• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Jotunheim 2 Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
YouTube will release you from your spelling and miss type blundering hell ..

Clearly Bill Gates didn't discriminate against such gaffs so who are we mere mortals to judge .

Your various gaffs instill hope to millions of illiterates like me ha ha

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
YouTube will release you from your spelling and miss type blundering hell ..

Clearly Bill Gates didn't discriminate against such gaffs so who are we mere mortals to judge .

Your various gaffs instill hope to millions of illiterates like me ha ha

Don't do yourself down. Semi-literate.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
At 41 I will take a ' semi ' on a Friday evening after a hards days graft and following libations .

Theres some hungry boys on here would take you up on that offer. #asrgrindr #givesavageasemiforeaster

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
same as others, I don't get why they would release worse products at higher prices.

lower tier Magnius/Modius is just better :facepalm:

Because not everyone agrees that only measurements matter. There's a market. Schiit offers both 'well measuring' & 'voiced' products to their customers, and they are very transparent about it. It's called choice.

Because audiophoolery. Providing what some customers want (multi-bit magic and all that).

I fail to see how it is "audiophoolery" when Schiit is open and honest about what they offer. And they provide choices for the customer if one wants well measuring alternatives.

I'm relatively new to ASR but It seems that Schiit gets shit on a lot. What's the deal?

Zensō

Major Contributor
I fail to see how it is "audiophoolery" when Schiit is open and honest about what they offer. And they provide choices for the customer if one wants well measuring alternatives.

My comment was directed at the general idea that there’s some mysterious magic in things like multi-bit DACs, silver headphone cables, and green felt markers. Schiit is no more or less guilty than many other audio companies when it comes to catering to this irrational market.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Off topic, but, anyone know how to send a short cellphone video by private message on here? Asking for a friend. :facepalm:

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
My comment was directed at the general idea that there’s some mysterious magic in things like multi-bit DACs, silver headphone cables, and green felt markers. Schiit is no more or less guilty than many other audio companies when it comes to catering to this irrational market.

R2R is on the same plane as green felt markers?

HiFidFan

Forum Donor

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
We could have a long discussion about R2R DACs but it would be a complete waste of your and my time.

I would love to hear a defense of how resistor ladder circuits are akin to green marker on CDs. Truly.

Vasr

Major Contributor
I tend to like the serious, look of the black edition although the silver volume control stands out a bit much:

I have always felt this to be a problem with black Schiit with volume controls.

The Silver/Black difference is just the one sheet covering top and front. So, they get to share the volume knob which is better matched with silver.

So, black equipment looks like using your Mac in dark mode and having that one app that doesn't do dark mode.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would love to hear a defense of how resistor ladder circuits are akin to green marker on CDs. Truly.

The primary difference I see is that green markers have no real effect, whereas R2R DAC architecture is most likely to have a detrimental effect, as has been proven by every one that has been measured here.

For those who believe R2R or Green Markers make an audible improvement, please prove it in a blind test.

ADD: there is a long discussion of R2R here. As a result I changed "certain" to have a detrimental effect to "most likely", because some extremely expensive R2R Dacs measure OK.

Last edited:

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
What are you talking about? How is mb mysterious magic? Have you read their explanation for why it's superior? Makes a lot of sense actually. Nothing mysterious about it. Have you graduated elementary school, perhaps read the literature and remove your confusion.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
The primary difference I see is that green markers have no real effect, whereas R2R DAC architecture is almost certain to have a detrimental effect, as has been proven by every one that has been measured here.

For those who believe R2R or Green Markers make an audible improvement, please prove it in a blind test.

Denafrips Ares II

Detrimental effect. Hmmmm. . . Apparently it bests about 150 DACs ( as of Ares II test date) tested on ASR

Blind test the Denafrips Ares II against the current top rated DAC and see if there's an audible difference.

I can wait. . .

Last edited:
Top Bottom