• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

That CD Changer review is gold. I miss his ability to make fun of himself and the trade. Comic books for grownups indeed.

Well, if we're all comic book characters here at Stereophile, I know who Iwant to be: Richie Rich, Boy Millionaire! I'd 86 that wimp-boy "Little Lord Fauntleroy" getup, of course, but I'd put together the most HIDEOUSLY expensive audio system this world has ever seen! Jadis—HA! I'd have those french fries custom-build me some 10,000W monoblocks—no, a millionwatts, with gold-engraved $ signs all over the chassis! Dedicated AC lines for every single piece of gear, all wired with Kimber silver! Apogee Grands in the bathroom flanking the bidet!

And digital? I could buy the $23,000 Levinson No.30 processor/No.31 transport combo, but I'd still have to get up to change CDs, not to mention adjust the volume, return CDs to their cases, find new ones, etc. That's DOG WORK, my man; Boy Millionaires don't spend their time fiddling with jewelboxes! Naw, there's only one CD player that not only does away with all the tedious chores of digital playback, but is also expensive enough for Richie Rich: the $13,000 Proceed CD Library.

AlfieFroud

I’ve finally received a refund for the Topping D90 and A90 and have purchased the RME ADI-2 FS which will arrive tomorrow. I’ve previously had issues with ground loops when connected to my Mac mini’s usb. Is there anyway I can safely fix this and would using a linear power supply prevent potential ground loop issues?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
UpTone ISO Regen isolates USB from the DAC.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These t-shirts are unofficial but look pretty cool.

https://www.redbubble.com/i/t-shirt/RME-Audio-by-shfandon/14506916.88ZX2

There is even a hoodie.

https://www.redbubble.com/i/hoodie/RME-Audio-by-shfandon/14506916.0VJPW

Screenshot_2021-01-10-12-43-09-247_com.android.chrome.jpg

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to the club! You won’t be disappointed, me thinks... ;)

I am 100% not expecting it to be life changing sonically. But I like the idea of simplifying my rack down a lot. Hook a 789 up to this for balanced 'phones and I may be set. We shall see.

Bijuuka

Tried 4 of those dongles, none did work. There are only a handful of these china-dongles, that really do something Good luck out there finding the one. :( I have the same problem.

I've got a base hiss from the powersockets/powerlines in general, but it's inaudible, if you're not putting your ear right next to the speaker.
The bigger problem is, the old modem style squeaking that my Desktop produces. It always disappears when i unplug the USb and put it back in. Gets even worse, when I start up a game and my graphicscard is hit with a load, but I think the strong noise qhile gaming comes from magnetic radiation rather than through the usb socket. But can't say for sure.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I am 100% not expecting it to be life changing sonically. But I like the idea of simplifying my rack down a lot. Hook a 789 up to this for balanced 'phones and I may be set. We shall see.
It’s a really fun toy. I love experimenting with the PEQ, crossfeed, and different power modes with various headphones. The loudness function is an added plus that works surprisingly well. One of the more enjoyable pieces of hardware I’ve purchased in a long time...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s a really fun toy. I love experimenting with the PEQ, crossfeed, and different power modes with various headphones. The loudness function is an added plus that works surprisingly well. One of the more enjoyable pieces of hardware I’ve purchased in a long time...

At the minute I use Roon for EQ and other DSP. I am wondering if this plus my existing streamer plus Qobuz/Tidal through there and/or a Chromecast audio is a viable alternative that may be cheaper in the long run. Can you only assign one EQ per output or save a range of EQs (let say per headphone) and select which one you want to apply to which output at any given time?

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
At the minute I use Roon for EQ and other DSP. I am wondering if this plus my existing streamer plus Qobuz/Tidal through there and/or a Chromecast audio is a viable alternative that may be cheaper in the long run. Can you only assign one EQ per output or save a range of EQs (let say per headphone) and select which one you want to apply to which output at any given time?

You can save a number of presets.

Tks

Major Contributor

There are ~20 EQ presets you can store (and I think also profiles of your entire settings on top of that). Each EQ (and settings) are saved automatically to their last-used settings per output. So if I plug in IEM's and I have a different filter + my IEM's EQ that were enabled, right when I plug in IEM's all those settings instantly activate as I last left them (so if my EQ was on, or off, that would also fire up in the state it was last left when that output was used). If my headphone output was muted and had a different EQ on that output, when I plug in my headphone output, that would initate as muted with the EQ last used for that output for example.

Basically works as you would hope.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There are ~20 EQ presets you can store (and I think also profiles of your entire settings on top of that). Each EQ (and settings) are saved automatically to their last-used settings per output. So if I plug in IEM's and I have a different filter + my IEM's EQ that were enabled, right when I plug in IEM's all those settings instantly activate as I last left them (so if my EQ was on, or off, that would also fire up in the state it was last left when that output was used). If my headphone output was muted and had a different EQ on that output, when I plug in my headphone output, that would initate as muted with the EQ last used for that output for example.

Basically works as you would hope.

Very much attracted to that element. It cant be any louder than when I last unplugged headphones when I plug back in, plus the ramp up volume. Does it ramp up the volume on the rear outputs too?

Tks

Major Contributor
Very much attracted to that element. It cant be any louder than when I last unplugged headphones when I plug back in, plus the ramp up volume. Does it ramp up the volume on the rear outputs too?

Yes sir, it will ramp up all outputs when switched. It's not super delayed, takes about 2-3 seconds to reach full volume or so. The protections built into this thing are really well thought out. I've taken it for granted, while accidentially blasting DAC mode on my DX3 Pro just the other day due to the silly remote markings I never got used to completely. Oh and the volume level for each output also remains. Basically everything for each output is always rememmbered.

Top Bottom