• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Acoustic Fields" on YT does the math

ozzy9832001

I Defend the idea that 30-300hz needs treating and most companies do not offer any products that do that, yeah sell 'bass traps'. Some that do like RPG have no youtube presence unfortunately.
I don't think anyone would disagree. It's really prevalent in a smaller room or when sitting much further away just how bad it can muck up the sound. Honestly, I'd take it a step further and treat all the way through the transition zone. The problem comes in when people just start throwing panels and trap everywhere and then they realize their top end is completely gone.

neRok

I just stumbled upon this guy today, although he's been around for a long time. This is his most recent vid. I know that he's selling a product, but he appears to understand the math and physics of room acoustics and how his products work within the numbers. I watched several of his vids in succession and seems sound and rational. I'm sure a lot of you guys are familiar with him, any thoughts? From my non tech perspective this doesn't seem like snake oil... unless it's buried in the science that is proposed I guess.
That activated charcoal looks an interesting product if it works as advertised, which sweetsounds post #16 suggests it does. Specifically with regards to the flat frequency response he shows below 500Hz, if the product works as advertised, than that could be the response. It sure is expensive and heavy though.

On the acoustics side of things, if your speakers/sub have a known flat response from their direct sound, any measured problems when used in your room are reflection related. If you prevent the reflections, you are only left with the direct sound, and thus a flat response. You can see this in REW Room Sim. Put a 2.1 system in a normal sized room with low/no absoprtion on the walls (=0.1) and there will be peaks and dips. Crank that number up to max (=0.9) to kill the reflections, and the response will become very flat.

Top Bottom