• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roon - Non existing support

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Not quite. They sell fanless boxes. Not as easy as putting a noisy NUC in your living room. Also the markup is far from what is common in the high end audio field. You are (literaly) free to install their flavour of linux on a NUC they specify.
My fanless box is 250€.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
My fanless box is 250€.
That sounds great. I would really appreciate a link where I can buy one at that price assembled with warranty and Intel i5/i7 or comparable CPU.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
If you have a QNAP, Synology, or Asustor NAS, you can do away with using a NUC or other PC entirely and instead run Roon Server directly on the NAS.
That requires a NAS with Intel (x64) processor. My QNAP has an ARM processor so no chance.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
OK, I just looked at my Roon library:
315 artists, 1386 albums, 26113 tracks. I have no idea if that is considered a small, medium, or large Roon library.
I would consider it medium but the numbers, themselves, are the point. Roon does provide some guidance as to what is needed for such a library.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would consider it medium but the numbers, themselves, are the point. Roon does provide some guidance as to what is needed for such a library.
Sure. My experience has been that my Asustor NAS is perfectly capable of running Roon Server for a library of this size. No need for a NUC, Nucleus, ROCK, or a PC. Less network complexity and one less point of failure.

Top Bottom