• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Samsung Entering the High End Audio Business

fas42

Major Contributor
Easy way out - why there's Toyota, and Lexus; Nissan, and Infiniti, and so on ...

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Easy way out - why there's Toyota, and Lexus; Nissan, and Infiniti, and so on ...
Even so, the customer will know this. Lexus will never have the cachet of Bentley or Jaguar.

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In part I understand what he's getting at - I have yet to hear a JBL speaker in operation deliver sound I could live with; of course this is a "fault" of the system tune at the time, but it demonstrates that such a speaker in a non-optimised setup can't "compensate" for failings elsewhere - what one hears is a type of refined PA quality, which would great for live rock recordings, etc - but won't work for music styles at a great distances from such.

Even a greater spew of nonsense than the original comment it's referring to.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Did he really call Revel and JBL speakers dreadful, at least implicitly if not explicitly? Whoa!

He did. But relatively speaking, PS Audio is a tiny boutique manufacturer with nothing approaching the resources required to research, develop and produce the products that Harman does. There is absolutely no benefit, to him, in admiring their methodology or their products. All the benefit is in criticizing and attempting to discredit that which is far out of his reach.

Tim

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
He did. But relatively speaking, PS Audio is a tiny boutique manufacturer with nothing approaching the resources required to research, develop and produce the products that Harman does. There is absolutely no benefit, to him, in admiring their methodology or their products. All the benefit is in criticizing and attempting to discredit that which is far out of his reach.

Tim
Right. He is part of the boutiquey high end audio frat! Do you get it, bro?

fas42

Major Contributor
Even so, the customer will know this. Lexus will never have the cachet of Bentley or Jaguar.
Yes, that is not stopping 'professional' people buying Lexus! - because, they know they're getting excellent value for money premium goods, just by referencing the brand. Effectively, a different market segment - smart people, who want good stuff, for whom being a wanker is not a number one priority ...

fas42

Major Contributor
Even a greater spew of nonsense than the original comment it's referring to.

Tim
Ahh, good ol' reliable Tim, can always be trusted to get the Nicest Comment Of The Day award ...

Phelonious Ponk

Ahh, good ol' reliable Tim, can always be trusted to get the Nicest Comment Of The Day award ...

Sorry, Frank, that was a little harsh. Let's just keep the "nonsense" and call it a day.

Tim

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
View attachment 2141 This is where I stopped reading:
"We’ve never made a product that didn’t measure well and we always start with that process."
Is this what BS audio calls measuring "well?"
According to John Atkinson he didn't fare much better with his little Sprout?

"Though the Sprout didn't excel in any area of measured performance, it compensates for that with its affordable price and considerable flexibility. "

Of course it then gets the major advertiser nod/wink and excuses are made. LOL
http://www.stereophile.com/content/...ed-amplifier-measurements#EVPUPu1FeQRxyLMm.97

fas42

Major Contributor

fas42

Major Contributor
An interesting sidenote to McGowan pouring muck on Levinson and Harman from somewhat of a height - the Aussie chap who did the Eidetics amplifier down under many years ago, which was as ugly as sin, but was the one and only amp I came across back in those desert years, about two decades ago, that was capable of producing both good dynamics and tonality, in just a rough demo ... he was the amplifier designer at Levinson prior to that, but was having a terrible time getting the company to understand what was important in the design - and gave up, the frustration of getting nowhere meant an end of that period.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I hand out the awards!

Tim wins cynical bugger of the year award he might as well keep the trophy...

Oh you don't win any awards but I have named one after you...,

The Mad Frank award, still figuring out what it's for but can't seem to find anything relevant to attach it to... Umm!

fas42

Major Contributor
Pretty obvious ... best bit of ideation goin' on ...

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
This is good news. Samsung can do it ... if they can support service to their customers.
I bet they can build hi-end audio components to compete with Yamaha audio hi-end products.

As to what others have to say; time will tell. Past is not necessarily reflective of the future...people can change and improve themselves further, and wider.

Yamaha is big, Sony is big, Samsung is big in Japan. ...Samsung is not from Japan?
It don't really matter. Competition is good for McIntosh and Apple. :)

LG, Panasonic, Cortana, Windows, MQA, Pono, Quantum DOT, HDR, OLED, 4K, Dolby Vision, DTS:X ...all that jazz. Bring it on Samsung!

iridium

Bentley = $1,100.00 oil change; ca-ching plus cachet.

But, I do love the interiors.

iridium

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Yes but the Bentley owner doesn't do it (the oil change), and doesn't present his credit card to his car dealer; his private chauffeur does.
Anyway, can't compare Samsung hi-yend audio with Bentley luxury car...they use completely different part numbers.

Werner

Some twenty years ago Samsung attempted to enter this market. They launched a decidedly high-end preamp, power amp, and speakers.

The electronics resembled Mark Levingson gear, inside and outside. I don't remember if there was any connection with MLAS.

The speakers were very tall four ways, IIRC, with a curved top housing midrange and tweeters. I have no idea who designed them.

fas42

Major Contributor

Werner

Thanks. That saves me from digging through packs of old photographs.

Top Bottom