• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Richard Vandersteen does not like "digital things" that correct room modes/inefficiencies

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Some people enjoy music on smartphone speakers despite the sound quality, not because of it. It's easy to fall into the "big fish in a small pond" pattern, when you think that what you have is good enough without even taking the time to explore the better solutions.

Better? Sure, there are always better solutions out there. Not everyone might have the budget or want to spend money on better solutions. And then, better is also entirely subjective. Some may feel the better is too little and not worth the money.

There are also trade-offs. Every better solution out there has pros and cons. Btw, audio is a hobby, not everyone is into this hobby. Its in fact a very very niche hobby.

Today, very few people sit infront of their speakers and listen to their music. Most are doing something else, esp. on their phones/tablets/laptops.

Last edited:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Better? Sure, there are always better solutions out there. Not everyone might have the budget or want to spend money on better solutions.
I said "explore", not "buy".
And then, better is also entirely subjective.
That's your subjective opinion. Objective brands clearly have a notion of better (based on the fact that there's an objective better), seeing that they have multiple ranges.
Some may feel the better is too little and not worth the money.
Obviously. People who don't care much about music shouldn't spend too much on music reproduction equipment.
There are also trade-offs. Every better solution out there has pros and cons.
Nice unsubstantiated opinion.
Btw, audio is a hobby, not everyone is into this hobby. Its in fact a very very niche hobby.
Yes and no. This forum is definitely about the "audio" hobby, but using better equipment pertains to the music listening hobby, too.
Today, very few people sit infront of their speakers and listen to their music. Most are doing something else, esp. on their phones/tablets/laptops.
A lot do that intentionally, sure, but how many simply never heard a good audio system? Also, who says you can't enjoy music while doing "something else"?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean if you give the person the money and space to build the best room and setup in the world, they would pick that over room correction any day of the week.

So when someone who is the elite of the elite (allegedly) of audio reproduction, ofcourse they would be telling you to drink champagne and eat caviar instead of McDonald.

audio2design

Major Contributor
i am agreeing with you regarding using Roomcorrection dsp's and the fast developemnt in this space. However their thougts/developmentt regarding time aligment making (proper use) of first order crossovers is still not outdated.

I would call the insistence on perfect so called perfect time alignment over the full frequency range not outdated but still likely wrong based on lack of consistent preference for speakers designed this way and lack of a hearing mechanism that justifies the requirement over the full frequency range.

He has obvious experience in speaker design but he steps way outside his knowledge and experience all the time in his videos and it shows. No different from Paul at PS Audio.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To use the car analogy, people who love driving buy a stick shift Miata or Boxster to "feel the road" because the journey is just an excuse to drive the car whereas the rest focus on the destination because their car is merely an appliance to get there. Similarly, music is the destination for most people, which means practically any device that delivers music (Amazon echo, Apple Homepod, JBL partybox, etc.) will do and if they do pay extra it's because it looks cool (B&O speakers for example). However, there are the crazy audiophiles who obviously want to get to the destination of good music, but the journey of equipment selection is a required ritual before arriving to the music.

So the general populace who are simply focused on the music itself with little regard to the ritualistic shamanism of equipment selection that are the trademark of audiophiles (this includes both objectivists and subjectivists as we both invest way too much time into reading reviews, researching, demoing, etc.) - these are the music only people cannot relate to the obsession and passion of audiophiles who treat music as part of a larger pursuit that includes the room, acoustic treatment, electronic devices, speakers and music content (analog, vinyl, digital, high rez, spatial audio, etc.). They are the "most" you speak of who are doing something else while the music is playing.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was subjected to one of those omni Bluetooth speakers again at a birthday party a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely dreadful even playing something fairly mellow and well recorded like the Eagles through it. Even though it was just background music it was a relief when it was switched off.

I can't see how anyone can enjoy music from something like that. It does a disservice to music. The old transistor radios were better by a mile, okay they were not hi-fi by any means but at least they weren't actively unpleasant to listen to.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I was subjected to one of those omni Bluetooth speakers again at a birthday party a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely dreadful even playing something fairly mellow and well recorded like the Eagles through it. Even though it was just background music it was a relief when it was switched off.

I can't see how anyone can enjoy music from something like that. It does a disservice to music. The old transistor radios were better by a mile, okay they were not hi-fi by any means but at least they weren't actively unpleasant to listen to.
I'm sorry this is happening to you.

Reactions: Wes

q3cpma

Major Contributor
To use the car analogy, people who love driving buy a stick shift Miata or Boxster to "feel the road" because the journey is just an excuse to drive the car whereas the rest focus on the destination because their car is merely an appliance to get there. Similarly, music is the destination for most people, which means practically any device that delivers music (Amazon echo, Apple Homepod, JBL partybox, etc.) will do and if they do pay extra it's because it looks cool (B&O speakers for example). However, there are the crazy audiophiles who obviously want to get to the destination of good music, but the journey of equipment selection is a required ritual before arriving to the music.
I'd probably add people who buy cars that are reliable and comfortable, because they understand that a long travel doesn't have to suck and that being in a good mood when you arrive (and before you set off) is important too, even if the destination is the goal (my grandpa had 3 powerful diesel Citroën C5 with Hydractive, for example). Same way that there are people who enjoy music and can do so on a subpar system (though I think it's hard to go back to it once you've tasted good sound) but understand that good equipment can magnify that enjoyment.

escksu

So the general populace who are simply focused on the music itself with little regard to the ritualistic shamanism of equipment selection that are the trademark of audiophiles (this includes both objectivists and subjectivists as we both invest way too much time into reading reviews, researching, demoing, etc.) - these are the music only people cannot relate to the obsession and passion of audiophiles who treat music as part of a larger pursuit that includes the room, acoustic treatment, electronic devices, speakers and music content (analog, vinyl, digital, high rez, spatial audio, etc.). They are the "most" you speak of who are doing something else while the music is playing.

Yes, fully agreed. Thats why i mention audio is a very niche hobby. Not everyone is particular about audio quality. Audio can be very expensive as well.

Last edited:

escksu

Same way that there are people who enjoy music and can do so on a subpar system (though I think it's hard to go back to it once you've tasted good sound) but understand that good equipment can magnify that enjoyment.

Obviously. People who don't care much about music shouldn't spend too much on music reproduction equipment.

Are you contradicting yourself??

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Thread notice: Absolutely no political content and/or Covid vaccination content permitted. Please and thank you.

Top Bottom