• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD800S Review (Headphone)

Hammeredklavier

Go put on a HD800s for once... You may very well not like it, but it should make it clear that no amount of EQ will get HD650 that close to HD800s
Yeah, I'll probably buy a pair at some point. I'd probably have bought some before, but unfortunately the reality of my life is that 99% of my listening opportunities are at my desk using a PC as a source, so open headphones aren't much use to me these days. I love the 650s but rarely use them.

_Dekker

Does anyone know of a European supplier for a new cable at a fair price? My XLR version is disintegrating and needs replacement.
Somehow the insulation of the last part of the cable gets weak and tears easily over time, looks like a chemical reaction with the inner parts of the cable.

yossarian

Does anyone know of a European supplier for a new cable at a fair price? My XLR version is disintegrating and needs replacement.
Somehow the insulation of the last part of the cable gets weak and tears easily over time, looks like a chemical reaction with the inner parts of the cable.
When shopping for a used pair, I have seen this issue repeatedly. Seems to be a case of a bad material. I do not believe in sonic properties of cables, so I bought an AliExpress cable. That was the only one not priced at excessive premium to match the headphone price.

ChrisCables

Audio Company
It is indeed poor materials selection. They should have used a cable with at least an inner shielding or secondary substrate.
I've lost count how many times I've seen this. The 'normal' Sennheiser 2-pin cables seem to fair much better as the conductor wires have a really strong enamel insulating layer, so nothing to react with the copper.

ChrisCables

Audio Company
When shopping for a used pair, I have seen this issue repeatedly. Seems to be a case of a bad material. I do not believe in sonic properties of cables, so I bought an AliExpress cable. That was the only one not priced at excessive premium to match the headphone price.
I'd be interested to hear how long your aliexpress cable lasts...
;)

ChrisCables

Audio Company
2 years so far. Some minor cracking on the strain relief on the headphone connectors, the cable itself shows no signs of aging.
That's pretty good going tbh.

I used to get so many requests to repair aliexpress cables as well as other 3rd party and even proprietary cables that I just point blank refused. Why should I? It feeds into someone else's business model!
I've seen some truly shocking examples of poor workmanship, even from some 'renowned' 3rd-party headphone cable-makers over the years. (With photos to prove it)
Obviously some of them have a volume-before-quality business model. That seems to include a lot of aliexpress vendors unfortunately, but there are definitely a fair contingent of others that put a focus on reputational risk, which is never a bad thing.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've considered buying the HD800/s a few times, but I can't help feeling they wouldn't be meaningfully better than HD650s (without EQ, with which I'd rather not bother). And even then, I tend to actually listen to HD300 Pros due to their excellent isolation and neutrality.

It looks to me like headphone design matured ~20 years ago and there isn't really all that much room for improvement, as far as sound quality goes. I suppose the next big step would be something that sounds like an HD650 but with >30dB isolation, or active noise cancelling?
There's a fair few headphones that are better than what was offered back when the HD600 was created in the 1990's, which still should be well regarded.....but yes there are quite a few options nowadays for good headphones and at lower price points, so headphone design has definitely moved on and advanced. Not absolutely stratospherically better than HD600 though, it's not like the advancement of computing power since then for example, but still better options nowadays and for less money.

yossarian

That's pretty good going tbh.

I used to get so many requests to repair aliexpress cables as well as other 3rd party and even proprietary cables that I just point blank refused. Why should I? It feeds into someone else's business model!
I've seen some truly shocking examples of poor workmanship, even from some 'renowned' 3rd-party headphone cable-makers over the years. (With photos to prove it)
Obviously some of them have a volume-before-quality business model. That seems to include a lot of aliexpress vendors unfortunately, but there are definitely a fair contingent of others that put a focus on reputational risk, which is never a bad thing.
I would classify the cable as passable. Connectors are a bit less smooth than the original ones. But all the non-Aliexpress cable makers price HD800 cables very high, so I would buy this one again. And, of course, I would never buy the original cable only to have it disintegrate in the same way.

ChrisCables

Audio Company
There's a fair few headphones that are better than what was offered back when the HD600 was created in the 1990's, which still should be well regarded.....but yes there are quite a few options nowadays for good headphones and at lower price points, so headphone design has definitely moved on and advanced. Not absolutely stratospherically better than HD600 though, it's not like the advancement of computing power since then for example, but still better options nowadays and for less money.
I'd actually go one further than that and say that while there maybe more choice of manufacturers and models than when the HD600's were released, that 'sonic superiority and improvement' has actually stagnated.
Disclaimer; I'm a Sennheiser/Audeze fanboy and this is my own totally subjective opinion.
I'm in the fortunate position to be able to sample various headphones on a long-term basis and I've had exposure to some of the most expensive, highly-regarded and widely-reviewed headphones in recent times. These include models from Meze, Focal, Dan Clark, Audeze et al.

While all have been arguably of better build quality, using better materials and components I've been less than impressed with the core function of sound quality. I just don't see the value proposition in 'trading up' from my HD600, HD650, LCD2-Fazor daily drivers.
I'm not claiming that there aren't 'better' headphones than my DD's (and I was very impressed with the Meze Elites) - just that there isn't a sufficient margin of improvement over them to justify the expense of buying newer and phenomenally more expensive models.
I suspect familiarity is a major factor in that rationale however and we all know how the saying goes...
Familiarity breeds contempt.
:p

IMG_20221101_212401.jpg

ChrisCables

Audio Company
...all the non-Aliexpress cable makers price HD800 cables very high
Nah.... you just have to look around buddy. ;)

But out of interest, what would you consider as a genuinely acceptable price for a decent cable?

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning

But out of interest, what would you consider as a genuinely acceptable price for a decent cable?
I know you didn't ask me, but for practical use, $50 max. If it's extremely well made like a work of art, I am willing to pay extra knowing there is no sonic difference.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd actually go one further than that and say that while there maybe more choice of manufacturers and models than when the HD600's were released, that 'sonic superiority and improvement' has actually stagnated.
Disclaimer; I'm a Sennheiser/Audeze fanboy and this is my own totally subjective opinion.
I'm in the fortunate position to be able to sample various headphones on a long-term basis and I've had exposure to some of the most expensive, highly-regarded and widely-reviewed headphones in recent times. These include models from Meze, Focal, Dan Clark, Audeze et al.

While all have been arguably of better build quality, using better materials and components I've been less than impressed with the core function of sound quality. I just don't see the value proposition in 'trading up' from my HD600, HD650, LCD2-Fazor daily drivers.
I'm not claiming that there aren't 'better' headphones than my DD's (and I was very impressed with the Meze Elites) - just that there isn't a sufficient margin of improvement over them to justify the expense of buying newer and phenomenally more expensive models.
I suspect familiarity is a major factor in that rationale however and we all know how the saying goes...
Familiarity breeds contempt.
:p

View attachment 318114
There's a limit to what can be done with a headphone that is designed to hit just one Target Curve without any degree of personalisation to the user. The HD600 did exceedingly well for it's time, and also now in terms of stock performance without any further EQ applied - mainly because it was fairly close to Harman Curve without the bass hump, so it got a lot of stuff right. That can't be improved on much apart from bass extension & more bass to get somewhere closer to Harman Bass depending on individual taste as well as the imaging & soundstage properties of the HD600 which I find leaves a lot to be desired. But HD600 is not all that far off when considering it as a stock headphone without use of EQ, so that's why I don't think there have been massive improvements since then. It comes down to the fact we're being limited by headphones that are designed to one target curve without personalisation to your own HRTF, which would require DSP & measurements of your own HRTF. So I agree with you inasmuch that there have not been large improvements, but I wouldn't say "stagnation" since HD600 (year 1997) because now you have more & better value options that are better than HD600. From this point onwards though we've got a degree of stagnation, I don't seen any meaningful improvement, again we're limited by what you can do with a fixed target curve that has not been personalised to your HRTF using DSP. So we're a bit stagnant now until there are some easy, affordable ways of being able to experience something like Smyth Realiser (personalised to HRTF) in cost effective headphones. There's the Impulcifier Project by jaakkopasanen over on github, but it's a bit complicated and not very easy entry I'd say. There are some shockingly bad headphones out there though even nowadays, just have to look at Amir's reviews of them, and oftentimes they can be very expensive headphones - just gotta choose wisely and then you're pretty close to the limit of our current "stagnation".

ReaderZ

There's a limit to what can be done with a headphone that is designed to hit just one Target Curve without any degree of personalisation to the user. The HD600 did exceedingly well for it's time, and also now in terms of stock performance without any further EQ applied - mainly because it was fairly close to Harman Curve without the bass hump, so it got a lot of stuff right. That can't be improved on much apart from bass extension & more bass to get somewhere closer to Harman Bass depending on individual taste as well as the imaging & soundstage properties of the HD600 which I find leaves a lot to be desired. But HD600 is not all that far off when considering it as a stock headphone without use of EQ, so that's why I don't think there have been massive improvements since then. It comes down to the fact we're being limited by headphones that are designed to one target curve without personalisation to your own HRTF, which would require DSP & measurements of your own HRTF. So I agree with you inasmuch that there have not been large improvements, but I wouldn't say "stagnation" since HD600 (year 1997) because now you have more & better value options that are better than HD600. From this point onwards though we've got a degree of stagnation, I don't seen any meaningful improvement, again we're limited by what you can do with a fixed target curve that has not been personalised to your HRTF using DSP. So we're a bit stagnant now until there are some easy, affordable ways of being able to experience something like Smyth Realiser (personalised to HRTF) in cost effective headphones. There's the Impulcifier Project by jaakkopasanen over on github, but it's a bit complicated and not very easy entry I'd say. There are some shockingly bad headphones out there though even nowadays, just have to look at Amir's reviews of them, and oftentimes they can be very expensive headphones - just gotta choose wisely and then you're pretty close to the limit of our current "stagnation".
Totally agreed, but how much better we have gotten since HE90 which released in 1990?:p

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Totally agreed, but how much better we have gotten since HE90 which released in 1990?:p
Ha, yeah, well that's another 7yr back from HD600, and looking at Oratory's measurements it measures reasonable, but wouldn't be my taste re frequency response. I'd still say we've improved since then. At the moment I mainly see headphones improving in price (lowering) while more reliably hitting something like Harman, as a way to maximise the "One Target/No HRTF personalisation" approach, whilst also reducing unit to unit variation, and maximising ability to fit different heads whilst not giving much frequency response variation from one persons different head to the next. So even though we're stagnating a bit currently re the "One Target Approach", they can probably improve everyone's experience & ease on pocket by doing those things mentioned in my previous sentence. But for the future it needs a leap into personalised HRTF & dsp that is easy & cost effective for the consumer, as we've mostly reached the limit of current accessible / affordable headphone tech.

yossarian

I agree with @ReaderZ, $50 is the max for me for utilitarian cables, even for expensive headphones. For comparison, Sennheiser's replacement cable for HD650 is $10 around where I live.

ChrisCables

Audio Company
I agree with @ReaderZ, $50 is the max for me for utilitarian cables, even for expensive headphones. For comparison, Sennheiser's replacement cable for HD650 is $10 around where I live.
I'm not sure how 'utilitarian' is defined but $50 should get you a nice-looking cable from aliexpress, but then it will be a gamble regarding the build-quality. There are good and bad cables there and not much in-between.
$35 more will get you my cheapest cable and it's specific to Sennheiser 2-pin connector models, but you're looking at paying a lot more than that from genuine decent European and US cable-makers for something with bulletproof build quality and cable/components (that also aren't just re-sellers of Chinese-sourced/built cables).
Bear in mind that the proprietary 'upgrade' cables from the likes of Meze, Audeze etc are nothing more than Chinese-sourced cables and sold by headphone manufacturers with a massive margin included.
Ask me how many I've been asked to repair.
;)

kchap

Forum Donor
I've considered buying the HD800/s a few times, but I can't help feeling they wouldn't be meaningfully better than HD650s (without EQ, with which I'd rather not bother). And even then, I tend to actually listen to HD300 Pros due to their excellent isolation and neutrality.

It looks to me like headphone design matured ~20 years ago and there isn't really all that much room for improvement, as far as sound quality goes. I suppose the next big step would be something that sounds like an HD650 but with >30dB isolation, or active noise cancelling?
I have the have a pair of HD800S and and I do like them, but they are are too big. They tend to slide down my head. Sound quality - HD800S; comfort -HD650.

_Dekker

Meanwhile I had a new balanced cable made by ChrisCables. Price was doable (significantly cheaper than original) and the quality is really nice. He also sent photos of the insulation done internally, which gives me confidence it will last for a long time.
Happy HD800s user again!

Attachments

• 20231025_091506.jpg
    20231025_091506.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 87

AryaStealth

So far the most pleasant EQ settings with a bass boost are from Amir (page 1). Sound is very natural and clear with these very special spacial qualities/soundstage/instrument separation.
EQing to Harman target kills 800s in my opinion, it starts sounding very average with a poor bass quality.
However if you are not a bass head, you might find the EQ settings from Oratory for Optimum Hi-Fi target even more pleasing than any others (amazing instrument separation and soundstage). A bit strange that nobody mentioned them.
Here are the PEQ settings I use:
Preamp: -0.02 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 225 Hz Gain -2.0 dB Q 0.35
Filter: ON PK Fc 350 Hz Gain 0.4 dB Q 2.0
Filter: ON PK Fc 1000 Hz Gain -1.3 dB Q 2.0
Filter: ON PK Fc 2800 Hz Gain -1.3 dB Q 3.0
Filter: ON PK Fc 3350 Hz Gain 1.0 dB Q 4.0
Filter: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain -1.3 dB Q 6.0
Filter: ON PK Fc 5450 Hz Gain -4.4 dB Q 5.0
Filter: ON PK Fc 6150 Hz Gain -2.6 dB Q 6.0
Filter: ON HS Fc 7000 Hz Gain -5.85 dB Q 0.7

And here are the original EQ settings for Optimum Hi-Fi target from Oratory: