• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
You just made a clock loop without any master. Why you think this can be stable?

dfuller

Major Contributor
You just made a clock loop without any master. Why you think this can be stable?
Well, that does explain quite a bit. But it doesn't explain the other oddities going on here, namely the audible noise around 1KHz at 48KHz and multiples.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Since both the ADI-2 Pro and Modius also support Toslink, I suggest digging up a matching cable and trying that. In theory, there should be no difference, but you know how it is with the difference between theory and practice...

Also, I'd make sure you have monitoring disabled in the RME; creating a feedback loop could yield some funny results.

Last edited:

ElNino

I've encountered a rather frustating (and downright strange) issue with my ADI-2 Pro FS. My Schiit Modius, normally connected via AES out, has not been behaving right at 48KHz and multiples thereof - it has some spurious tones that are audible. According to Izotope insight, they're all between 500hz and 1KHz or just above.

Have you tried it with a different DAC? This issue sounds possibly similar to the firmware bug when switching sample rates that the Bifrost 2 had when it was first released (it was fixed with a firmware update).

dfuller

Major Contributor
Have you tried it with a different DAC? This issue sounds possibly similar to the firmware bug when switching sample rates that the Bifrost 2 had when it was first released (it was fixed with a firmware update).
Well, that's good to know... I'll see if any other Modius owner has had this issue. The weird thing is it locks to other sample rates just fine on USB, just not AES.

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
Anyone know where to buy the new remote? I bought an open box unit several months ago and recieved the wrong remote.

I'm not going to complain much, as it was supposed to be the old version, but I was sent the FS.

Last edited:

dougi

The local distributor should sell you one. Or buy a logitech remote which has codes in its database for it.

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Anyone know where to buy the new remote? I bought an open box unit several months ago and recieved the wrong remote.

I'm not going to complain much, as it was supposed to be the old version, but I was sent the FS.

Remotes are available from RME dealers. You could ask Synthax US, the main distributor over there, how to get one.

BTW, as 'FS' was on the old version already it seems you did not get the wrong remote.

Last edited:

meshplate

Looking at a number of DACs and trying to find the right choice. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be an easy way to choose between them. I think I would feel most comfortable with the RME ADI 2 because it is made by a company in Germany that has a good reputation and that is easy to communicate with. However, I am interested by the SMSL M400 also and perhaps the Chord Qutest. However the RME has more useful features by far. Has anyone actually listened to any of these DACs side by side?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone actually listened to any of these DACs side by side?
Qutest and ADI-2 side by side, when level matched to the same voltage: No audible difference whatsoever, as you would expect from any great DAC.

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be an easy way to choose between them

It is very easy when you know how to read objective performance.;)

Pick your poison regarding features you do need, or other factors (quality, reputation, support etc).

Last edited:

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
Remotes are available from RME dealers. You could ask Sythax US, the main distributor over there, how to get one.

BTW, as 'FS' was on the old version already it seems you did not get the wrong remote.

You are correct. A lifetimes experience with North American marketing practices seems to have led me to the wrong assumption.

ririt

Can anyone tell me if REW measurements can be performed using an UMIK1 microphone by connecting a PC output to the USB input of the RME ADI AD-2 FS to send the signal to be measured to my loudspeakers? Moreover which PC output have to be used? HDMI or USB? Thanks in advance for your replies

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anyone tell me if REW measurements can be performed using an UMIK1 microphone by connecting a PC output to the USB input of the RME ADI AD-2 FS to send the signal to be measured to my loudspeakers? Moreover which PC output have to be used? HDMI or USB? Thanks in advance for your replies
Yes, this works. Connect both RME and UMIK1 to 2 USB ports of your PC. Then start REW and select the RME as output and the UMIK1 as input.

ririt

Yes, this works. Connect both RME and UMIK1 to 2 USB ports of your PC. Then start REW and select the RME as output and the UMIK1 as input.
Thanks Ltig! Did you used this way to play with the RME EQ capabilities to correct your room response?

Willem

Major Contributor
That is what I did: measure response with REW and a Umik into the usb input. Then decide what filters to set and measure again if there is an improvement. Mind you, you have only a few filters to use so focus on the biggest peaks at the lowest frequencies. Equalizing peaks at higher frequencies will be too listening position specific.

ririt

That is what I did: measure response with REW and a Umik into the usb input. Then decide what filters to set and measure again if there is an improvement. Mind you, you have only a few filters to use so focus on the biggest peaks at the lowest frequencies. Equalizing peaks at higher frequencies will be too listening position specific.
Thanks for your input and your advice regarding high frequencies

melowman

Amir's measurement of the improved SINAD at higher levels than 4 Volt output inspired me to show the superiority of the ADI-2 DAC's multiple hardware reference levels, that anyone can use without having to think about it by using the default AutoRef setting. What happens is that when you lower the volume every 6 dB (4 x ) the discrete hardware lowers its amplification and the DAC's digital level is ramped up again. So lowering the volume will not make you loose all the THD+N, or SINAD.

View attachment 63801

First I replicated Amir's measurement (pretty much identical), then added the SINAD states that occur when the hardware level is changed. That didn't fit completely into the measurement, and also requires a logarithmic scale on the x axis for the lower levels. Then I set the reference to +19 dBu and schwuppdiwupp had the SINAD that one gets when changing the volume at the unit. Finally I added the ref levels in balanced and unbalanced mode on top as text. I hope this is understandable. Also please don't get confused: this is about manually setting volume digitally at the unit, not about a swept generator with automatic output level action - that would make no sense.

View attachment 63806

So what it shows is that when you use a standard DAC and only look at the SINAD at 0 dBFS you miss it all. How often do you use 0 dB volume? Most of the time people lower the volume, definitely so when using phones. You can take the best DAC ever measured at ASR- it has no chance against the ADI-2 DAC at a real-world volume setting of (for example) -20 dB.
@MC_RME do we get the same graph when setting the volume in the music player software (rather than the DAC’s knob, that would stay at 0)?

Mulder

Forum Donor
Looking at a number of DACs and trying to find the right choice. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be an easy way to choose between them. I think I would feel most comfortable with the RME ADI 2 because it is made by a company in Germany that has a good reputation and that is easy to communicate with. However, I am interested by the SMSL M400 also and perhaps the Chord Qutest. However the RME has more useful features by far. Has anyone actually listened to any of these DACs side by side?
I would buy the RME ADI-2. You do not just buy a DAC. You also buy into a support structure. You have to ask youself: what is the practise and history of the company behind the DAC. How often do they update the firmware, how is the history of sorting out bugs, for how long will the company support their products, are there a active and supportive user forum, is it a no-nonsense marketing company, or is the marketing full of BS. In all aspects I can think of RME is superior.

Top Bottom