• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser Upgrade from hd599. 660s or 650? (hint)

albycap

Hello,
I actually own hd599 with Soundblaster AE-5 Plus & i would do an upgrade from 599.
I mainly listen to electro deep bass music.
I'd know main differences between 660s and hd 650, and if my soundboard support them.
Any hint would be appreciated.
Thanks ;)

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Does it have to be Sennheiser? not a can I would normally recommend for Electronic or deep bass music.

Tks

Major Contributor
650, the 660 is literally a HD58X in a more premium offering.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hello,
I actually own hd599 with Soundblaster AE-5 Plus & i would do an upgrade from 599.
I mainly listen to electro deep bass music.
I'd know main differences between 660s and hd 650, and if my soundboard support them.
Any hint would be appreciated.
Thanks ;)

Look into closed headphones. Difference in lows between 660 and 650 is virtually non existent. HD660S is a tad 'tighter' at most.

fragzone

I'd say a Sundara with EQ would be a vast upgrade for that kind of music. Spatial qualities and linearity in the bass would fare very well.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I've got both the HD 599 and HD 650 in its guise as the Drop 6XX. The Drop 6XX is a big step up from the HD599 in just about every area. But if it's bass you seek, look elsewhere. Even eq-ed the 6XX has less bass impact than the AKG 371s [also own]. I like many aspects of the Drop 6XXs. However, bassheads might want to look elsewhere.

ExEnemy

I was about to say he400se with eq. Much better bass than almost any Senn. But Hifiman cans need power so you must check your mainboard output before buying. Otherwise an Akg K371 is a good choice. I don't like it as much as he400se but you can plug it anywhere and it sounds ok.

Chyżwar

For me, the main difference between the HD650 and HD660s is that the HD650 sound smoother and the HD660s sound sharper (probably due to a peak around 5kHz). Both headphones are great except for the low bass :) The HD560s will be better for electronic music.

Arnas

Im done With open backs... Open backs have no bass and you can damage your hearing by listening too loud to hear any bass.
Any speaker or headphones whitout bass presence is incomplete. HD800S and Kef Ls50 comes to mind.

Leiker535

Im done With open backs... Open backs have no bass and you can damage your hearing by listening too loud to hear any bass.
Any speaker or headphones whitout bass presence is incomplete. HD800S and Kef Ls50 comes to mind.

Or you can EQ them and have the best from both worlds.

Edit: but yes, for OP's use case I'd look for closed cans as they have greater bass from the get go.

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Laughs in LCD-X...

usern

You cant do much in sub bass region. Besides for gaming or movies you cant even add eq.
Equalizer APO is system wide EQ for Windows. There is equivalents for Linux. My 560S + EQ are excellent for bassy electronic music. You can make them shake on your head without (audible) distortion.

Last edited:

Arnas

Equalizer APO is system wide EQ for Windows. There is equivalents for Linux. My 560S + EQ are excellent for bassy electronic music. You can make them shake on your head without (audible) distortion.
Compared to what? I had Sennheiser hd 8 dj and it rumbled like Hd800S never did. Even with Eq.

Top Bottom