• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

markb

I think it's because the cost is about double of the ones that does chase last bit of performance, at same price point, I totally agree other factor is more important, but at a much higher price, maybe we want both.

Why? You can't possibly hear the difference. :)

They could do that, but it would probably increase the prices of their products further, as they would need more manpower and therefore cost to create actual value add for their (other) customers. Value add in their current products that for the most part doesn't quite exist with their competitors.

nagster

All well beyond the thresholds of audibility, so why would it matter? Probably best that RME doesn't spend its time chasing the very last bit of performance, but rather focuses on features and usability - and their other products, of course.
If all sounds are 0dBFs, DACs with SINAD115dB(0dBFs) or higher may sound the same.
In my case, I also want to listen to AG solos and symphonies, so SINAD115dB can hardly be achieved.
Therefore, the more linear the equipment, the more useful it is.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

roog

Forum Donor
Nice video.

I love RME's pragmatic presentation style, ("don't argue with us, we know what we are talking about!") this comes across in their replies to questions on their own forum too. :0)

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
1629474122414.png

I hope he chose those massive headphones for comic effect - made me chuckle anyway. :)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 148630

I hope he chose those massive headphones for comic effect - made me chuckle anyway. :)
It is from the previous video showing how the Extreme Power headphone output is clean and powerful enough for all sorts of headphones.

PS: looks like he lost some weight between videos hehehe. :)

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
23 kg lost in about 4 months. Changed nutrition (Low Carb avoiding hidden sugar) and started regular workouts. Gave me back the health of a 45 year old (am 61 now).

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
23 kg lost in about 4 months. Changed nutrition (Low Carb avoiding hidden sugar) and started regular workouts. Gave me back the health of a 45 year old (am 61 now).
Good for you. I do intermittent fasting 18:6 on a regular basis, 18 kg lost, I am 38 years old.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I switched to a low carb diet with intermittent fasting about 2 years ago, I lost about 20kg ~ 50lb. It seems to suit me and I feel really well on it; I feel 10 years younger than I did 10 years ago, as such, I've no plans to stop doing it.

The only downside is that I had to buy new, smaller clothes. :)

Is there a way to save your Treble and Bass settings along with your EQ for your headphones?
Using Oratory1990's parametric values, I can set bands 1-5. And then 6(Bass) and 7(Treble), but they don't save.

Cheers

roog

Forum Donor
Is there a way to save your Treble and Bass settings along with your EQ for your headphones?
Using Oratory1990's parametric values, I can set bands 1-5. And then 6(Bass) and 7(Treble), but they don't save.

Cheers

Yes there is, but it comes with a potentially unwanted side effect, it is possible to save all of the settings on the device and assign them to a programmable button on the remote control, for me one unfortunate side effect is that it also saves the volume setting, so when you select your pre set it also sets the volume to the value saved. I have made 3 settings of different PEQ profiles and each one is assigned to one of three buttons on the remote.

I wish I could tell you how to accomplish this, the manual does explain it but I found it quite tricky myself and referred to the RME forum for help, if you search the ADI-2 section of the RME forum for "Using the setup and remote key assign functions properly!" you should be able to find the thread. I got there in the end but have since forgotten what I did! I dare not touch it.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Yes there is, but it comes with a potentially unwanted side effect, it is possible to save all of the settings on the device and assign them to a programmable button on the remote control, for me one unfortunate side effect is that it also saves the volume setting, so when you select your pre set it also sets the volume to the value saved. I have made 3 settings of different PEQ profiles and each one is assigned to one of three buttons on the remote.

I wish I could tell you how to accomplish this, the manual does explain it but I found it quite tricky myself and referred to the RME forum for help, if you search the ADI-2 section of the RME forum for "Using the setup and remote key assign functions properly!" you should be able to find the thread. I got there in the end but have since forgotten what I did! I dare not touch it.
This is one way to do it, but it isn’t necessary to use the remote, you only need to save a setup. Instructions on how to do that are in the manual in Section 14.2 on page 27.

Another option is to use Jaakko Pasanen’s EQ settings, which are derived from Oratory’s and others’ measurements. His are designed so that the first 5 settings can be used independently, with the remaining 5 added if using software that can accommodate the full set. In my experience, there’s not a significant difference between using the first 5 or the full set of 10. This circumvents the need to use the bass and treble controls on the RME. https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq

Last edited:

roog

Forum Donor
This is one way to do it, but it isn’t necessary to use the remote, you only need to save a setup. Instructions on how to do that are in the manual in Section 14 on page 25 of the manual.

Another option is to use Jaakko Pasanen’s EQ settings, which are derived from Oratory’s measurements and others. His are designed so that the first 5 settings can be used independently, with the remaining 5 added if using software that can accommodate the full set. In my experience, there’s not a significant difference between using the first 5 or the full set of 10. This circumvents the need to use the bass and treble controls on the RME. https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq

Agreed, I use the PEQ presets in this way too, I just like the ability to switch in different EQ from my sofa!
I don't often use the Treble and Bass controls.

Music1969

Major Contributor
No way. The DSP's computing power is limited.

No worries. Hopefully ADI-3 has more onboard DSP powah for the often requested 10 bands.

Until then, am happily using my ADI-2 with my Mac handling 10 bands PEQ.

Top Bottom