• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Scope probes

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt your cheap probe can measure a rise time of less than 2 ns, which is what we're looking at here. The distortion is probably the result of interactions between the probe capacitance, source impedance, and PCB + probe ground inductance.
No, especially as my 'scope has a bandwidth of 40MHz, but what I do not understand, and that's my fault, is what's the point of this thread?

S

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Found a better source: SPDIF output of RME ADI-2 PRO fs. Not terminated with 75 Ohm though, this may explain the ripples.

50 ns/div:

Siglent_PP215_10to1_50ns_SPDIF.png

5 ns/div:

Siglent_PP215_10to1_5ns_SPDIF.png

A risetime of 5.5 ns is not too bad. Still unknown whether the probe or the source is the limit though.
EDIT: spec of the probe is 1.75 ns risetime.

EDIT: same signal with same probe in 1:1 instead of 10:1, 50 ns per div:

Siglent_PP215_1to1_50ns_SPDIF.png

Now we know why we should not use probes in 1:1 for high bandwidth signals.:oops:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2944

Scope probes can be a little confusing at times. When to use one....and when you don't need to......and how you can get confused by the results.
Dave has an illustrative video on this topic:

Dave.

OP
mansr

mansr

Major Contributor
Found a better source: SPDIF output of RME ADI-2 PRO fs. Not terminated with 75 Ohm though, this may explain the ripples.

50 ns/div:

View attachment 53715

5 ns/div:

View attachment 53716

A risetime of 5.5 ns is not too bad. Still unknown whether the probe or the source is the limit though.
How are you grounding the probe? It can make a big difference to things like those ripples.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How are you grounding the probe? It can make a big difference to things like those ripples.
The ca 10 cm long wire. You're correct, I should try something shorter ...

... done: using the supplied spring, 50ns per div and 5 ns per div, the ripples are mostly gone:

Siglent_PP215_10to1_50ns_SPDIF_spring.png

Siglent_PP215_10to1_5ns_SPDIF_spring.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Why can't we use an electron microscope to see what the electrons are up to?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I thought about digging up a shot from work showing <20 ps edges on a 70 GHz DSO, or the edges from one of our 30 GHz (slow) dif probes, but then remembered this is an audio forum...

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought about digging up a shot from work showing <20 ps edges on a 70 GHz DSO, or the edges from one of our 30 GHz (slow) dif probes, but then remembered this is an audio forum...
This probe?

C3.JPG

OP
mansr

mansr

Major Contributor
Sounds expensive.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Sounds expensive.

I don't remember the cost of the tri-mode probes, think ~$20k to $30k each.

I've said before I can check out a DSO (with or without probes) and take it home to play, but balk at taking home a 'scope worth more than my home.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Too lazy to read? It's written at the bottom of each screenshot: 24.5758 MHz.
Derp. Sorry.
I saw that, but misinterpreted. :(

I guess I was thinking/wondering/assuming it was an audio-frequency square wave, and I was pretty disillusioned to see expensive probes (or even cheap ones) struggling to reproduce it (umm, I guess, transfer it would be more apt).

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Derp. Sorry.
I saw that, but misinterpreted. :(

I guess I was thinking/wondering/assuming it was an audio-frequency square wave, and I was pretty disillusioned to see expensive probes (or even cheap ones) struggling to reproduce it.
I missed that too, but my excuse is that I've never used a digital 'scope, so those numbers at the bottom meant nothing to me. My first 'scope was a Cossor 1049 with a 100kHz (not MHz or GHz) bandwidth, http://www.thevalvepage.com/testeq/cossor/1049/1049.htm so even my current 40Mhz 'scope seems advanced.

S

Top Bottom