• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Trell

Major Contributor
In all cases (as it's low-level Windows driver issue, removing a device while it's in use), but I would need to double-check to be sure. Reluctant to do so as the recovery from BSOD takes some 10 minutes (Windows 10 "trying to gather information" on the crash).

Whenever you have an USB icon in the tray bar that means you should adhere to the practice of using it, eject before disconnect. It's a bit annoying as there is no chance of data loss...

I guess you won’t use the new Auto Standby feature in the upcoming ADI-2 firmware?

That's all useful info, as I've never had a USB DAC before. "Problem" is, I don't normally have a monitor connected to the PC source and many times I'm operating the system via wifi from another floor. That's why for example the reliability of ADI-2's auto source switching was of paramount importance. In case of a BSOD (or foobar2000 crash), I'll just go and reset the PC manually. I do have Unified Remote on my Android too, which allows me to view the PC's task manager and kill processes remotely as needed (and of course wake on lan, reboot etc.)

Long story short, I'll be ordering the "entry level" 1kV Intona today. If I ever experience BSODs, I'll just start minding the sequence of the powering on/off/WOL/sleep. I'm grateful that RME has designed the DAC so that it can be switched off straight from the power strip (wifi controlled socket in my case), remembering the previous state and not going berserk.

Last edited:

KSTR

Major Contributor
I guess you won’t use the new Auto Standby feature in the upcoming ADI-2 firmware?
Let' see how that goes but I would indeed expect problems at least when you still stream data to the DAC with very low signal levels so that auto standby engages after some time.

sjeesjie

I’m thinking of selling my Chord Qutest in favour of this nice piece of kit. I find the sound stage of my home (speaker) set a bit too wide. Would it help to use the crossfeed function of this RME? Does anyone use that for non-headphone use?

TunaBug

Forum Donor
No BSODs here. The last .DMP file on my computer is from May 2021, I've only had the RME since October. I don't make any effort to follow any protocol regarding switching the RME on off with respect to disconnecting it from USB, and I have certainly never told Windows to eject it.

However, the only computer I use it with is a Dell Precision 7740, so it may be that BSODs are related to different hardware and/or drivers.

If I do ever experience that then I'll try to run the crash analyzer to if it sheds any light on what happened.

sjeesjie

Maybe he just wants a new toy, only doesn't want to admit it ;)
Lol, that’s true by the way. Just a bit afraid the family will be scared of the complicated menus though :)

No I have these two amps of which one gives me the feeling of a narrower soundscape. I thought it might have to do with a littlebit of crossfeed. I love that so I thought I might get that same effect on the other amp by incorporating this DAC.

04gto

Lol, that’s true by the way. Just a bit afraid the family will be scared of the complicated menus though :)

No I have these two amps of which one gives me the feeling of a narrower soundscape. I thought it might have to do with a littlebit of crossfeed. I love that so I thought I might get that same effect on the other amp by incorporating this DAC.
Wait... you let 'the family' touch your gear? My gear has a forcefield around it, with one touch kill power. I buy my wife and kids there own (good gear) so they will not even think about touching mine. lol

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
After setup, in day to day use, I don't really have to touch menus.
This. I have saved 3 complete device states incl. EQ presets for both my headphones and my speaker setup.
All I ever do is switch between them and us the volume dial or B/T dials if necessary.

The menus may seem complicated at first but they are very logical. Once you get the lay of the land, you can operate them easily.

sjeesjie

I was thinking.. is there any way to tell the different versions apart? As I understand there was the first version with a below par remote, then one with a good remote and now one with a different DAC right?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was thinking.. is there any way to tell the different versions apart? As I understand there was the first version with a below par remote, then one with a good remote and now one with a different DAC right?
How many times we answered to this, already? I lost the count.:(

PS: the V2 already came with a different DAC chip...

sjeesjie

Maybe I’m mistaken then, I thought this was the version with the ESS chips instead of AKM but it’s not?

Trell

Major Contributor

G.R.Waters

After setup, in day to day use, I don't really have to touch menus.
After setup (as I don't have a pre-amp) I use volume control and the "dark mode" button on remote control only. The latter turns off the display after 5 seconds from last touch of buttons: considering that when on the power button led is off (and red when on) the dac will probably appear to the "unaware family" like switched off.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wouldn't it be wonderful if one of the new RME ADI-2 features was an HTML interface that allowed the user to configure all the setting options via the USB port with a Mac or PC? That would take the RME DAC to a new level of fun!
Nooooo I'm with the computer day and night... Give me a break when listening to music... :)

Top Bottom