• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Any recommendations on where to purchase the ADI-2-DAC FS (v2) ? Best online store? Thanks!
Best say what country /region you're in.

MathBone

Oops, sorry about that. Anywhere online that ships to America works for me. I'm just not sure what online sites are reputable and I'm tired of buying everything from Amazon so I'd be happy to support an audiophile site instead. Thanks in advance!

mrbungle

Got mine from bhphotovideo.com. Sweetwater.com has it in stock too. Both as reputable as it gets and super fast shipping.

butch111

+1 for the ADI-2 Pro version, just get a double 6.3 mm cable (or adapter) and set the internal amp as balanced and you are set.

I turn on and off by resting the 4 fingers on top of the case and pressing the power button with the thumb. This prevents it from sliding around.

Have ordered a Violectric V281 now.....we will see how it drives my phones against the RME

Satyadhara

Is anyone of you using the RME ADI-2 FS to drive the Meze Empyrean? Would be very interested in reading some first-hand experience with that combo.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it fair to say that with 24 DB of built-in headroom you don't have to worry about preamp settings when you're doing eq?

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also must say that the menuing and setting system on this thing is the most infuriating of any device in living memory.

Great example, I go through all the settings to dial in an EQ and save to a free preset and it saves and add the designation (lin). I go back to look at the preset and it's all zeros. I go through the whole thing again and save and it works and saves to a normal preset...

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also must say that the menuing and setting system on this thing is the most infuriating of any device in living memory.

Great example, I go through all the settings to dial in an EQ and save to a free preset and it saves and add the designation (lin). I go back to look at the preset and it's all zeros. I go through the whole thing again and save and it works and saves to a normal preset...

Last confirmation of the day.. you have to physically pull the headphone jack out for line out to powered speakers?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Last confirmation of the day.. you have to physically pull the headphone jack out for line out to powered speakers?
No, hold volume button down to change output (or you can set it so it outputs to headamp and rear Jacks at same time

jokan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
FYI, the latest firmware is 35, released a few weeks ago if it hasn't been posted.
They had planned on a more substantial firmware update but RME users forum ran by RME stated that Covid has slowed down the roll out.
This smaller update does make some changes which you can read when you dl and install the update.

https://www.rme-usa.com/adi-2-dac.html

just click on drivers, or downloads.

RME users should join their official forum as they have all the information.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Push it in. It switches between outputs.
It actually didn't... I push it all the way in and it doesn't do anything. I push it in quickly it mutes I push it in and hold it and nothing happens.

GDK

Forum Donor
It actually didn't... I push it all the way in and it doesn't do anything. I push it in quickly it mutes I push it in and hold it and nothing happens.
You may not have the Line Out enabled then in the settings, but that is definitely how you switch between the outputs.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You may not have the Line Out enabled then in the settings, but that is definitely how you switch between the outputs.
Thanks I'll keep playing with it but when I pull out the headphone jack it turns on the line out immediately

Last edited:

danadam

No, hold volume button down to change output (or you can set it so it outputs to headamp and rear Jacks at same time
Push it in. It switches between outputs.
That's not by default. See SETUP - Options - Phones/DSD - Mute Line (page 27 of the manual):
OFF, vs. Phones, Toggle Ph/Line. Toggle Plugged. The default, vs. Phones, activates mute of
Line Outs when inserting a phones or IEM plug. Alternatively Toggle activates the ability to man-
ually switch between 'front' and 'rear'. It allows to have the Phones/IEM connected all the time.
To change push the VOLUME knob for half a second. [...] Toggle Plugged
additionally activates the switching between Phones and IEM, automatically detected by the
sensor contacts of the two outputs.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anyone explain how this Oratory EQ for RME is implemented? I thought there were only 5 bands. How are the high and low shelves added? Thx

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210507-080122_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210507-080122_Chrome.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 139
Top Bottom