• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

pompecukor

Uncontrolled subjective impressions are not very convincing.

Yes they are. Look at all the people buying 2k RCA cables and waiting for DAC soldering to "burn-in". lol.
From what I see 70% of the audiophile industry is built on "uncontrolled subjective impressions". o_O so indeed it can be very convincing.

Yuhasz01

Yes they are. Look at all the people buying 2k RCA cables and waiting for DAC soldering to "burn-in". lol.
From what I see 70% of the audiophile industry is built on "uncontrolled subjective impressions". o_O so indeed it can be very convincing.
So we do not need to perpetuate such lunacy here. Purchasing decisions are very individually based criteria, ie, system dependent and music preferences.

pompecukor

Wow I think I missed some part of the discussion. What is going on here???

Someone was disappointment with something and I asked them to elaborate on that (for me, I asked for it) and since 2 random people have replied to me without nothing to with the information I was looking for.
To the first person I tried to give a funny reply, but you both seem too wound up to tell a joke when you see one. Even tought it was aimed at the head-fi crowd. Not the ASR one.
Anyway what exactly did you want from me mr. yuhasz?
If you did not want anything, then let me be please. Thank you.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Well it’s cold outside, and I just received my rme adi 2 unit.
initial impressions of headphone out are disappointing, but it is very quiet.
maybe this thing needs to warm up, and the clocks to stabilise.
The review shows the RME ADI-2 DAC FS V2 can output 1.5 Watts @ 33 ohms, which puts this 460 mW ahead of the Topping L30 headphone amp at the same impedance. I'm not sure if we have a max output chart available for easy comparison but this seems to have a pretty healthy output relatively speaking. What kind of headphones are you using?

Yuhasz01

Wow I think I missed some part of the discussion. What is going on here???

Someone was disappointment with something and I asked them to elaborate on that (for me, I asked for it) and since 2 random people have replied to me without nothing to with the information I was looking for.
To the first person I tried to give a funny reply, but you both seem too wound up to tell a joke when you see one. Even tought it was aimed at the head-fi crowd. Not the ASR one.
Anyway what exactly did you want from me mr. yuhasz?
If you did not want anything, then let me be please. Thank you.
Rme adi-DAC SE headphone output works fine(power level and sound) with Sennheiser HD 660S and Hifiman Sundara

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone was disappointment with something and I asked them to elaborate on that (for me, I asked for it) and since 2 random people have replied to me
This is a public thread. If you don't want someone else to respond, use Private Message. Also, @Willem is not some "random people", he is a Major Contributor here with 2.8K+ likes...
Cheers.;)

Last edited:

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Well it’s cold outside, and I just received my rme adi 2 unit.
initial impressions of headphone out are disappointing, but it is very quiet.
maybe this thing needs to warm up, and the clocks to stabilise.

Sounds like you did not find the High Power setting for the Phones output yet...

That 'warm up and clocks to stabilize' on the other hand sounds more like trolling, especially in this forum.

cistercian

Forum Donor
After having had my RME ADI FS-2 DAC awhile and using it a lot with my Sennheiser HD600 phones as
well as driving my amp/speaker combination I conclude it's performance to be perfect. I will never replace it
unless it is destroyed by lightning or meteor impact. It is the best piece of audio equipment I have ever owned
and Amir's test proves it is reference grade. It has functionality that makes other DACs look featureless.
The remote, loudness control, balance control, bass and treble control, and EQ alone are fantastic and ideal
when using it to drive a power amp like I do. Every single time I use it, I smile. The display is beautiful and highly functional.

I cannot imagine using anything else now. Truly legendary grade.

pompecukor

This is a public thread. If you don't want someone else to respond, use Private Message. Also, @Willem is not some "random people", he is a Major Contributor here with 2.8K+ likes...
Cheers.;)

Exactly, it is a public thread, so why don't they want the person that I asked a question to respond? That is my point. Everyone has a right to their opinions, even if it is subjective. Also post count does not equal objective. They are random people to me, just as you are.

Yuhasz01

Exactly, it is a public thread, so why don't they want the person that I asked a question to respond? That is my point. Everyone has a right to their opinions, even if it is subjective. Also post count does not equal objective. They are random people to me, just as you are.
State your business here and use-case technical needs in regards to rme DAC and headphones.

pompecukor

State your business here and use-case technical needs in regards to rme DAC and headphones.

Is something wrong with you? I see that you are a very new account, but it wont last very long if all you want to do with it is harass others. I have no business with you. Leave me alone. I am not interested in your nonsense. Find someone who is.. This thread is supposed to be about RME DAC. Not about me.
Maybe it is just me and I forget that it might as well be an 8 year old on the other side of your keyboard. Not to think of it, based on your commend it is highly likely. So I should know better than to even engage with you...

Last edited:

pompecukor

After having had my RME ADI FS-2 DAC awhile and using it a lot with my Sennheiser HD600 phones as
well as driving my amp/speaker combination I conclude it's performance to be perfect. I will never replace it
unless it is destroyed by lightning or meteor impact. It is the best piece of audio equipment I have ever owned
and Amir's test proves it is reference grade. It has functionality that makes other DACs look featureless.
The remote, loudness control, balance control, bass and treble control, and EQ alone are fantastic and ideal
when using it to drive a power amp like I do. Every single time I use it, I smile. The display is beautiful and highly functional.

I cannot imagine using anything else now. Truly legendary grade.

Uhhh, careful bro, your "Uncontrolled subjective impressions are not very convincing". :p.... at least that is the status quo according to some thread police in here (some people just take everything too seriously)

Anyway, on a more serious note. I am very happy to hear this from you. As I just ordered one yesterday and cannot wait to try it :)
All I have seen are stellar reviews and the feature set is really awesome as you say. Only thing missing is MQA (I use Tidayl exclusively), but it is such a shady thing anyway, that I decided I would still prefer a PEQ and well executed cross-feed over some undocumented money making scheme that no one really needed and no one has proven that you can actually hear the difference.

May I ask, do you ever consider getting a fully balanced high end headphone amp sometime down the line and use the RME as DAC only? I understand that the DAC part is fully balanced, only the headphone amp is not. But may be mistaken.

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
Hey guys: can we please relax? The ADI-2 is awesome for all the reasons mentioned. This is not invalidated by someone's uncontrolled subjective disappointed impression, and that is all I wanted to say. The mix of superb measurements and extensive features is unequalled, let alone for its relatively modest price.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I need to check something. Is it normal to just pull out the rme manual and read it just for fun? I’ve found my self doing this lately. It reminds me of when back in the day when I used to get the latest suse linux release in a box of cds with a fantastic manual. Must be something about German engineers and hard copy documentation. I approve:)

Top Bottom