• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
But then with TOSlink i am "limited" to PCM192kHz.
ADI-2 DAC supports receiving sound from USB and the clock from SPDIF. However, such an aggregation is not necessarily well-supported in software.

Music1969

Major Contributor
ADI-2 DAC supports receiving sound from USB and the clock from SPDIF. However, such an aggregation is not necessarily well-supported in software.

Thanks! I did look at aggregration on macOS but it's a bit risky. Plus then also there is potential for clock drift with a separate A-to-D interface for measurements.

'All in one' is often preferred for this kind of thing (I read) - single ASIO driver for both A-to-D and D-to-A for the room measurements.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I am already doing this below, with Focusrite 18i20Gen3 with my DIY DSP speakers:

'All in one' is often preferred for this kind of thing (I read) - single ASIO driver for both A-to-D and D-to-A for the room measurements.

I use ADI-2 FS DAC (V2) at my desk just for headphones at the moment. But I was thinking about how to up the performance from current Focusrite.

I don't think FireFace is much of a step up from the Focusrite. Focusrite drivers are working without issues (for me).

ADI-2 FS DAC is definitely a step up in objective performance and also has features that I need and use (sample rates above PCM192kHz via USB).

I think I will just wait for multichannel version of ADI-2 FS DAC (If it is planned , I don't know).

Music1969

Major Contributor
Music1969
You will be limited to 192Khz PCM (128DSD) with a multi-channel DAC unless you want to spend at least $4k.
CJH

I know, until multichannel version of ADI-2 FS DAC comes, I know it's just Okto, Merging, ExaSound. It's a very short list.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Merging Anubis is interesting. Built-in mic pre too.

But I read a lot of drama on Gearslutz with their Ravenna driver...

A few people sold it and went back to RME for driver stability LOL

ElNino

Ah crap, those are TS outputs, not TRS - my mistake.

Hmmmm can the balanced headphones be used as outputs to balanced amps?

IIRC, those always mirror the balanced outs anyway. If you want an independent pair of channels on the Pro you have to use one of the headphone jacks, but this use is limited to unbalanced.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Ah crap, those are TS outputs, not TRS - my mistake.

Hmmmm can the balanced headphones be used as outputs to balanced amps?
For a balanced connection you need only balanced inputs, not balanced outputs. So with the 4 unbalanced channels you get from tapping the two phones stereo unbalanced TRS jacks you're pefectly fine. A pro for the Pro (sic) is that you can control the volume of all four channels simultaneously (even with a remote when it's a Pro FSR). The only slight drawback is that you only have two output auto-reference levels instead of four for the rear outputs.

Aerith Gainsborough

Finally, after nearly 2 years of eyballing the ADI and it's predecessor, I'm now a member of the RME club.

What cute little unit with so many useful functions. I really enjoy the loudness with both my cans and my speakers and EQ with my DT-880.
Also really loving the spectrum analyzer. I have always been fond of moving stuff (VU meters, analyzers, rows of LED) when music is playing. :D

I did try the oratory EQ suggested a few pages back but meeeh... people sure love their bathtub curves. WAY too much bass for me, guess my ears are incompatible with the Harman target. It sounds good if I halve the bass boost and leave the highs au-natural.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Many also disagree with the high amount of bass reinforcement that Harman uses. But mids and highs are usually better.

Aerith Gainsborough

Many also disagree with the high amount of bass reinforcement that Harman uses. But mids and highs are usually better.
I wonder whether the "general preference" Harman target is directed at movies or music.
I could imagine the bass being fun for the former but not for music.

BTW: I really don't get all the complaints about the menu structure I read online. I was expecting some kind of mess but after 5 minutes I had the control scheme down and operating the device became quite easy. That manual though.... gorgeous. A work of art, if you ask me. It has been a long time since I had so much fun reading one.

Grotti

Forum Donor
I wonder whether the "general preference" Harman target is directed at movies or music.
I could imagine the bass being fun for the former but not for music.

BTW: I really don't get all the complaints about the menu structure I read online. I was expecting some kind of mess but after 5 minutes I had the control scheme down and operating the device became quite easy. That manual though.... gorgeous. A work of art, if you ask me. It has been a long time since I had so much fun reading one.
I suppose the complaints regarding the menu structure are based on the experiences with good apps: I think it would be much more comfortable to operate the device from a computer or cellphone than having to sit in Front of the small (but very informative) display and turning or pushing buttons.

But nevertheless you are right: it's not rocket science to understand the structure and to make the device to do what you want it to do.

Btw: best manual ever!!!

Booker

Forum Donor

JIW

In regards to the measurement of the main section of the NAD C 320BEE PWR Amplifier. Is there any relation between settings for Line Out of RME ADI-2 DAC (RCA in my case) and those measurements? To get the best performance from this combo. Thanks.

Generally, to get the best performance set 'Auto Ref Level' to 'ON' (p. 21 & p. 34 in the manual.)

However, the NAD reaches peak power for about 2.5 dBu input for an 8 ohm load and 1.5 dBu input for a 4 ohm load. For a 3 ohm load as the S400 is between about 200 and 500 Hz, assuming current being the limiting factor at 4 ohm, the NAD likley reaches peak power for about 0.5 dBu input.

1611497798668.png

The S400 has a sensitivity of about 86 dB SPL at 1 m for a 2.83 V input, i.e. about 75 dB SPL at 1m for a 0 dBu input. Since the NAD has a voltage gain of about 29 dB, a 0 dBu output from the DAC, the S400 connected to the NAD would give a SPL of about 104 dB at 1 m. Taking into account the limitations of the NAD and the load of the S400, peak SPL is probably about 104-5 dB at 1 m.
1611498437539.png

Thus, in order to avoid the clicking of the relay at close to the amplifier's peak power, try setting the DAC to an output level of +1 dBu and raise the volume either until it gets loud enough for you or until the output meter reaches around -2.5 dB. If when it is loud enough for you, the output meters stay below -6 dB, set the output level to -5 dBu. If the output meters reach around -2.5 dB and it is not loud enough for you, I recommend getting an amplifier with at least four times the peak power - for an additional 6 dB - into low impedance loads, i.e. about 700 W peak into 4 ohm or 500 W RMS into 4 ohm or speakers with higher sensitivity.

Atanasi

Forum Donor
I tried powering the DAC from a USB-PD power supply (in this case, a multi-protocol supply). For this purpose, I had a USB power tester that allows triggering a supported voltage from the power supply, and a special USB-PD 15 V trigger cable that always triggers 15 V (or the largest supported voltage smaller than 15 V) to a DC barrel connector. The tester requires an additional USB-DC cable. The power supply was Ravpower 5-port charger with the maximum of 45 W out of USB-C. It supported USB-PD and QC 2 and 3.

Both devices enabled powering the DAC. USB-PD and QC 2 and 3 all worked. In this case, QC was a bit safer, because the power supply does not support 20 V with QC, whereas with USB-PD 20 V is supported. I did not notice any sound changes when switching between voltages 9 V, 12 V or 15 V during playback. The measured voltages were usually a bit higher than nominal, for example, 15.25 V for 15 V. QC 3 supports voltage changes with 0.2 V steps, which worked also. The power consumption during playback was around 6 W, and a bit smaller, 5.7 W, with 9 V compared to higher voltages.

For regular use, I would recommend a trigger cable of 15 V. 15 V is a standard voltage of PD 2.0, and should be supported by USB-PD wall chargers and power banks. A USB power tester, on the other hand, is not very safe for regular use, because it is easy to enable a voltage of 20 V.
tester.jpg
trigger.jpg

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried powering the DAC from a USB-PD power supply (in this case, a multi-protocol supply). For this purpose, I had a USB power tester that allows triggering a supported voltage from the power supply, and a special USB-PD 15 V trigger cable that always triggers 15 V (or the largest supported voltage smaller than 15 V) to a DC barrel connector. The tester requires an additional USB-DC cable. The power supply was Ravpower 5-port charger with the maximum of 45 W out of USB-C. It supported USB-PD and QC 2 and 3.

Both devices enabled powering the DAC. USB-PD and QC 2 and 3 all worked. In this case, QC was a bit safer, because the power supply does not support 20 V with QC, whereas with USB-PD 20 V is supported. I did not notice any sound changes when switching between voltages 9 V, 12 V or 15 V during playback. The measured voltages were usually a bit higher than nominal, for example, 15.25 V for 15 V. QC 3 supports voltage changes with 0.2 V steps, which worked also. The power consumption during playback was around 6 W, and a bit smaller, 5.7 W, with 9 V compared to higher voltages.

For regular use, I would recommend a trigger cable of 15 V. 15 V is a standard voltage of PD 2.0, and should be supported by USB-PD wall chargers and power banks. A USB power tester, on the other hand, is not very safe for regular use, because it is easy to enable a voltage of 20 V.
View attachment 108146View attachment 108147

Great minds think alike. :cool:

Mr.XO

Hi,

From a pure DAC standpoint (no amp, eq, bal output, etc., needed), is there any reason to go for this over the Topping E30? Assuming its the same DAC chip and comparable SINAD as tested here...

Is the analog output stage somehow better making this sound better in reality?

Just trying to understand what else can be reasons to invest in this other than the where it's made part.

Also, apologize in advance if this is the wrong thread for the question.

Thanks!

KSTR

Major Contributor
Yes, there is. The precision volume control which combines gain switching in several steps with digital attenuation which gives the best signal-to-noise ratio and bit depth for any actual output level. Not that this is necessarily audible, it depends on a lot of factors, notably the actual output level you need (like when feeding a power amp directly).

Mr.XO

Thanks @KSTR.
I should have been more specific; it'd be for use with an integrated amp that's got a great volume control.

Top Bottom