• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Magni 3+ and Heresy Headphone Amp Reviews

Yuno

Thanks. So even in the rare case I may forget to switch off my magni, it should still be fine and safe?
I never owned schiit product, I do however have dac/amp that has been powered on for about 2-3 years now, with very few instances of being powered off (I have UPS and basically it only gets powered off if I need to unplug everything for whatever reason or if my UPS battery runs out). Generally speaking with electronics, it is actually shutting off and on that wears it down, more so than just keeping things powered. The cases that you have found are probably cases of bad QC leading to things going bad.

unfit327

I never owned schiit product, I do however have dac/amp that has been powered on for about 2-3 years now, with very few instances of being powered off (I have UPS and basically it only gets powered off if I need to unplug everything for whatever reason or if my UPS battery runs out). Generally speaking with electronics, it is actually shutting off and on that wears it down, more so than just keeping things powered. The cases that you have found are probably cases of bad QC leading to things going bad.
Good to know. Thanks!

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am going to be unusually obnoxious...

I have been so poor in certain stages of my life that there were not two nickels to rub together; happily those days are over. Now, if I sneeze pretty hard, a Franklin disappears. Hopefully, it is the same for most members of this Forum.

That said, Schitt is to be lauded for improving their products and our being able to purchase a stupid good headphone amp for $99.00 is insane!

Come on folks... get real. Don't bash them over nit-piking... if you do not like the sound, that's one thing... send it back. Having an LED location you do not like... come on! I'll send you a 25 cent drill bit and you can poke a hole so you can see it... or maybe glue a tiny mirror.

That said, I am ordering one as soon as I finish this polemic and let the Forum know my opinion of the sound... hell, I may even try it on my Harbeth 40.1s or KEFs just for shitts and grins (pun intended).

sthEn

It's easy for you to say "just order it and return" when you're from US.
I'm from Poland.

Schiit stack will cost me:
99$ for Magni Heresy
99$ for Modi 3
19.20$ sales tax for shipping that to my cousin in New York
18.39$ for FedEx Shipping to him
30$ for my cousing to ship it to Poland

266$ total already + there's a chance of another 23% of taxes once it's in Poland, so it's suddenly 327$. And i don't even now if i'd like it, and i can't return that in obviously. Also keep in mind that polish currency is... "schiit", and buying anyting in USD and EUR is not exactly that cheap for me as it is for you :)

Now, i can buy used/returned Sabaj D5 from Amazon.de for 369.99 EUR total, without anything more.

So if i think about that, it doesn't make much sense for me to buy Schiit stack unless my cousing can just take it with him and fly to Poland. And we all know that's not going to happen soon because of Covid-19 :D

Asylum Seeker

I'm from Poland.

99$ for Magni Heresy
99$ for Modi 3

266$ total already + there's a chance of another 23% of taxes once it's in Poland, so it's suddenly 327$. And i don't even now if i'd like it, and i can't return that in obviously. Also keep in mind that polish currency is... "schiit", and buying anyting in USD and EUR is not exactly that cheap for me as it is for you :)

Now, i can buy used/returned Sabaj D5 from Amazon.de for 369.99 EUR total, without anything more.

So if i think about that, it doesn't make much sense for me to buy Schiit stack unless my cousing can just take it with him and fly to Poland. And we all know that's not going to happen soon because of Covid-19 :D
Pardon my impertinence but why do you have to import from US (or China)? Why doesn't Europe manufacture and sell quality low-Budget audio gear?

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
I'm from Poland.

Wow! That is seriously pricey...

I bought a March DAC from Australia... shipping was $40.00! A pittance compared to your expenses.

Where in Poland do you live? I have always considered your country as a beautiful place to visit.. 23% sales tax seems rather high, though.

sthEn

Wow! That is seriously pricey...

I bought a March DAC from Australia... shipping was $40.00! A pittance compared to your expenses.

Where in Poland do you live? I have always considered your country as a beautiful place to visit.. 23% sales tax seems rather high, though.

It is a beautiful place, especially when you live by the sea, won't argue with that :)

Pardon my impertinence but why do you have to import from US (or China)? Why doesn't Europe manufacture and sell quality low-Budget audio gear?

Schiit in Europe is completely out of stock - no can do. Also, their price in EUR is the same or even bigger than importing Schiit from US for my personal use.
I can of course buy other "quality low-Budget audio gear", but if i want Schiit Stack because of aesthetics - i don't have any other option really :)
I can buy Topping A50 + Khadas Tone Board for example with no problem at all - it's just i don't want to :D It's all about "i want Schiit", not "i need Schiit".

odyo

I'm from Poland.

99$ for Magni Heresy
99$ for Modi 3

I feel you. American budget dac amps are not really budget outside of US. Topping and SMSL my favourite but they are lacking a good amp so far. There is no heresy/atom equivalent amp from them. If i wanna buy heresy from schiit i need to pay $45 for shipping $20 for tax so it's $165 if i'm lucky because there could be additional costs because of custom process.

Nango

Major Contributor
I'm from Poland.

99$ for Magni Heresy
99$ for Modi 3

Schiit also sells from UK with no import taxes into EU countries but they use UPS Europe for shipping, the worst by far the very very worst carrier in the world, if I only had known, so be aware and avoid UPS in Europe whenever you can.

Edit: I also wrote to the email Schiit UK confirmed for shipping purposes but rvd no feedback. It is for sure the first and the only time I buy Schiit.

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Schiit also sells from UK with no import taxes into EU countries but they use UPS Europe for shipping, the worst by far the very very worst carrier in the world, if I only had known, so be aware and avoid UPS un Europe whenever you can.

Edit: I also wrote to the email Schiit UK confirmed for shipping purposes but rvd no feedback. It is for sure the first and the only time I buy Schiit.
schiit.co.uk is actually Electromod Ltd, an authorised distributor. I suppose you could blame Schiit for authorising them. Their delivery info page says DPD is another shipping option for EU deliveries, but perhaps it's only in some countries. I've only got as looking for a supplier and finding there's no stock.

schiit-europe.com is another authorised distributor similarly lacking in stock. They use GLS for shipping, a company I have no experience with. There's meant to be a Czech distributor too, but I haven't managed to track them down yet.

Nango

Major Contributor
schiit.co.uk is actually Electromod Ltd, an authorised distributor. I suppose you could blame Schiit for authorising them. Their delivery info page says DPD is another shipping option for EU deliveries, but perhaps it's only in some countries. I've only got as looking for a supplier and finding there's no stock.

schiit-europe.com is another authorised distributor similarly lacking in stock. They use GLS for shipping, a company I have no experience with. There's meant to be a Czech distributor too, but I haven't managed to track them down yet.
I don't care whether it is direct Schiit or just indirectly Schiit, to me it is just one "Schiit". Done.

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
It is a beautiful place, especially when you live by the sea, won't argue with that :)

I just read in “The Absolute Sound” about a Hi-Fi show in Warsaw... did you attend?
]

mc.god

I can confirm great difficulties getting these amps in Europe, I ordered a magni 3+ from schiit-uk yesterday as it came back in stock, today it's out of stock again... Didn't get confirmation of shipment yet, so I don't know if order is legit... Anyway it was 150€ shipped to Rome, only feasible alternative is Liquid Spark from a french seller, come back in stock yesterday too, for about the same cost.

Last edited:

odyo

I can confirm great difficulties getting these amps in Europe, I ordered a magni 3+ from schiit-uk yesterday as it came back in stock, today it's out of stock again... Didn't get confirmation of shipment yet, so I don't know if order is legit... Anyway it was 150€ shipped to Rome, only feasible alternative is Liquid Spark from a french seller, come back in stock yesterday too, for about the same cost.
Schiit more like local us store. I recommend topping and smsl stuff.

mc.god

Schiit more like local us store. I recommend topping and smsl stuff.
I'm going to buy an head amp just because I want something with output impedance as low as possible in order to replace the headphone output of my old and loved pre Denon PRA-1500, since i measured it with a multimeter and it has an abysmal ~150 ohm... I have only 32 ohm or lower headphones so the synergy is likely horrible and I want to check how much they can change with a correct impedance ratio. I was interested in Topping A30, but it'not that good regarding output impedance, and anyway at the moment, probably due to covid issues, even SMSL and Topping can't be found eaasily in italy, if not shipped from China.

odyo

I'm going to buy an head amp just because I want something with output impedance as low as possible in order to replace the headphone output of my old and loved pre Denon PRA-1500, since i measured it with a multimeter and it has an abysmal ~150 ohm... I have only 32 ohm or lower headphones so the synergy is likely horrible and I want to check how much they can change with a correct impedance ratio. I was interested in Topping A30, but it'not that good regarding output impedance, and anyway at the moment, probably due to covid issues, even SMSL and Topping can't be found eaasily in italy, if not shipped from China.
They gonna release Topping L30 soon. It looks really good, better than Heresy but you have to wait for it. Currently JDS and Schiit amps are best. I'll wait for the L30 personally. I didn't like Schiit's attitude and ridiculous shipping cost.

WSM_2020

ThanX to this review, I've found out that Heresy IS NOT a rebranding of the "old" Magni 3. The more so is true about Magni 3+ Then I wonder why on earth Schiit continue to sell Heresy and 3+ under the label Magni 3?! It is quite misleading, and unfair to the customers, to say the least!

But Heresy is still top-notch indeed and looking extremely interesting for me, I'd love to have one, but it would cost me nearly 1.5 times the price of JDS Atom, so ...
As for Topping, I am eager to change my good old brave Yulong U100 for E30 some time, but now head amp is a priority for me ...

Last edited:

chahahc

According to Schiit's own published measurements, under a 32ohm load @ 175mVrms, the magni heresy produces more higher order distortion products than the magni 3+. Interesting seeing as higher order distortion is more audible than lower order distortion, and distortion increases in audibility the lower the signal levels. Now whether or not this difference is audible is anyone's guess.
magni3plus highgain 32ohm 175mVrms.png
magniheresy highgain 32ohm 175mVrms .png

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I'm going to buy an head amp just because I want something with output impedance as low as possible in order to replace the headphone output of my old and loved pre Denon PRA-1500, since i measured it with a multimeter and it has an abysmal ~150 ohm... I have only 32 ohm or lower headphones so the synergy is likely horrible and I want to check how much they can change with a correct impedance ratio.

You can use the PRA1500 line outs directly. Hook up the headphones directly to the RCA (needs a converter wire obviously) as the output R is 4.7 Ohm which is good enough for almost any cases.
You can use the HP out and use that as the pre-out.

This way you can listen to what the gain would be in SQ.

When you are handy with a soldering iron you can bypass the output resistors in the headphone path and output resistance becomes the same 4.7 Ohm.
schematic

mc.god

You can use the PRA1500 line outs directly. Hook up the headphones directly to the RCA (needs a converter wire obviously) as the output R is 4.7 Ohm which is good enough for almost any cases.
You can use the HP out and use that as the pre-out.

This way you can listen to what the gain would be in SQ.

When you are handy with a soldering iron you can bypass the output resistors in the headphone path and output resistance becomes the same 4.7 Ohm.
schematic

Thank you for your advice, I always appreciate alternative and intruguing ideas like this, but there is something I don't understand, maybe I'm missing somthing: on the linked service manual (i already had this from a long time since I'm always curious about how my gear is implemented) RCA pre outs are rated at 10 Ohm, not 4.7, that is low but not as musch as I desire. Unless you refer to tape rec-out, for witch I can't guess impedence but that is obviously not regulated via volpot.

Unfortunately my soldering and circuits reading skills are not much, so I don't trust myself messing around the pcb of a perfectly working device at the risk of making a disaster, it is something I'd like to improve since i always liked diy projects, but the Denon clearly isn't the right practice ground.

Anyway my magni 3+ is on the way and should be delivered tomorrow. Other than the tecnical impedance reason, I need to replace the Denon for practice reasons too. Sadly at the moment I'm low on space and can't use my old hi-fi system, the Denon is used just with the Tone Board as source from my pc and with its full sized 43 cm it's really a waste of space on my desk.

Last edited:
Top Bottom