• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD6xx amp

TankTop

Just ordered the HD 6xx off “Drop” and I’m wondering about the proper amplification. I have a Marantz 5014 and I’m sure it will be adequate but I’d like recommendations for an amp that will power them properly.

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just ordered the HD 6xx off “Drop” and I’m wondering about the proper amplification. I have a Marantz 5014 and I’m sure it will be adequate but I’d like recommendations for an amp that will power them properly.
You don't need as much amplification as you think. I would recommend a Magni Heresy or a JDS Labs Atom.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it's a 300 ohm headphone, but its sensitivity is high, 103dB, so it's easier to drive than it might initially appear.

I just got a pair from Drop myself, and I can use them with both my iPhone SE 2020 and an old iPhone 4 I keep around as an iPod and get very decent and enjoyable results. I have to turn the volume up to within a step or two of max volume, and I know I'm not hearing all these headphones can do this way. But my point is that they really don't need much "help" to sound really good.

Sometime soon I'll get a portable headphone amp (I don't really listen to headphones except when I'm moving around the house, so I don't want a HP amp that requires a wall plug). But these things are so much better than my prior go-to headphones, I'm content for the moment.

Speaking of which, has anyone used a portable headphone amp with the HD6xx's and had a good experience? Thanks!

Reactions: PSO

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I use my Galaxy S20 Ultra and a USB-C DAC to power them (I use the HD 6XX as my indoor-chores headphones) and I don't even need to max out the volume to get all the volume I need.

Bob-23

solderdude

Grand Contributor

You're probably fine. Just plug it in and when you like how it sounds just use it.

OP
T

TankTop

You're probably fine. Just plug it in and when you like how it sounds just use it.

thanks, I’ll be using them mostly for Xbox and that’s when they will be plugged into the Marantz but also early in the morning getting ready for work.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You will need a balanced cable for the 9038S

Reactions: PSO

lecter255

Hi folks. I have HD6xx and Sundara, driven by Topping D50s using a RCA to 3.5mm short cable. I mainly listen to classical music and I never need to max out the volume. Is there any benefit to be gained at all by adding a JDS Atom to the chain? I also have that lying around...

Southall-1998

I'm no electronics expert. Pretty sure I read somewhere, that the Rega Ear MKII is a good match for high impedance headphones.

S.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Hi folks. I have HD6xx and Sundara, driven by Topping D50s using a RCA to 3.5mm short cable. I mainly listen to classical music and I never need to max out the volume. Is there any benefit to be gained at all by adding a JDS Atom to the chain? I also have that lying around...
Yeah, you'd definitely see some benefit. The D50S's output impedance is about 100 ohms and its current supply capabilities are, well... not great.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

When you have the Atom lying around just use it and listen for yourself.
From a technical POV the D50s is NOT suited nor designed to drive headphones directly. That doesn't mean you cannot miss-use the D50s that way and get acceptable to decent results.
The Atom is designed to drive HD650 and Sundara properly and have plenty of headroom to spare.

Top Bottom