• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Audigon has a thread where someone indicates this DAC is only so-so unless you get a different power supply, change out some caps, etc...

Apparently it is too uncolored to be listenable in stock form :rolleyes:

roog

Forum Donor
Dear @amirm :
Could you tell me what kind power supply you are use for RME ADI-2 DAC FS? Thank you. :)
Hi @cses050108 have a wander over to the RME forum, they have a pragmatic view on all things electronic, just like here. There are a few threads in the RME ADI-2 fs DAC section of their forum which don't so much discuss this point but tell you quite definitively what the answer is and why. I'll not repeat the detail here, (it is worth a read) but it is the stock PSU.

zanzibar

I guess he's using the standard one that comes with the device.
There is little (nothing) left for improvement on that side.

I tried a battery power once, and no difference at all on measurements.

Have a big tube mono blocks system and I tried an external battery.
It made a shocking difference but my system is very sensitive so any change will produce an audible change.
Typically the best changes are found with certain NOS tubes.

Then there's the upgrade in the firmware: from 35/35 to 66/41. It's an unreal improvement for a mere download.
RME is the bomb!

Veri

Master Contributor
It made a shocking difference but my system is very sensitive so any change will produce an audible change.

Then there's the upgrade in the firmware: from 35/35 to 66/41. It's an unreal improvement for a mere download.
RME is the bomb!

:facepalm: Hard to take serious. You sure you're on the right forum?

zanzibar

:facepalm: Hard to take serious. You sure you're on the right forum?
Yeah, I'm in the right place. This is where I wrote my findings. Enjoy!

"The result was the shipping version FPGA 60 and DSP 39. This is a big step up from the former 35 / 35, the numbers indeed equal many steps of development. And we aren’t finished, some fine-tuning is always possible and will be done."

dfuller

Major Contributor
A battery makes very little sense here. The biggest improvement you could make would be a good switching power supply (and actively regulating the heaters).

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi @MC_RME or @amirm

Can you do the same measurement as per the slide below, with your ADI-2 DAC ?

Rob Watts says his current DACs are the only ones in the world with no measurable noise floor modulation (below is his Hugo TT2 measured with his own APx555b)

Would be really nice to show him he is not correct :)

10252399.jpg

zanzibar

A battery makes very little sense here. The biggest improvement you could make would be a good switching power supply (and actively regulating the heaters).

Yeah well I'm sure others like their Teddy Parlo or whatever they call it. I've seen others give it a whirl but I don't see it for myself.

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm not measuring any one tube. My friend who designed these one of a kind monoblock tube amps from an Allen Organ C3 architecture has all that measuring equipment, sheer loads of it. I'm not going to be adding this "big tube" request to the list.

Who is convinced or not is of no consequence to me.
I'm sure that anyone reading this is curious about how the "one of a kind monoblock" measures.

You have to understand, that subjective impressions are meaningless without being backed up by data.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @MC_RME or @amirm

Can you do the same measurement as per the slide below, with your ADI-2 DAC ?

Rob Watts says his current DACs are the only ones in the world with no measurable noise floor modulation (below is his Hugo TT2 measured with his own APx555b)

Would be really nice to show him he is not correct :)

10252399.jpg

That's a funny one !
I especially like the "High order harmonics are all below 150dB"... while H7 is shown at around 122dB below signal on the AP plot...

zanzibar

I'm sure that anyone reading this is curious about how the "one of a kind monoblock" measures.

You have to understand, that subjective impressions are meaningless without being backed up by data.

When I respond to the insiders here and I chose not to get into the measurements of the amps, I'm deleted.
They of course are not.

Top Bottom