• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help for setting up music on an oscilloscope

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried that already but the signal/amplitude stays one dimensional.

On my oscilloscope it seems as if I always have to choose between Y or X input. The only difference is that X does not behave as it should.
Set the scope into X-Y mode. Feed a signal (e.g using REW's signal generator) to the Y input and change the Y amplitude until the screen shows a vertical line. Then move the cable from the Y-input to the X input and set the X amplitude to the same value as the Y amplitude. The screen should show a horizontal line of the same length as the vertical line had before. If this is the case the scope is OK.
In the following video this guy goes with his scope from a line to a dot. The starting position I know for making music visible on a scope. If I would have such an option...
This guy uses his scope in X-Y mode and feeds two different signals to the X and Y inputs. Those signals are not music but artificially created (e.g. using a 2 channel signal generator) with different phase, frequency and wave form.

OP
L

Leadfoot

In X-Y mode there is no time-sweep and with no input you get a dot in the center. The Y-channel moves the dot up & down and with no sweep an AC signal "draws" a vertical line with the height of the line proportional to the voltage (same as before but without the sweep).

Negative voltage on the X-channel moves the dot to the left and positive voltage moves the dot to the right. With stereo (different audio on both channels) you get "interesting patterns". With the same audio on both channels ("dual mono") you get a line at a 45-degree angle, again with the length proportional to the voltage.
Correct, I have the centered point so far.

1. I was able to set it up last night so that I can use both the X and Y axes at the same time.
2. I can create a vertical and diagonal line (I can't extend yet) and I already had two linear horizontal audio lines on Y and X (displayed one above the other).
3. If I'm not mistaken, both stereo channels were identical displayed. That might also explain why I haven't succeeded with the 2D drawings yet.

I think I'll get an RCA and BNC cable next to make sure the contacts for the stereo are correct, because this is getting weird (?).

Set the scope into X-Y mode. Feed a signal (e.g using REW's signal generator) to the Y input and change the Y amplitude until the screen shows a vertical line. Then move the cable from the Y-input to the X input and set the X amplitude to the same value as the Y amplitude. The screen should show a horizontal line of the same length as the vertical line had before. If this is the case the scope is OK.
Thank you very much for the tip, I will also test that next.

OP
L

Leadfoot

3. If I'm not mistaken, both stereo channels were identical displayed.
It is strange that I had the effect described above for a short time when I can otherwise only observe that the X input signal is significantly weaker than the Y input signal. As I noticed at the beginning of my tests, the signal or amplitude is strangely weaker under the X input. The question now is, what could be responsible for this? Does anyone have any ideas? Then maybe I can fix it.

At the Y input, the amplitude is vertical, and I also get it horizontally under this input. Under the X input, on the other hand, the amplitude is initially only vertical. Does all this make sense to you? I do get a weak amplitude via the X input, which so far is only half as large as that under the Y input - so far I can't increase this one.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I can otherwise only observe that the X input signal is significantly weaker than the Y input signal.
Your scope has different sensitivity and adjustments for the X-input which isn't a "normal" input. You might need to use a speaker connection to get enough signal in the X-channel (and you might need to turn-up the volume) and then you should be able to adjust the Y-channel to approximately match.

Here is a picture of a 2-channel scope. Notice that there are identical VOLTS/DIV knobs for both channels.

99% of the time it would be used in 1-channel mode or 2-channel mode showing 1 or 2 separate waveforms. X-Y is not commonly used.

OP
L

Leadfoot

@DVDdoug Thank you! I'll test it out in a few days as soon as my order with cables arrives. Then I will implement what you wrote. Maybe it will work then.

OP
L

Leadfoot

Good news! After the cables that I have now ordered, I have also bought a preamplifier in the last few days and used it to amplify the input signal. IT WORKS! PROBLEM SOLVED. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR EFFORTS!

However, I have a second concern: I would like to create a music-drawing file for my scope or even better: have it created. Has anyone interest in this?

And/Or would it be better to open a new thread for this?

Top Bottom