• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Makes me wonder whether there's any influence and that one or other of them is hearing what they expect to hear. :oops:
Both. Few started to say this and it became contagious. That's about it.
Did he matched the ADI-2 to either 2V (8.5dBu) or 3V (11.5dBu) to compare with the Qutest? I don't think so.
Of course, the louder will have the biggest soundstage...

DomieMic65

My preamp has input sensitivity of 200mV and impedance of 22Kohm ... what is the optimal output that the dac should be set? 8.5 or 11.5dBu?
Thanks!

JIW

Both. Few started to say this and it became contagious. That's about it.
Did he matched the ADI-2 to either 2V (8.5dBu) or 3V (11.5dBu) to compare with the Qutest? I don't think so.
Of course, the louder will have the biggest soundstage...

Those dBu values are incorrect, unfortunately, making level matching the RME to other DACs actually a fair bit more difficult. 2 V RMS is 8.239 dBu while 3 V RMS is 11.761 dBu. Thus, if one only uses the volume control and output level settings on the RME and other DACs, there is at least a 0.239 dB difference in level which is probably too low to be audible as such but is most likely not without perceptual effect.

For a level matched comparison that allows for judging the handling of intersample overs, both the RME and the other DAC should be set up such that either one receives an unattenuated signal while the signal going to the other is reduced in level so as to match the output level of the two. To match the level between the configurations, the gains of the amplifiers should be raised or lowered accordingly. For example, in comparing the RME to a DAC with 2 V output level, the signal going to the RME set to -4.5 volume should be attenuated by 0.261 dB if it is sent unattenuated to the other DAC and if the signal is sent unattenuated to the RME set to -5 volume, the signal going to the other DAC should be attenuated by 0.239 dB. Further, if the signal is sent unattenuated to the RME, the gain of the amplifiers should be raised by 0.239 dB or if the signal is sent unattenuated to the other DAC, the gain should be lowered by 0.239 dB.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those dBu values are incorrect, unfortunately, making level matching the RME to other DACs actually a fair bit more difficult. 2 V RMS is 8.239 dBu while 3 V RMS is 11.761 dBu. Thus, if one only uses the volume control and output level settings on the RME and other DACs, there is at least a 0.239 dB difference in level which is probably too low to be audible
Except Qutest outputs 2.017V, which equals to 8.312 dBu. Then, 8.5dBu is the closest you may get without software attenuation... 0.2dB difference is most likely inaudible in such scenario.
To match the level between the configurations, the gains of the amplifiers should be raised or lowered accordingly.
I don't know any integrated nor power amp that may be manually attenuated that precise. I guess we agree that the only way to correct 0.2dB is using software.
My preamp has input sensitivity of 200mV and impedance of 22Kohm ... what is the optimal output that the dac should be set? 8.5 or 11.5dBu?
Thanks!
8/8.5dBu is close to the standard 2V/4V whether you use RCA or XLR.
But if you don't need analog inputs, I'd say: don't use a preamp at all.

Last edited:

JIW

Except Qutest outputs 2.017V, which equals to 8.312V dBu. Then, 8.5dBu is the closest you may get without software attenuation... 0.2dB difference is most likely inaudible in such scenario.

I don't know any integrated nor power amp that may be manually attenuated that precise. I guess we agree that the only way to correct 0.2dB is using software.

If I recall correctly, level differences below about 0.5 dB are not perceived as differences in loudness but differences in sound quality. 0.2 dB can thus still be significant.

Anyways, I was thinking of an ideal case, so yes, with the method I have suggested, unless you can do some voodoo with cables, you will have to use software. However, you could maybe also attenuate the signals after the DACs.

More practically, though, you could first compare the DACs when one has a higher output level and then compare again when the other has the higher output level. Whatever perceived differences are consistent across the two configurations are thus less likely to be due to different levels.

reg19

Re: my observations on the ADI-2 FS soundstage:

I tried the following:
  1. RME (used as DAC + preamp) --> Parasound A21 power amp --> Focal Electra 1038Be
  2. RME (used as DAC only) --> Parasound P6 preamp --> Parasound A21 power amp --> Focal Electra 1038Be
I followed the suggestions given by RME on getting the best dynamic range in both cases. Listened to both at same level (70dB SPL). I greatly prefer option #2 for better musicality & soundstage. Sad as I was really looking forward to selling my P6 and the proceeds to buy some Isoacoustic Gaia 2s.

BTW: it seems like the RME can output at a higher voltage level (& cleaner as well) than the P6. Also, the RME DAC quality is much better than P6 DAC quality.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The SteadyClock FS results in the end are really impressive!

Leejb1970

Hi all. I'm new to the forum but have been reading lots. I have just purchased the RME ADI Dac2 FS based on great info both here and elsewhere. Bargain too. £749/800€. Looking forward to it replacing my Chord Mojo and will be listening via Macbook Pro/Roon to Focal Stellia.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
BTW he is using optical, which as Amir tests in all products, is the most "jitter sensitive" connection. So this test is like "worst case scenario" and still the SteadyClock FS aced it.

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just today, I started having an odd issue using RME ADI-2 DAC in Windows 10. During two Zoom meetings and one WebEx meeting, static started coming through that no one else could hear. I could fix it by disabling the RME in Sounds-->Playback, then quickly re-enabling it. Playing music ALL day (in between meetings) and no static at all. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
Solved my issue. It had NOTHING to do with the RME. Basically DELL puts really crappy USB ports in its $200 docking stations. By using the laptops USB port the issue goes away.

MetalDaze

I came from an M300 MKII and the difference was further revealing than I thought it would be. I'm sure you'll be more than pleased as I was. :)

AlfieFroud

I’ve finally received mine and I’m not sure if it’s faulty. When powering on using the button at the front the DAC itself makes a clicking/popping noise and it also happens when you turn up the volume to when the reference level changes.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve finally received mine and I’m not sure if it’s faulty. When powering on using the button at the front the DAC itself makes a clicking/popping noise and it also happens when you turn up the volume to when the reference level changes.
These are relays. It is fine.

Veri

Master Contributor
I had the same instinctive reaction when I got a Schiit Saga back in the day.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I almost had a heart attach when my first relay preamp started ticking when changing the volume lol. The ADI-2 is now my 3rd relay based component since then.

Last edited:

Labjr

Major Contributor
You ever go inside an old telephone central office?

Last edited:
Top Bottom