• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

REW how to guide?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Great ressources. Two questions from me to the pros.

1. Do i measure a subwoofer independant from the whole Frequency response? Home Theater gamer only measure from 10-250Hz so crossover was included but not whole listening range.

2. Should I use the directly or 90 degrees mic method? Also whats up with moving microphone method and all that stuff? Should i take several measurements and average them or whats the state of the art?

Thank you so much!

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Great ressources. Two questions from me to the pros.

1. Do i measure a subwoofer independant from the whole Frequency response? Home Theater gamer only measure from 10-250Hz so crossover was included but not whole listening range.

2. Should I use the directly or 90 degrees mic method? Also whats up with moving microphone method and all that stuff? Should i take several measurements and average them or whats the state of the art?

Thank you so much!

1. Depends on what your intention is with the measurement. If you want to look at the subwoofer's performance independently, then you measure the sub by itself. If you want to integrate the sub into the system, then you measure it with the whole response.

2. It's an omnidirectional mic. The only consideration is whether reflection from the mic stand will affect the measurement or not. Pointing it upwards will remove the influence of the mic stand.

3. Moving microphone method averages the response over a larger area but you lose timing and phase information. There are separate threads discussing this, as well as articles and Youtube videos.

4. Whether you take several measurements and average them, etc - I know this might seem unhelpful, but taking measurements is a constant learning process. I have been using REW for 10 years, and I still encounter new ways of thinking and new ways of doing things. Which one you choose to do depends on what you want to understand about your system, and what your intentions of your measurement might be. For example, if you want to equalize the bass over a large area, you can choose to do averaged sweeps, or a moving mic. The disadvantage of averaged sweeps is the amount of time it takes, and the result is probably not as repeatable as moving mic. The advantage is that you can see exactly what is happening in one position over another and you retain timing/phase information.

ninetylol

1. Depends on what your intention is with the measurement. If you want to look at the subwoofer's performance independently, then you measure the sub by itself. If you want to integrate the sub into the system, then you measure it with the whole response.

2. It's an omnidirectional mic. The only consideration is whether reflection from the mic stand will affect the measurement or not. Pointing it upwards will remove the influence of the mic stand.

3. Moving microphone method averages the response over a larger area but you lose timing and phase information. There are separate threads discussing this, as well as articles and Youtube videos.

4. Whether you take several measurements and average them, etc - I know this might seem unhelpful, but taking measurements is a constant learning process. I have been using REW for 10 years, and I still encounter new ways of thinking and new ways of doing things. Which one you choose to do depends on what you want to understand about your system, and what your intentions of your measurement might be. For example, if you want to equalize the bass over a large area, you can choose to do averaged sweeps, or a moving mic. The disadvantage of averaged sweeps is the amount of time it takes, and the result is probably not as repeatable as moving mic. The advantage is that you can see exactly what is happening in one position over another and you retain timing/phase information.
Thank you! Some good info for me. Im a little hardware and benchmark enthusiast myself, so i hope this will be fun.

Since I just got my sub and im still waiting for my umik-1 I havent place my sub at the final destination yet, just tried a few positions by ear.
Do you have any tips on what to take in consideration regarding measuring in the sub? Speaking of position, sub volume level, phase and crossover. Would you just try different settings, measure the take the best and the add eq?

How would a good measurement look? Like the harman house curve? I. E
1601771763596.png

Thanks again!

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Thank you! Some good info for me. Im a little hardware and benchmark enthusiast myself, so i hope this will be fun.

Since I just got my sub and im still waiting for my umik-1 I havent place my sub at the final destination yet, just tried a few positions by ear.
Do you have any tips on what to take in consideration regarding measuring in the sub? Speaking of position, sub volume level, phase and crossover. Would you just try different settings, measure the take the best and the add eq?

How would a good measurement look? Like the harman house curve? I. E
View attachment 340542

Thanks again!

For some reason this thread hasn't attracted the wider attention of the ASR community so it looks as if I am on my own to help you. I'll bet that those vultures are waiting for me to make a mistake so that they can jump in :oops:

Before I say anything, I should ask you what your intentions are for your sub measurement. Curiosity about its performance? Blend the sub in with your mains? How wide an area do you want to correct? What DSP are you going to use (if any)? How many subs?

ninetylol

For some reason this thread hasn't attracted the wider attention of the ASR community so it looks as if I am on my own to help you. I'll bet that those vultures are waiting for me to make a mistake so that they can jump in :oops:

Before I say anything, I should ask you what your intentions are for your sub measurement. Curiosity about its performance? Blend the sub in with your mains? How wide an area do you want to correct? What DSP are you going to use (if any)? How many subs?
Well my Main goal is to integrate the sub well into my system. I got a pair of Elac DBR62 and a Kef Kube 12b with a WiiM amp, so i can chose where to crossover the sub and speakers (with hpf to speakers).
After the sub is is positioned and integrated well i want to add some eq - where necessary - with the WiiM amp. MLP is on a couch so mostly for one person only.

Thank you for your time Keith!

Keith_W

Major Contributor
This is what you should do - place the mic at the main listening position (MLP) and run a series of sweeps of the whole system (sub+mains combined). Look at the level and phase, and adjust the volume and phase until the subs align with the main system. You can adjust the volume to taste, some people prefer a bit of bass lift. It is easier to unwrap the phase in REW and zoom in on that portion (use "Limits") to take a better look. Once it is volume adjusted, look at the peaks and apply EQ to cut them. Do not attempt to boost the nulls.

While you are at it, you may as well look at the waterfall, distortion, spectrogram, and other graphs since the info is automatically generated.

There is no point doing an Moving Mic Measurement (MMM) for you since you have no DSP capability and you only want correction for a single listening position. If you want to time align your subs, you perform a different measurement ... but again you need DSP for that.

kma100

Forum Donor
Can I use REW if I only have a Bluesound Node as a source? Or do I need a receiver?

Top Bottom