• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A20d 2022 Version Owners Feedback

OP
B

BHazard

S59c2e5440038456a8ba81241331f71fcG.jpg

Sabaj's staff (Aliexpress store) told me 4.4mm HP output is not truly balanced... :rolleyes:
Well that's not cool. "True Balanced Output" is a definitive statement.

cestmoi

Well that's not cool. "True Balanced Output" is a definitive statement.

I still believe we have a misunderstanding about that (e.g. between specs from XLR and HP outputs), otherwise Chifi companies have gone too far in their marketing.

lawk

I think the a10d 2022 makes no claims about true balanced but also has 4.4mm but it has a more simple display and uses 2xESS chips of a different model.

but a20d does claim true balanced in the ad.

cestmoi

S718d49a43f6f4d51bfb7726762cb7cc9s.jpg

Some specs were updated.
It is now confirmed that the 4.4mm HP output is indeed non-balanced.
Case closed!

Last edited:
OP
B

BHazard

At least they fixed it. That's too bad, but now i wonder if anything else might not be correct as well.
Since I'm not really using the amp it's not much of an impact, but that was a case of too good to be true.

cestmoi

Now, A20d seems more as an expensive dac/amp combo with some pointless features as MQA and non-balanced 4.4mm connector.

With A20d, Sabaj took the same misleading road taken by Topping.

Wardy

Nice aluminum unit, the handles are very distinctive.

So far I've been using unbalanced headphones (Senheiser HD 599SE's) which sound good to me. Just plugged in some Adam Audio A4V's via XLR as they've just arrived and I'm also getting used to them. First impressions are lovely and clear but I don't have anything else close in terms of quality to compare with.

mario_rouge

S718d49a43f6f4d51bfb7726762cb7cc9s.jpg

Some specs were updated.
It is now confirmed that the 4.4mm HP output is indeed non-balanced.
Case closed!

on the official website of Sabaj they still say true balanced, they should correct there too.

Last edited:
OP
B

BHazard

My chain is:
Windows 11 w Equalizer APO & Peace > Sabaj a20d 2022 > Schitt Lokius > Monoprice THX-887 > Hifiman Edition XS

I wouldn't consider this a "budget" setup since it approaches $1,500, but there is huge bang for the buck in this. Considering that you can skip the Lokius and 887 completely depending on your headphones, you can get decently close for under a grand with the Sabaj and XS alone.

Yes, despite running a PEQ I still use the Lokius for that little bit of extra analog tweaking that I can't get from software alone. The end result of this chain has been my best desktop audio experience yet. I thoroughly enjoy Tidal and the rest of my collection on this.

OP
B

BHazard

@BHazard Could you notice any sound difference between a20d and thx 887?
Yes, the 887 is better, but In everyday listening, it's difficult to tell.

A20D 2022 is ~72 of 99 on the volume knob, high gain
887 is on low gain ~60% volume

It's difficult to notice any major differences between them by ear without A/B ing them. This would not be the case with more power hungry headphones though, as the XS are decently efficient. The 887 is more "controlled" in the highs and holds bass better, but without an A/B you would be hard pressed to tell the difference and you could save ~$250-350 in the process. I think there just isn't enough power at times compared to the 887 and 2W @32ohm for the built in HPA could have made a big difference, but the built in HPA is completely listenable with my XS.

With the Lokius and 887 engaged it's a different experience. I'm able to dial up my personal preference sub and midbass boost without noticeable distortion, with analog knobs, and tweak the volume exactly where I want it with analog knobs as well. The power and clarity at this boost is something the a20d 2022 and software EQ alone cannot do alone as the HPA just isn't anywhere near as strong and may not measure as well in SNR/THD as the 887.

Last edited:

audiofun

Amir reviewed the A10d 2022 https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...sabaj-a10d-2022-version-review-dac-amp.34918/

I have no doubt the A20d 2022 is going to measure even better. If the amp is shared between models, this should get near 1.5W @32ohm per the review as well (but with a lower SNR than expected).

I feel even better now that I made the right choice going with this.
amp is not shared. the 10d uses discrete components. 20d uses tpa6120a2. both are in nested feedback loop.

Guara

Hi, I own a a20d 2022 since a month, sometimes I'm having a strange issue after I play some DSD, the dac starts to randomly disconnect and reconnect itself from the PC (Linux 5.17/5.18) switching modality from dsd to pcm and back to dsd, interrupting the playback. Anyone is having similar problems?
EDIT: Doing more tests, I think is unrelated to the the file format, or the pc, because it seems happening only with very high volume levels (81+)

Last edited:

Wardy

Hi, I own a a20d 2022 since a month, sometimes I'm having a strange issue after I play some DSD, the dac starts to randomly disconnect and reconnect itself from the PC (Linux 5.17/5.18) switching modality from dsd to pcm and back to dsd, interrupting the playback. Anyone is having similar problems?
EDIT: Doing more tests, I think is unrelated to the the file format, or the pc, because it seems happening only with very high volume levels (81+)
Only on windows so far also no DSD but had no disconnect issues.

OP
B

BHazard

Have you tried on Windows or Mac? Could be a Linux driver related issue.
No issues on mine, but I have not tested DSD yet.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Have you tried on Windows or Mac? Could be a Linux driver related issue.
No issues on mine, but I have not tested DSD yet.
The Linux driver for the USB component XU208* is here from ages and there is no error in this piece of code.

Before accusing Linux you should have a look on the pack of shit Windows is.

*XU216

Last edited:
Top Bottom