• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Security device snake oil exposed by Lock Picking Lawyer

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I stumbled upon a YouTube presenter who calls himself "Lock Picking Lawyer. He has over 4 million subscribers. After watching him debunk claims by lock companies as to being "Pick Proof", or 10 out of 10 security ratings, he reminds me of @amirm approach and thought that ASR members would enjoy his objectivist approach and the entertainment value of watching him pick expensive locks in under 3 minutes. The amount of snake oil and lack of value in locks and security devices is as wide spread as it is in audio.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
More important than audio stuff, too.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Astoneroad

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Debunking the nonsense with security devices sounds so familiar. I wonder if Danny and Paul are going into that arena? One with non-ferrous locks, the other with a combination regenerator?

This Lock Picking Lawyer is on the same battle front of combatting B.S. Perhaps he and Amir can find common ground. He's got over 1500 Youtube vids and 4 million subscribers.

" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ifrit

Any lock is there to protect from honest people, not thieves.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some truth to that. But if it even slows them down it might help a lot.

OP
Astoneroad

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's simply not true. It's there to protect from both. However, a very good thief can get by many devices that an average thief simply can't. Most thieves aren't skills masters of their art, some are, most aren't. So, I'd change your statement to "not good thieves or skilled lock pickers".

radix

Major Contributor
The LPL has been doing that for quite a while. He does bike locks, gun safes, code key entry, etc. Some of the electronic locks are so awful, he just puts a magnet next to them and they open.

And be sure to read some of the comments, his audience can be pretty amusing too.

radix

Major Contributor
Most serious locks can protect against unskilled thieves or thieves without the right tools. A lot of it is to deter a thief to easier pickings (I don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than you type thinking). Otherwise, they are meant to delay or detect break in so the real security can deal with it.

OP
Astoneroad

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The LPL has been doing that for quite a while. He does bike locks, gun safes, code key entry, etc. Some of the electronic locks are so awful, he just puts a magnet next to them and they open.

And be sure to read some of the comments, his audience can be pretty amusing too.
People send him locks to beat all the time. I bet that shipping a lock to test is a lot cheaper and less stressful than shipping Amir expensive and fragile audio gear.

radix

Major Contributor
People send him locks to beat all the time. I bet that shipping a lock to test is a lot cheaper and less stressful than shipping Amir expensive and fragile audio gear.

People also send him hidden tracking devices and other things. He has to open his mail at the post office and watch out for people trying to follow him. I guess people want to break in to the Lock guy's house and such.

simbloke

Forum Donor

That last one, magnet, turn, open.
:facepalm:

OP
Astoneroad

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
People also send him hidden tracking devices and other things. He has to open his mail at the post office and watch out for people trying to follow him. I guess people want to break in to the Lock guy's house and such.
I saw that. He gets sent various devices with embedded thumb drives, which he never plugs into a computer for the same security reasons. I find his vids to be short, sweet and to the point... while entertaining in under 5 minutes. He doesn't measure SINAD though... lol.

OP
Astoneroad

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great. A gun safe that you can open with a paper clip.

OP
Astoneroad

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That last one, magnet, turn, open.
:facepalm:
Even better... not even touching... or turning... ANYTHING.

Top Bottom