• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rugs

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have rugs on top of carpet on top of felt underlay on top of concrete floor. IMV it all helps.

Two big rugs - a tenner each from the local market (25 years ago when there was such a thing as the local market).

I like the idea of investing in a proper Persian rug, but I would probably get chocolate on it.

jeroboam

Quick primer on the economics of Persian rugs: the best ones are handmade with very high thread count using fine silk and wool. The people who make them had to undergo years of apprenticeship under supervision of a master. To make one rug takes a team of artisans months to weave, and they don't get paid very much. The only reason you can buy these rugs at a "reasonable" price is because of political conditions in Iran - they are desperately poor, many of the children have no future, and they have to do this to survive. Some of them escape from Iran and start audio forums like this one ;)

Remember that Iran is sitting on huge reserves of oil, and the only reason they are poor is because of international sanctions and their pariah state status. Look at where they are on the map, how much arable land they have, and you realize they have a lot of georgraphic advantages. All it takes is a change of government, the lifting of sanctions, and the prosperity of Iran will improve immediately. They will reclaim their traditional status as a Middle Eastern superpower.

What this means for the rug business is that all these weavers will have something better to do. The available pool of weavers will go down just as wages go up. That will cause the price of new rugs to shoot through the roof through a combination of scarcity and increased production costs. To meet demand, more new rugs will be produced by weaving machines (and before you ask, you can easily tell the difference in quality between a hand weaved rug and a machine weaved rug). This means that hand made rugs will become scarce, and whatever you own will increase in value.

Make no mistake, a well maintained hand made Persian rug is an investment. If you think they are expensive now, wait till you see what happens if there is a change of government in Iran. All this is understood by collectors of fine Persian rugs. You could say that anybody who buys a fine Persian rug is effectively exploiting underprivileged Iranian workers, but that is the reality of the current situation. They won't be underprivileged forever, and when that happens you definitely won't be able to afford a Persian rug.

Sadly, I am not one of those "collectors". I own a couple of pieces of average value rugs, but I would really love to own a masterpiece. It would cost less than my audio system, yet be worth more by the time I die. The rug in my listening room is not Persian, it is a thick wool rug of a modern design. The reason I use it is because (1) it is affordable, (2) it works as room treatment, and (3) to buy a Persian rug that size would be stonkingly expensive.

(To the moderators, I am NOT being political. I am only discussing the economics of Persian rugs!)
PEDANT ALERT - the past tense of weave is woven :)
I'll just stick with my machine woven wool job.

Todd k

Forum Donor
I hadn't looked in this thread till now. Was worth it to remind me sometimes people hang rugs on walls. I like it. Was even in a rug store earlier this week and they had a couple that would do for my two bare walls.

I do have a question though. How does the Roomba plugged in below the rug make it up on the wall to keep the rug vacuumed?

And what did you hang it with?

@Todd k
The roomba is unfortunately floor bound. Two rows of architectural tack strip at the top (Floorcovering tack strip used in heavy duty commercial installs, I owned a Floorcovering store for 40 years) a very talented carpet installer with me as his helper. That rug is very thick about 1 1/2” and heavy, about 100lbs. Does not seem heavy until u try to lift about 11 ft up. My arms were shaking by the time we got it hung.

DavidShe

Broadband absorption can be achieved through the acoustic treatment of walls and ceilings. Rugs offer absorption primarily in higher frequencies. Purists may object to rugs due to the coloration of reflected sound.

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Especially when it's a hunting dog (as in you actually go hunting with it) and you just cleaned the sliding glass door when a squirrel comes right up to the sliding glass door to investigate the den. And from across the den the springer spaniel gets to build up some speed before he realizes that the glass door, is, in fact, closed.
Absolutely hilarious!
Reminds me of when they cleaned the plate glass door at a local pub. Great entertainment for us sitting in the garden. One poor surprised punter left a kiss mark.

Reactions: EJ3

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Reminds me of when they cleaned the plate glass door at a local pub. Great entertainment for us sitting in the garden. Several hit it. One poor surprised punter left a kiss mark.

Reactions: EJ3
Top Bottom