• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Magni Unity with onboard DAC

solderdude

Grand Contributor
New Tech—Proven by Listening
Magni Unity debuts our new super-linear, high-precision current-feedback discrete topology—an exotic, bespoke amplifier stage unlike anything available from the competition. Coupled with the best parts, from a custom, sorted Alps potentiometer to silicon and film capacitors and 0.5% thin-film resistors, Magni Unity delivers better sound, as confirmed by our blind listening panels.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
New Tech—Proven by Listening
Magni Unity debuts our new super-linear, high-precision current-feedback discrete topology—an exotic, bespoke amplifier stage unlike anything available from the competition. Coupled with the best parts, from a custom, sorted Alps potentiometer to silicon and film capacitors and 0.5% thin-film resistors, Magni Unity delivers better sound, as confirmed by our blind listening panels.

Not posting the link here, but here's an anecdotal experience of such blind testing:

1701151607053.png

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I'm of course interested to see how this latest entry tests out. It's certainly a good price for a combo unit, and many will like having that instead of a "stack" while still having RCA outs to use it as a preamp. A competitive price push by Schiit just as the improved JDS Atom+ products debut, and right before Christmas (though both companies seem to be scaling up on production, so by Xmas-delivered supply may be limited in both instances).

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not posting the link here, but here's an anecdotal experience of such blind testing:

View attachment 329972
Honestly I find Purr1n's tests interesting. Although there's some cattiness (ha) and vague hostility between the forums, this is one of the more serious blind tests I've seen someone do at home. If they're hearing differences and passing the ABX test, then... what did they hear? That's interesting to me. Is there some edge case that crops up with their cans and these amps? Would like to know what, if so.

Likewise with Schiit's test. If they got a valid result (or not), the details are the interesting part.

oleg87

"vague" hostility? hmmm!

Much like the Schiit fellas, Marv clearly has all the means to correlate whatever he claims to hear to an objective difference in performance, and curiously, no apparent interest in doing so.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It is pretty easy to null an amplifier (much easier than it is to null DACs) under actual load using actual music.
IF there are audible differences (amplitude, phase) they should be quite measurable, audible and quantifiable with this method.
That would take the fun out and require specialized equipment to do this.

The funny thing is that distortion measurements over various levels and frequencies (what Marv is doing) shows there cannot be any audible differences and the Magni is 'transparent'. That is .... if that is done with an actual load and not a resistive one.
When the other amp used is equally 'transparent' then the reason for a clear audible difference (14 out of 16 would be a clear difference) should be investigated further with that set of ears to determine what the 'tells' actually are. They don't seem interested in that though.
Keeping the myths alive seems to be main focus (and to ridicule Amir and ASR readers).

When there are audible differences they must be pretty measurable is my standpoint until evidence says otherwise. None so far in the last 30 years for me.
If not then it must come from 'the unknown' signal or Rob Watts is right and -350dB matters.

We have to remember stereo is just 2 voltages changing over time. It is not magic. Amplitude, phase and time.

It would be fun if these blind tests were witnessed. We have to take Marv's word for it that he actually level matched correctly and that the paper he wrote the results on is what really happened.
Schiit test too... was it witnessed ? Properly level matched (under load) ? What was the other amp ? participants ? Measurements ? results ?

Maybe they actually can hear differences, that are even quick to recognize. Too bad those folks do not seem to be interested in finding out the why. Only to say they (and others) can.

When one wants to prove something to yourself a blind test is fine. When you want to prove something scientifically it has to be witnessed and validated and even repeated by someone else.
So far there are only the usual claims and the 'evidence' is on super thin ice. The ice has to be thicker and one would need the golden-eared folks to do this in a 'not at home with friends' setting but with a test setup by someone that can actually verify the results.
As long as that never happens it will always remain a 'yes, no' game.

Let me say this again. I like Schiit but don't have any of their products. I like the pricing, the marketing, the interaction with the public, I like that they listen to and do something with feedback so have no problems with the brand nor the individuals.

Last edited:

JK47

It is pretty easy to null an amplifier (much easier than it is to null DACs) under actual load using actual music.
IF there are audible differences (amplitude, phase) they should be quite measurable, audible and quantifiable with this method.
That would take the fun out and require specialized equipment to do this.

The funny thing is that distortion measurements over various levels and frequencies (what Marv is doing) shows there cannot be any audible differences and the Magni is 'transparent'. That is .... if that is done with an actual load and not a resistive one.
When the other amp used is equally 'transparent' then the reason for a clear audible difference (14 out of 16 would be a clear difference) should be investigated further with that set of ears to determine what the 'tells' actually are. They don't seem interested in that though.
Keeping the myths alive seems to be main focus (and to ridicule Amir and ASR readers).

When there are audible differences they must be pretty measurable is my standpoint until evidence says otherwise. None so far in the last 30 years for me.
If not then it must come from 'the unknown' signal or Rob Watts is right and -350dB matters.

We have to remember stereo is just 2 voltages changing over time. It is not magic. Amplitude, phase and time.

It would be fun if these blind tests were witnessed. We have to take Marv's word for it that he actually level matched correctly and that the paper he wrote the results on is what really happened.
Schiit test too... was it witnessed ? Properly level matched (under load) ? What was the other amp ? participants ? Measurements ? results ?

Maybe they actually can hear differences, that are even quick to recognize. Too bad those folks do not seem to be interested in finding out the why. Only to say they (and others) can.

When one wants to prove something to yourself a blind test is fine. When you want to prove something scientifically it has to be witnessed and validated and even repeated by someone else.
So far there are only the usual claims and the 'evidence' is on super thin ice. The ice has to be thicker and one would need the golden-eared folks to do this in a 'not at home with friends' setting but with a test setup by someone that can actually verify the results.
As long as that never happens it will always remain a 'yes, no' game.

Let me say this again. I like Schiit but don't have any of their products. I like the pricing, the marketing, the interaction with the public, I like that they listen to and do something with feedback so have no problems with the brand nor the individuals.
You guys should organize a meet and either debunk or witness the proof of the ABX test.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I don't think the better hearing people are actually interested in this.

Me I have done a few blind tests and could not care less any more. It made me stop believing a lot of the BS. I was a firm believer about 30 years ago till I started testing blind and level matched and build a nulling device.
Both myself and other people that were not even aware of me testing them made me stop believing in it (worked at a high-end store and had quite a few (unknowing) test subjects. They never knew I 'tested' a few of them.

I stopped associating with the 'better hearing' people and just nod friendly when they start to rant about their cables, risers and tweaks.
I don't need all that crap to fully enjoy the music in all its finest glory.

I am sure the Magni would pass my approval and so would the L50.

As I already stated... for a blind test to be used as 'evidence' of audible differences the test should be witnessed and the setup should be scrutinized/measured.
A simple thing as a not matching L-R track on a potmeter could already throw the test.

Last edited:

JK47

I don't think the better hearing people are actually interested in this.

Me I have done a few blind tests and could not care less any more. It made me stop believing a lot of the BS. I was a firm believer about 30 years ago till I started testing blind and level matched and build a nulling device.
Both myself and other people that were not even aware of me testing them made me stop believing in it (worked at a high-end store and had quite a few (unknowing) test subjects. They never knew I 'tested' a few of them.

I stopped associating with the 'better hearing' people and just nod friendly when they start to rant about their cables, risers and tweaks.
I don't need all that crap to fully enjoy the music in all its finest glory.

I am sure the Magni would pass my approval and so would the L50.
You don't have to attend, send someone else. If you guys don't believe, see it for yourselves in real life, pretty simple. Easy way to solve a lot of issues and put them to bed.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I can't attend... I'm in Europe and could not care less.
Perhaps someone with enough knowledge in your vicinity that is interested and has knowledge and test equipment to find out why and what (If there is an inexplicable difference) might be willing to attempt this.

Amir has offered to do this in the past ... but let's face it... no one at SBAF will be caught dead near Amir.
It is in the best interest of the audio industry that the mystery remains... their livelihood depends on the myths.

JK47

I can't attend... I'm in Europe and could not care less.
Perhaps someone with enough knowledge in your vicinity that is interested and has knowledge and test equipment to find out why and what (If there is an inexplicable difference) might be willing to attempt this.

Amir has offered to do this in the past ... but let's face it... no one at SBAF will be caught dead near Amir.
It is in the best interest of the audio industry that the mystery remains... their livelihood depends on the myths.
Ummm, no one at SBAF is scared of meeting Amir in person. Actually it would be welcomed there to have a face to face meet with blind ABX testing, cash on the line to the winner.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You can contact Amir and ask him.

Would love to see a video of Amir and Marvin shaking hands, sharing a drink while discussing audio and comparing their AP results.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Best to contact him via PM... daring Amir in public never ends well for obvious reasons.

Top Bottom