, every speaker equalized the same way will sound the same...
Nothing makes any difference. For them 2 setups with not the same amp, not the same dac, not the same preamp, not the same speakers, cannot sound different, even if it does.

If the 1KHz SINAD measurement say the sun is black, you can put them in front of the sky, they will deny it is yellow/white.

But...but... I only listen to 1kHz tones on all my DACs? Who cares about music and such -- that's just a distraction! Silly audiophiles think that DACs are for music reproduction. They are all designed for 1kHz 0dBFS tones only, and that's what you should listen to.

D

Deleted member 21219

The standard of comparison around here (and in all locations not corrupted by subjectivism) is the double-blind test. It removes bias, even the bias possibly introduced by the test administrator.

It's described here:

Ability to hear differences is similar to ability to write your name. IOW, if you can do it today, you can do it tomorrow, you can do it up-side down, you can even do it in the dark, etc.
If you can't hear it in those various instances, especially under rigorous controls, then the conclusion is that you can't hear it ..... period. Tough for some people to accept, but true.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning

AAAAND we have another bogus account sent here to argue. I bet there are all PS Audio users coming here to cause trouble.

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can't. Your brain is lying to you. I bet you think you can ABSOLUTELY hear a difference when you know which is which. But other than that? No.

Top Bottom