• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

jlm70

As I'd connect the ADI-2 to my speakers ampli via balanced cables and to my tube headphone ampli via RCA (heavily modded Musical Fidelity X-Can v3), is it possible to run the XLR outputs and the RCA at the same time, but using different eq settings/filters?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I'd connect the ADI-2 to my speakers ampli via balanced cables and to my tube headphone ampli via RCA (heavily modded Musical Fidelity X-Can v3), is it possible to run the XLR outputs and the RCA at the same time, but using different eq settings/filters?

Both the RCAs and XLRs are active at the same time, but they share the same DSP settings.

There are 9 different slots to save and load settings from though, so you can switch between profiles when you switch from speakers to headphones.

richpjr

Both the RCAs and XLRs are active at the same time, but they share the same DSP settings.

There are 9 different slots to save and load settings from though, so you can switch between profiles when you switch from speakers to headphones.

Sort of an odd side question - the outputs can be active at the same time. Can more than one input be active at the same time (USB and optical)?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sort of an odd side question - the outputs can be active at the same time. Can more than one input be active at the same time (USB and optical)?

Unfortunately not. It would be cool if it could function as a digital mixer though.

Oklei

Forum Donor
Can more than one input be active at the same time (USB and optical)?
No, but the usb can become a recording 'output' for one of the spdif inputs.

Last edited:

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does anyone know what the latency of the ADI-2 DAC is when operating in full-duplex mode (i.e., digital in->computer processing->analog DAC out)? Is it possible to use it in this configuration with the computer-hosted Dirac Live Processor without losing lip-sync?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know what the latency of the ADI-2 DAC is when operating in full-duplex mode (i.e., digital in->computer processing->analog DAC out)? Is it possible to use it in this configuration with the computer-hosted Dirac Live Processor without losing lip-sync?
I guess this would depend on the buffer size and sample rate you choose on the ASIO settings. And the lower the buffer and higher the sample rate, the more processing power and priority the computer needs to have. Audio interfaces usually have a roundtrip around a few milliseconds.

Also, depending on the video player, there is latency compensation to sync audio and video.

Oklei

Forum Donor
typical usb roundtrip latency is 5-10ms. Depends on buffer size. For 44.1 kHz with Windows ASIO:
128 Samples 7,3 ms
64 Samples 4,4 ms
32 Samples 2,9 ms

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Where are these numbers from and how were they measured? (Not saying they are wrong, though).

Last edited:

iMax2000

This is a review and detailed measurements of the updated version 2 of the RME ADI-2 FS DAC and headphone amplifier. It was kindly sent to me by the company. The cost us US $1,149.

The ADI-2 looks very nice in black with a bright, super responsive display (doesn't come out as well in the picture):

View attachment 63548

I usually only focus on performance of audio products and DACs don't have much to talk about anyway. Not so with RME products. There are tons and tons of features including two different headphone outputs with automatic detection and settings. There is a built-in parametric EQ which can help you optimize your room or headphones. And on and on.

The display is highly informative which I appreciate. I like to know what my settings are, sample rate, volume, etc. at a glance and they are all here and then some.

Soft white LEDs surround the power button, the main rotary controller and backlight for the switches.

A nice reassuring set of relays click on power on. A compact 12 volt, 2 amp power supply with a clever locking mechanism comes with the unit. As does a remote control (which I did not use).

The back panel is tidy:

View attachment 63550

Of course the product is made in Germany which makes availability much better for our EU members. Support is superb on our forum and RME's own and company makes frequent updates to the unit through firmware updates.

Overall, this is a beautiful DAC with extensive feature list.

DAC Audio Measurements
Let's start with our usual dashboard of 1 kHz tone and measure what comes out of the XLR balanced connectors (used for all the DAC tests):

View attachment 63551

The distortion level now is state of the art with levels at -130 dB (15 dB better that best case human hearing). Noise level is higher though and dominates, resulting in SINAD of 115 dB. This is 3 dB better than version one of this DAC so definitely improved but not the best we have seen:

View attachment 63553

Yellow is the version 2 under test, and purple is the older one.

The reason noise level is not as good as seemingly cheaper DACs is because the ADI-2 is a pro product and can produce much higher output level. When we let it loose this way, performance improves yet again:

View attachment 63554

SINAD reaches a maximum of 117 dB now with nearly 7 volts output. You can use this higher level output with amplifiers like Benchmark, Purifi, hypex ncore, etc. to get the best performance out of them.

We can see that in our dynamic range tests:
View attachment 63555

IMD test is likewise impacted by the output level although it is excellent both ways:
View attachment 63556

There is tiniest hint of jitter (hugging our main tone of 12 kHz and a pair at 6.2 and 17.8 kHz) but at -140 dB and lower, are utterly inaudible:
View attachment 63557

32-tone test resembling "music" shows very low levels of intermodulation distortion:
View attachment 63558

Linearity is essentially perfect to the maximum level I measure:
View attachment 63559

There are a set of filters. In the interest of time, I just tested the default:

View attachment 63560

THD+N versus frequency is low but perhaps not as perfect as it could be:

View attachment 63565

Headphone Amplifier Measurements
Since there is no analog input, these measurements are the combination of the performance of the DAC plus the headphone amplifier. With stand-alone analog headphone amplifiers, you would lose a few dBs of performance when you pair a DAC with them. Also, the volume control here is digital which means channel matching is excellent unlike analog solutions.

Let's start with our usual power measurement into 300 ohm:

View attachment 63561

310 milliwatts of power into 300 ohm is superb as my threshold of excellence is 100 milliwatts. This means you can drive high impedance headphones with ease. Combined DAC+amp in high power clocks at 110 dB SINAD which is just shy of best case theoretical threshold of hearing (again, 115 dB).

If you want lower noise, you can use the IEM output in low power mode (blue):

View attachment 63562

You have three nice settings for three different scenarios.

Switching to 33 ohm load we get:
View attachment 63563

We have 1.5 watts of power which should be good for most headphones. I did not bother to test the IEM output as the low power mode (red) already had excellent low noise performance.

I was surprised that with 50 millivolts output, performance was not as good as version 1:
View attachment 63564

I use different fixtures to wire up to my analyzer so perhaps that is the reason for slight regression. Still, what is there at 89 dB, beats majority of headphone amplifiers out there.

I did not bother to measure the output impedance and trust the RME spec of it being near zero.

Headphone Listening Tests
I started testing with my Sennheiser HD-650. Wow, these sounded super with incredible amount of power available on tap. I had no trouble getting my ear lobes to resonate with bass heavy music! :D If I did not fear for quick loss of hearing, I would listen that way for hours. :) Ample power, low noise and distortion meant great dynamic range, detail, lack of noise, etc. Everything reflected the fidelity of the source.

I then switched to my super inefficient and low impedance (25 ohm) Ether CX headphone. Here performance was very good but I could get the amp to distort. Granted, by then it was too loud for me to tolerate but still, I like to see some headroom there. Again, these are super difficult headphones to drive.

Conclusions
The RME ADI-2 FS V2 improves on the first generation design in lowering distortion levels. The slick look and huge feature list is a major add-on which doesn't exist in DAC-only products. Headphone amplifier is very powerful and is able to drive most headphones with authority and high fidelity. No records have been broken on the performance though.

Overall combination of features and performance pushes me to give the RME ADI-2 FS DAC V2 my strong recommendation. Indeed, I am still listening to it as I type this and will make it my everyday DAC+amp at my workstation.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

I have packed so many heavy and big boxes and dropped off at UPS store that I am starting to feel sorry for the guy there and want to buy him a gift. So please donate a few dollars toward that if you can. Be on notice though that I might be tempted to keep said money and just use it for myself. :) Here is the link: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
This is a review and detailed measurements of the updated version 2 of the RME ADI-2 FS DAC and headphone amplifier. It was kindly sent to me by the company. The cost us US $1,149.

The ADI-2 looks very nice in black with a bright, super responsive display (doesn't come out as well in the picture):

View attachment 63548

I usually only focus on performance of audio products and DACs don't have much to talk about anyway. Not so with RME products. There are tons and tons of features including two different headphone outputs with automatic detection and settings. There is a built-in parametric EQ which can help you optimize your room or headphones. And on and on.

The display is highly informative which I appreciate. I like to know what my settings are, sample rate, volume, etc. at a glance and they are all here and then some.

Soft white LEDs surround the power button, the main rotary controller and backlight for the switches.

A nice reassuring set of relays click on power on. A compact 12 volt, 2 amp power supply with a clever locking mechanism comes with the unit. As does a remote control (which I did not use).

The back panel is tidy:

View attachment 63550

Of course the product is made in Germany which makes availability much better for our EU members. Support is superb on our forum and RME's own and company makes frequent updates to the unit through firmware updates.

Overall, this is a beautiful DAC with extensive feature list.

DAC Audio Measurements
Let's start with our usual dashboard of 1 kHz tone and measure what comes out of the XLR balanced connectors (used for all the DAC tests):

View attachment 63551

The distortion level now is state of the art with levels at -130 dB (15 dB better that best case human hearing). Noise level is higher though and dominates, resulting in SINAD of 115 dB. This is 3 dB better than version one of this DAC so definitely improved but not the best we have seen:

View attachment 63553

Yellow is the version 2 under test, and purple is the older one.

The reason noise level is not as good as seemingly cheaper DACs is because the ADI-2 is a pro product and can produce much higher output level. When we let it loose this way, performance improves yet again:

View attachment 63554

SINAD reaches a maximum of 117 dB now with nearly 7 volts output. You can use this higher level output with amplifiers like Benchmark, Purifi, hypex ncore, etc. to get the best performance out of them.

We can see that in our dynamic range tests:
View attachment 63555

IMD test is likewise impacted by the output level although it is excellent both ways:
View attachment 63556

There is tiniest hint of jitter (hugging our main tone of 12 kHz and a pair at 6.2 and 17.8 kHz) but at -140 dB and lower, are utterly inaudible:
View attachment 63557

32-tone test resembling "music" shows very low levels of intermodulation distortion:
View attachment 63558

Linearity is essentially perfect to the maximum level I measure:
View attachment 63559

There are a set of filters. In the interest of time, I just tested the default:

View attachment 63560

THD+N versus frequency is low but perhaps not as perfect as it could be:

View attachment 63565

Headphone Amplifier Measurements
Since there is no analog input, these measurements are the combination of the performance of the DAC plus the headphone amplifier. With stand-alone analog headphone amplifiers, you would lose a few dBs of performance when you pair a DAC with them. Also, the volume control here is digital which means channel matching is excellent unlike analog solutions.

Let's start with our usual power measurement into 300 ohm:

View attachment 63561

310 milliwatts of power into 300 ohm is superb as my threshold of excellence is 100 milliwatts. This means you can drive high impedance headphones with ease. Combined DAC+amp in high power clocks at 110 dB SINAD which is just shy of best case theoretical threshold of hearing (again, 115 dB).

If you want lower noise, you can use the IEM output in low power mode (blue):

View attachment 63562

You have three nice settings for three different scenarios.

Switching to 33 ohm load we get:
View attachment 63563

We have 1.5 watts of power which should be good for most headphones. I did not bother to test the IEM output as the low power mode (red) already had excellent low noise performance.

I was surprised that with 50 millivolts output, performance was not as good as version 1:
View attachment 63564

I use different fixtures to wire up to my analyzer so perhaps that is the reason for slight regression. Still, what is there at 89 dB, beats majority of headphone amplifiers out there.

I did not bother to measure the output impedance and trust the RME spec of it being near zero.

Headphone Listening Tests
I started testing with my Sennheiser HD-650. Wow, these sounded super with incredible amount of power available on tap. I had no trouble getting my ear lobes to resonate with bass heavy music! :D If I did not fear for quick loss of hearing, I would listen that way for hours. :) Ample power, low noise and distortion meant great dynamic range, detail, lack of noise, etc. Everything reflected the fidelity of the source.

I then switched to my super inefficient and low impedance (25 ohm) Ether CX headphone. Here performance was very good but I could get the amp to distort. Granted, by then it was too loud for me to tolerate but still, I like to see some headroom there. Again, these are super difficult headphones to drive.

Conclusions
The RME ADI-2 FS V2 improves on the first generation design in lowering distortion levels. The slick look and huge feature list is a major add-on which doesn't exist in DAC-only products. Headphone amplifier is very powerful and is able to drive most headphones with authority and high fidelity. No records have been broken on the performance though.

Overall combination of features and performance pushes me to give the RME ADI-2 FS DAC V2 my strong recommendation. Indeed, I am still listening to it as I type this and will make it my everyday DAC+amp at my workstation.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

I have packed so many heavy and big boxes and dropped off at UPS store that I am starting to feel sorry for the guy there and want to buy him a gift. So please donate a few dollars toward that if you can. Be on notice though that I might be tempted to keep said money and just use it for myself. :) Here is the link: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

I did something I don't normally do and bought one of these before reading this review. I then listened to the unit via the IEM headphone output as well as the Phono. Superb sound from both and loads of options to play with. The RCA output very clean indeed. The manual is an amusing read. In my mind this review is spot on. Thanks Amir - post purchase I feel even better!!

I would comment on the XLR but still waiting for my new XLR cables which the vendor has not shipped yet as 'they are burning them in as a courtesy'!!!! I would expand on my frustration, but that is a different topic....and a load of guff.

jlm70

Do you know the best way to eq the balanced outputs for speakers / room correction, as well as for headphones?
Is there a scientific way to do it? (with some test tones, etc.)
Anyone of us has... different ears, and unluckily losing sensitivity over time, so... more than a pro microphone, is our personal listening to specific tones favorable? TIA!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you know the best way to eq the balanced outputs for speakers / room correction, as well as for headphones?
Is there a scientific way to do it? (with some test tones, etc.)
Anyone of us has... different ears, and unluckily losing sensitivity over time, so... more than a pro microphone, is our personal listening to specific tones favorable? TIA!
Search for REW and UMIK-1. You can use several parametric EQs in your favorite software player, or let REW optimize and use only the 5 PEQs that the ADI-2 DAC supports.

pallatin

I want one this one so badly. For now, I'm happy with my Babyface Pro FS. It's no slouch either, but a different product. Love RME so much. It's perfect german engineering.

Last edited:

muss3d

Has anyone who owns RME ADI-2 DAC v2 experienced an intermittent short (275ms) noise at the beginning of playback?
In my case it usually happens when no audio was played for a while (few seconds or more) or when input sampling rate changes.
rme-noise.png

I made an example recording with my phone:
https://file.io/s3nYPzqdjUH6
https://ufile.io/pk8qhf5v

I'm on firmware v34.

Any ideas what might be causing it?

Thanks

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Your player software? Or is this SPDIF input?

muss3d

ADI-2 is connected to my laptop via USB.
I'm running:

Most of these settings below come from following tutorials:

Below are some excerpts from a log generated with alsa-info.sh script https://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh

Code:
ALSA Version
Driver version:     k5.8.4-200.fc32.x86_64
Library version:    1.2.3.2
Utilities version:  1.2.3

Packages installed
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.2.2-1.fc32.x86_64
alsa-lib-1.2.3.2-1.fc32.x86_64
alsa-utils-1.2.3-4.fc32.x86_64
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.2.2-1.fc32.i686
alsa-lib-1.2.3.2-1.fc32.i686
alsa-lib-devel-1.2.3.2-1.fc32.x86_64

I've configured Alsa & Pulse outputs for mpd, so I can swap between them whenever I (as somehow DSDoverPCM only works in ALSA)
Code:
audio_output {
    type                "alsa"
    name                "Alsa RME"
    auto_format         "no"
    auto_resample       "no"
    auto_channels       "no"
    dop                 "yes"
    dsd_usb             "no"
    replay_gain_handler "none"
    mixer_type          "none"
}

audio_output {
    type        "pulse"
    name        "Pulse RME"
    auto_format     "no"
    auto_resample   "no"
    auto_channels   "no"
    dop             "yes"
    dsd_usb         "no"
    replay_gain_handler "none"
    mixer_type      "none"
}

/etc/alsa/alsactl.conf
Code:
ctl.hw {
    @args [ CARD ]
    @args.CARD {
        type string
        default "0"
    }
    type hw
    card $CARD
}

/etc/asound.conf
Code:
pcm.!default {
   type plug
   slave.pcm hw
}

/etc/pulse/daemon.conf
Code:
default-sample-format = s24le
default-sample-rate = 44100
alternate-sample-rate = 384000
avoid-resampling = yes
high-priority = yes
resample-method = soxr-vhq

Looking up reviews of the ADI-2, they seem to compare it to the Chord Qtest. In these comparisons they all state that the ADI-2 doesn't have as much of a soundstage or space between instruments. This is of concern to me, as my work will involve binaural surround via ambisonic sources on my computer..

If the ADI-2 is flat (a wire as one would say), how could the Qtest be that much better with sound staging?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking up reviews of the ADI-2, they seem to compare it to the Chord Qtest. In these comparisons they all state that the ADI-2 doesn't have as much of a soundstage or space between instruments. This is of concern to me, as my work will involve binaural surround via ambisonic sources on my computer..

If the ADI-2 is flat (a wire as one would say), how could the Qtest be that much better with sound staging?
Because the space in the soundstage can be as large as the mind can imagine.

Top Bottom