• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME babyface first gen

Marty111

Hi!
How does the dac of the RME babyface first gen compare today?
(I will be using only 16bit 44.1khz and 24bit 48khz), so I'm not interested in higher settings).
Thank you.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Converter complement:
AD: AKM AK5385B
Preamps: Burr Brown PGA2505

DA: Burr Brown PCM4104
Output opamps: JRC4580
Babyface specs:
Dynamic range DA: 112 dB RMS unweighted, 115 dBA
THD DA: < -104 dB (< 0.00063%)
THD+N DA: < -100 dB (< 0.001%)
Crosstalk DA: > 110 dB
Maximum Output Level @ 0 dBFS Line: +15 dBu
Maximum Output Level @ 0 dBFS Phones: +8 dBu
PCM4104 specs (48 kHz):
DR 118dB(A) typ, 112 dB(A) min
THD+N -100 dB
The datasheet indicates THD of about -107 dBr. THD+N seems to be limited by an increase in noise floor at high levels.
No idea whether the part is subject to 0 dBFS hard-limiting, but on a computer that should be easy to avoid anyway.

As typical for RME, they seem to have gotten pretty close to converter spec. I'm assuming the trusty NJM4580 is holding DAC THD back a bit, some improvements in measured performance are likely to be feasible with a higher-performance part. Internal supplies presumably are +/-5 V. The output may well be fixed level with digital attenuation only, so expect line output noise levels of ca. -100 dBu(A) (8 µV(A)).

I'd say there is little wrong with the DAC if you can get such a Babyface at a good price. It's still better than a typical CS4272 job (Scarlett 2i2 gen3 etc.). There is little doubt that a MOTU M2 beats it in measured performance though, and the Audient iD4/14 MkII (even if its output tops out at +12 dBu) would be a hot contender as well.
On the ADC side I would prefer the old AK5385B to a new-fangled AK555x though (dynamic range may be a few dB less but digital filter performance is not even close), so points for the Babyface there. (I'm sure the ADC input stage could use a bit of help, given that the AK5385B is rated at -103 dB THD+N.) Same goes for build.
Now the PCM2505 mic preamp, while excellent in dynamic range (EIN still is -119 dBu at +9 dB gain, where max input level should be +3 dBu), tops out at a so-so EIN of about -123.5 dBu, though there is no indicated of it being A-wtd, so could be 20 kHz flat or approx. -125.8 dBu(A). Great for condenser but not quite the last word for dynamic mics... though when you can pick up a Klark Teknik mic booster for 35 bucks, it's not such a super big deal.

Last edited:

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Converter complement:

Babyface specs:

PCM4104 specs (48 kHz):
DR 118dB(A) typ, 112 dB(A) min
THD+N -100 dB
The datasheet indicates THD of about -107 dBr. THD+N seems to be limited by an increase in noise floor at high levels.
No idea whether the part is subject to 0 dBFS hard-limiting, but on a computer that should be easy to avoid anyway.

As typical for RME, they seem to have gotten pretty close to converter spec. I'm assuming the trusty NJM4580 is holding DAC THD back a bit, some improvements in measured performance are likely to be feasible with a higher-performance part. Internal supplies presumably are +/-5 V. The output may well be fixed level with digital attenuation only, so expect line output noise levels of ca. -100 dBu(A) (8 µV(A)).

I'd say there is little wrong with the DAC if you can get such a Babyface at a good price. It's still better than a typical CS4272 job (Scarlett 2i2 gen3 etc.). There is little doubt that a MOTU M2 beats it in measured performance though, and the Audient iD4/14 MkII (even if its output tops out at +12 dBu) would be a hot contender as well.
On the ADC side I would prefer the old AK5385B to a new-fangled AK555x though (dynamic range may be a few dB less but digital filter performance is not even close), so points for the Babyface there. (I'm sure the ADC input stage could use a bit of help, given that the AK5385B is rated at -103 dB THD+N.) Same goes for build.
Now the PCM2505 mic preamp, while excellent in dynamic range (EIN still is -119 dBu at +9 dB gain, where max input level should be +3 dBu), tops out at a so-so EIN of about -123.5 dBu, though there is no indicated of it being A-wtd, so could be 20 kHz flat or approx. -125.8 dBu(A). Great for condenser but not quite the last word for dynamic mics... though when you can pick up a Klark Teknik mic booster for 35 bucks, it's not such a super big deal.
Apart from the performance specs (which are IMO solid), I'd just add that the RME might be worth considering for their legendary driver and SW support alone.
My 10 year old interface is still getting latest driver (and sometimes firmware) updates. Also, I find the TotalMixFX SW mixer incredibly useful - especially the 3-band PEQ and flexible routing capabilities.

Tarnith

Not to bump a dead thread, but just wanted to add my Babyface is still getting updates and going strong as well. It's a bit long in the tooth, but still amazing for it's age and the driver beats everything else (just got an update a few weeks ago)