• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A20d 2022 Version Owners Feedback

kickanoob

Hi, I own a a20d 2022 since a month, sometimes I'm having a strange issue after I play some DSD, the dac starts to randomly disconnect and reconnect itself from the PC (Linux 5.17/5.18) switching modality from dsd to pcm and back to dsd, interrupting the playback. Anyone is having similar problems?
EDIT: Doing more tests, I think is unrelated to the the file format, or the pc, because it seems happening only with very high volume levels (81+)
Just got mine today. Having disconnects too but on pcm and windows. Variable pre mode.

Edit: Solved the problem. Didn't realise I was using a USB 2.0 port. Swapped to 3.1 and it is good now.

Last edited:

James-F

Anyone knows if Sabaj is a subsidiary of SMSL?

I have compared A20d and M500 MKII manuals and they are identical to the letter.
The M500 MKII has additional "Sound Color" option (probably similar to Topping Valve/Transistor option) which Sabaj omitted but other than that it is identical.
Unless Sabaj is a daughter company to SMSL they would have to clone the hardware and dump the ROM from the microcontroller to claim the same specs and features.

A20d Manual

M500 MKII Manual

Last edited:

Foxenfurter

I placed an order for the Sabaj on 17th Jun with Hifi-express and got it today 28th Jun. Price paid was 397 USD. I chose the option to ship from UK and it came via Royal Mail. So far I haven't had to pay any extras but I got stung before so will update if this changes.

I got this because I wanted an all in one DAC/HPA which measures well with remote, balanced and LDAC that measures well and that I find visually attractive. I was seriously considering the Toppings EX5 and DX5 but they were just not cosmetically appealing, also SMSL D0100 and H0100 which I like the look of but ergonomically I wanted a single device.

This will replace an Eximus DP1 - I am not expecting to hear any differences, but will post if I find anything abnormal.

OP
B

BHazard

Anyone knows if Sabaj is a subsidiary of SMSL?

I have compared A20d and M500 MKII manuals and they are identical to the letter.
The M500 MKII has additional "Sound Color" option (probably similar to Topping Valve/Transistor option) which Sabaj omitted but other than that it is identical.
Unless Sabaj is a daughter company to SMSL they would have to clone the hardware and dump the ROM from the microcontroller to claim the same specs and features.

A20d Manual

M500 MKII Manual
Not confirmed, but I think Sabaj is a sister company of SMSL.

nonnyno

Am thinking that the a20d with a topping a90d would give you one heck of a competing system to a d90se plus a90d with the benefit of two headphone sockets and a backup amp if the main amp failed for round about 500 gbp less money

Last edited:
OP
B

BHazard

Am think that the a20d with a topping a90d would give you one heck of a competing system to a d90se plus a90d with the benefit of two headphone sockets and a backup amp if the main amp failed for round about 500 gbp less money
Only thing missing for now are the measurements to prove it. I think so too.
This plus my Monoprice 887 is a powerful setup for a lot less money than similar setups.

Hxx

noob question but can you control volume on this unit via the windows volume ? Meaning is the volume pot digital?
Also is this unit fully functional without the remote? Meaning if you lose the remote do u lose any functionality?

Also just FYI if you are in the US (not sure if it works for other countries) - use code JUN30 on aliexpress Sabaj store to get $30 off. This expires tomorrow i think. Ive got it in my cart for less than $340 before taxes. Crazy price.

Wolven

noob question but can you control volume on this unit via the windows volume ? Meaning is the volume pot digital?
Also is this unit fully functional without the remote? Meaning if you lose the remote do u lose any functionality?

Also just FYI if you are in the US (not sure if it works for other countries) - use code JUN30 on aliexpress Sabaj store to get $30 off. This expires tomorrow i think. Ive got it in my cart for less than $340 before taxes. Crazy price.
The promo code doesn't work for Canada, too bad. I can get it for 368 with free shipping.

OP
B

BHazard

Volume pot is digital.

James-F

Didn't Amir receive a review unit a week ago?
I hope to read a good review soon.

Sinquito

I bit the bullet and bought this baby on Aliexpress for 362 shipped after using all the discounts I could. I never had a desktop amplifier/dac before so I hope it’s a improvement over my portable DACs. My plan is to use it mostly with a Drop Dan Clark Aeon Closed which I’m yet to buy. My old trusty topping nx4 can drive decently my HD600 and ATH R70x, but still I want to try them with the Sabaj.

ces04848

Mine has no output and PROT displaying for Hz after a few hours...

I assume this is protection mode? I was using USB input and XLR out fixed level into preamp. If anyone knows quick fix let me know! Manual doesn't mention error codes as far as I can tell.

OP
B

BHazard

The A20d 2022 may not actually play DSD512.
I was able to get DSD256 working with Foobar, but I tested DSD512 and it won't play.
I rarely would ever use this, but something to keep in mind if someone is specifically looking for this. Maybe it's a bug that can be fixed via a firmware update?

nsfgp

The A20d 2022 may not actually play DSD512.
I was able to get DSD256 working with Foobar, but I tested DSD512 and it won't play.
I rarely would ever use this, but something to keep in mind if someone is specifically looking for this. Maybe it's a bug that can be fixed via a firmware update?
Most likely your Foobar is doing DoP now ... not native DSD. Your DAC is a 768K PCM DAC(up to 256DoP only) so cannot do 512DoP (needs a 1.4Mhz DAC).

If you only have the foo_input_sacd plugin installed/setup for your Foobar it only works in DoP mode. Works great for most people w/ WASAPI and no need to mess with any ASIO drivers. To play DSD512 contents (99.9% contents out there are just test clips I believe ... lol) just set up the DSD processor to play DSD512/1024 as DSD256/SDM type D and you are done.
To do native DSD you need to setup the dsd_transcoder plugin as well and have ASIO drivers working as well for the DAC. Then it should work with your A20d in native DSD512 mode. IMHO not necessary for most people.

See https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.co...-part-3-new-experimental-sacd-plugin-v-0-9-x/

Top Bottom