• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

jae

Major Contributor
Yes, from Pro or DAC manual:

Ah thanks for that. Was considering this as an option, hearing loss has been utterly devastating to me recently. Unfortunately my case is extremely complex and I don't think 5 bands are going to cut it. I will have to stick to a more robust software solution for now.

CMB

If it might help :
I inserted manually the REW EQ corresponding to MiniDSP-96K as the number of filters corresponded.
Thought, the filter have to correspond with the limitation in gain and available frequency positioning.

You can in addition use bass & treble.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi @MC_RME

Any plans for a 6+ channel analogue output USB interface, with specs matching ADI-2 DAC FS?

Fireface UCX is great (and old) but not having the performance of ADI-2 DAC FS.

wynpalmer

Technical Expert
So, uh, what’s the scoop on the “I've always had pay with no interest over three years (because I can)” deal? I’d be down to buy one that way. Is that through a retailer or your bank or credit union or something?
It's something sweetwater seems to often offer, if not on a permanent basis. Basically you open a Sweetwater credit card account with Synchrony Bank and as long as you pay at least the minimum amount per month to pay it off in 3 years it comes interest free. Nothing stops you paying sooner, or even adding stuff to it as long as the deal applies to that too.

Docteur Poulet

Forum Donor
I just received it!

PXL_20201221_174438321~2-01.jpeg

Awesome product, it perfectly meets my needs!
I can also confirm that the DAC keeps in memory the last parameters and auto turn on when powered.

In my case, the ADI-2 is in the same power strip as my actives speakers.

trigger.jpg

ezra_s

Forum Donor
It started fine until he starts describing the color of the sound and comparing it with the chord.

MadMan

Subjectivists need something to bullshit about. It's the same with all of the popular ones really, even among the headphone crowd. There was a headphone review guy who was talking about the bass quantity difference between the Topping A90 and the Schiit Magnius, lol. They are either delusional, or have bad testing methods - probably lack of level matching if anything - or maybe a bit of both. Subjectivists need to keep their subjectivist grift going though, so they have to make up something.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It started fine until he starts describing the color of the sound and comparing it with the chord.

Thanks for the link. This video is much much better than I expected. Sure as objectivist you can disregard 'color of the sound' and some other stuff. But he got the facts and features of the unit right, and - what I never thought could happen - strongly recommends to use those features (like PEQ and Loudness) as much as YOU like it, not as others want you do dislike it (horror - DSP). That was a nice surprise during my morning coffee.

LesC

I've been following ASR for years, and I've finally joined to specifically thank everyone here, especially Amir, for your valuable contributions!

A big shout-out to whoever mentioned the rme-shop in this thread, holy cow! I've been looking for some boxing day sales on RME stuff, and I could only find one store in Canada that's offering 10% off list. Well, I just ordered an ADI2 PRO FS R BE, an HDSPe AIO PRO, and a balanced analog breakout cable (B09632-XLRMKH) from the rme-shop. Assuming I will have to pay the welcome-to-Ontario tax of 13%, I will still have saved 26% off Canadian list prices. Holy cow, again, thank you so much!

I owned an original ADI2 PRO and lots of other RME equipment in the past, I'm really looking forward to renewing my little home studio setup!

PipHelix

Subjectivists need something to bullshit about. It's the same with all of the popular ones really, even among the headphone crowd. There was a headphone review guy who was talking about the bass quantity difference between the Topping A90 and the Schiit Magnius, lol. They are either delusional, or have bad testing methods - probably lack of level matching if anything - or maybe a bit of both. Subjectivists need to keep their subjectivist grift going though, so they have to make up something.

Why so mad? Did a “subjectivist” punch your cat or something?

rodtor

Forum Donor
I've been following ASR for years, and I've finally joined to specifically thank everyone here, especially Amir, for your valuable contributions!

A big shout-out to whoever mentioned the rme-shop in this thread, holy cow! I've been looking for some boxing day sales on RME stuff, and I could only find one store in Canada that's offering 10% off list. Well, I just ordered an ADI2 PRO FS R BE, an HDSPe AIO PRO, and a balanced analog breakout cable (B09632-XLRMKH) from the rme-shop. Assuming I will have to pay the welcome-to-Ontario tax of 13%, I will still have saved 26% off Canadian list prices. Holy cow, again, thank you so much!

I owned an original ADI2 PRO and lots of other RME equipment in the past, I'm really looking forward to renewing my little home studio setup!
Welcome to ASR. Yes, there is no competitive pricing for this DAC in Canada. I got mine a couple of months ago from Nord (UK). Of course, you're likely getting a very reasonable price from the RME store. It is a fine DAC. The greatest surprise for me is how much fun it has been to learn how to use its many features, especially the Parametric EQ.

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR. Yes, there is no competitive pricing for this DAC in Canada. I got mine a couple of months ago from Nord (UK). Of course, you're likely getting a very reasonable price from the RME store. It is a fine DAC. The greatest surprise for me is how much fun it has been to learn how to use its many features, especially the Parametric EQ.
I got one a couple of weeks ago from Studio Economik in Montreal. Very nice/easy to deal with, and they discounted it off list (although not 25%) and it arrived in 2 days.

I haven’t delved into all the features as yet. My victory was just figuring out the menu system. :eek:

rodtor

Forum Donor
I got one a couple of weeks ago from Studio Economik in Montreal. Very nice/easy to deal with, and they discounted it off list (although not 25%) and it arrived in 2 days.

I haven’t delved into all the features as yet. My victory was just figuring out the menu system. :eek:
I'm glad you got that discount. I found that there is a learning curve ... :)

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Thanks for the link. This video is much much better than I expected. Sure as objectivist you can disregard 'color of the sound' and some other stuff. But he got the facts and features of the unit right, and - what I never thought could happen - strongly recommends to use those features (like PEQ and Loudness) as much as YOU like it, not as others want you do dislike it (horror - DSP). That was a nice surprise during my morning coffee.

My quarrel is when he starts to define the color or temperature of two different DAC's, if there are no flaws the sound is indistinguiseable, and he defines them with so much different detail, I can only imagine he is just making it up. My interpretation, of course, might be wrong. But when I tried, I just couldn't.

I love the RME ADI-2, and I don't mind if there are better devices and of course if one is to talk about the amazing features of the RME DAC, those need to be mentioned, just that saying it is more cold or bluish than the chord.. o_O, for me it just taints the whole thing, still I shared it here for others to view, because the more opinions/views, as crazy as some may be, the better and richer the forums.

Last edited:

MadMan

Why so mad? Did a “subjectivist” punch your cat or something?

Obviously not, don't troll. It does, however, insult my intelligence and that of everyone else who has a brain wrt electronics - I provided an example of an influencer-type making up complete bs about 'bass quantity'...making objective statements when they can't even do proper objective test setup. All they do is perpetuate the outdated audiophile media b.s.

Tigi

Hello, I got a RME ADI-2 DAC yesterday. It replaced my older reliable Chord Mojo which served atypically as a desktop headamp/preamp. First quick impressions of the ADI-2? Very very positive - in terms of the build quality, modern design, sophisticated controls (the pure childish joy when I finally understood the basic logic of the menu structure) and last but not least sound purity and transparency which I didnt know before.

Only one thing confuses me a little, so I would like to ask for enlightenment here. When the device is turned on, such a quiet high-frequency sound is heard. It is not very annoying, but in a quiet room up to a distance of 50-70 cm it can be clearly identified. A similar quiet sound comes from my cheap blue-ray player Panasonic. Is it a normal behavior also in the case of RME ADI-2 DAC? Or should this device be completely silent when turned on?

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Hello, I got a RME ADI-2 DAC yesterday. It replaced my older reliable Chord Mojo which served atypically as a desktop headamp/preamp. First quick impressions of the ADI-2? Very very positive - in terms of the build quality, modern design, sophisticated controls (the pure childish joy when I finally understood the basic logic of the menu structure) and last but not least sound purity and transparency which I didnt know before.

Only one thing confuses me a little, so I would like to ask for enlightenment here. When the device is turned on, such a quiet high-frequency sound is heard. It is not very annoying, but in a quiet room up to a distance of 50-70 cm it can be clearly identified. A similar quiet sound comes from my cheap blue-ray player Panasonic. Is it a normal behavior also in the case of RME ADI-2 DAC? Or should this device be completely silent when turned on?

My RME ADI-2 makes no noise of any kind. None, 0. If you have a device plugged there which suffers the same I would check a different plug to make sure you electrical installation/plug is ok.

LesC

RME ADI-2 Pro as a Monitor Controller

Having previously owned the original ADI-2 Pro, I found it to be a great centre-piece for a small home studio. The ADC section became my primary recording input channels, and the DSP allowed me to setup the DAC section as a terrific monitor controller. The following is a slightly edited copy of a thread I started a couple of years ago in the RME User Forum, I'm hoping it might help show some of the flexibility and the capabilities of this amazing unit to those that are new to it or have been thinking about using it in a small studio:

I've setup my ADI-2 Pro as a monitor controller. It can provide one-button selection of USB or DAC mode, selecting between two sets of speakers (one balanced, the other unbalanced), mono L+R, mono L-R, and use of headphone or speakers. These are functions that are commonly used when tracking, mixing, or mastering.

In my case, I'm using it to alternate between using my primary speakers (Focal Shape 50's) full-range, or using them with subs (SVS SB-2000's) with appropriate high-pass and low-pass filters. I'll describe my setup, but you could do something similar for two sets of full-range speakers, as long as you don't mind running one of them unbalanced.

One aspect of the ADI-2 PRO that is not given the credit it deserves is that the four push-buttons on the front can be programmed to change configuration items and to call up a preset. What makes this incredibly powerful is that each of the 9 presets can have the four buttons programmed independently.

I have 8 presets programmed using the ADI-2 PRO's eq, mono, phase reverse, and mute capabilities to give me:

1) Focal's connected balanced (XLR jacks on back) with an ADI-2 PRO high-pass filter, 80 Hz at 12 dB/octave and the sub's connected unbalanced (3/4 TRS jack on front) with an ADI-2 PRO low-pass filter, 80 Hz at 12 dB/octave.

2) Focal's balanced (XLR jacks on back) full-range, with sub's muted.

3) Focal's balanced full-range, mono, with sub's muted.

4) Focal's balanced full-range, mono, right channel reversed phase, with sub's muted

The above presets are used with the ADI-2 Pro fed digitally from my multi-channel interface. Presets 5, 6, 7, and 8 duplicate the same presets but fed from the ADI-2 PRO USB, sometimes I like to use the ADI-2 PRO as my interface.

Then I set up the push-buttons so that encoder 1 (VOL) alternates between preset 1 and 5 (DAC and USB modes), encoder 2 (I/0) alternates between preset 2 and 6, etc. In each Preset, the push-buttons are set up so that pressing the same button alternates between DAC and USB mode, but pressing a different button selects the relevant preset in the same mode as currently set.

By the way, I use Sennheiser 600's plugged into the front HP 1/2 jack and can switch back and forth between any of the speaker config's and full-range headphones by just pressing the Volume knob for half a second.

It might sound complicated, but using it is really, really simple and it's amazingly versatile! In my case, the ADI-2 Pro does everything I need in a monitor controller, without the extra expense and signal degradation of a separate controller. An additional monitor controller with the same functions and with equivalent signal quality would be very expensive, comparable in cost to the ADI-2 Pro itself, so for this use the ADI-2 Pro is a real bargain!

I'm really looking forward to a similar setup with the PRO FS R BE that I just ordered! The remote may make some of these things even easier, I'll soon see. A big difference this time will be my primary interface, the RME AIO Pro that I also just ordered. This will give me an extra two channels of high-quality (hopefully) input-output, plus about the lowest latency that's currently available. I can hardly wait!

rodtor

Forum Donor

Like the member who responded directly after your message, I haven't experienced this with my newish (2 months) RME DAC.

PipHelix

Obviously not, don't troll. It does, however, insult my intelligence and that of everyone else who has a brain wrt electronics - I provided an example of an influencer-type making up complete bs about 'bass quantity'...making objective statements when they can't even do proper objective test setup. All they do is perpetuate the outdated audiophile media b.s.

If you think I’m a troll, you’ve led a good quiet life on the internet.

I replied to you because as a casual participant/observer in/of audio-land, I find the tempest in a teapot about so-called “objectivism” and “subjectivism” humorous. The extent to which consenting adults in each camp get heated about how consenting adults in the other camp spend their disposable income on luxury items after being influenced by other adults in one or another camp in the reviewing field and how they do or don’t talk about audio components gets into some interesting territory. It especially seems to confound people politically—sworn liberals suddenly sound like evangelical Trumpers because they’ve been liberated into “the facts” while sworn conservatives insist that their feelings and perceptions are real. It’s some weird stuff.

Yesterday, you seemed very cross with John Darko, as if he was an evil billionaire audiophile who purifies his mains with the blood of virgin kittens and leashes his dogs to hot class A amplifiers with $7,000 power cables. Whilst his verbosity can be tiring, Darko seems to me among the least of all the public figures in our world we should be angry with. Meanwhile, people have actually made billions during the pandemic at our expense.

Top Bottom