• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review of "To Feel the Music"

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

Hemi-Demon

Nice, I'll pick up a copy to read. Crazy that young had all that backing and couldn't make Pono work.

OP
GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Nice, I'll pick up a copy to read. Crazy that young had all that backing and couldn't make Pono work.

Yeah, but he's limited by his métier. He's a great musician but his traction outside is singing/songwriting is limited. This makes him rather like Bono, who is failing at being an armchair statesman and only seems to appear at the international forums he gate crashes.

I think the real impediment to Pono was Young himself. He became so evangelistic that people interpreted his commentary as more self serving (profit) than altruistic (improving sound). That's where his message fell apart IMHO.

OP
GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Yeah, I had a guy on another list claim that only serious musicians can discern audio nuances. When I pointed him to stats on hearing loss across the industry, he claimed immunity.

Curiously, classical musicians were most affected. Didn't make sense to me at first until discovering the spl of instruments and that some (like violins) were particularly destructive due to their frequency and proximity to the ear.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Neil Young is a very talented song writer who has created a rich musical legacy, he is also a fountain of crackpot ideas and nonsense.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Currently reading this and I'm where he compares vinyl, cd, MP3 and hires streaming .

And he says CD reaches only 25% of the quality that vinyl is capable of.

Isn't that a bit crazy?
And even 192khz 24 bit hi-res files would be only 90% of what vinyl delivers.

Some of the book sounds interesting.. but lots of it so far sounds like something you would hear from some Audiophile nut that talks about his feelings while listening to music.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Currently reading this and I'm where he compares vinyl, cd, MP3 and hires streaming .

And he says CD reaches only 25% of the quality that vinyl is capable of.

Isn't that a bit crazy?
And even 192khz 24 bit hi-res files would be only 90% of what vinyl delivers.

Some of the book sounds interesting.. but lots of it so far sounds like something you would hear from some Audiophile nut that talks about his feelings while listening to music.
More like vinyl reaches 25% of the quality a CD reaches.

Top Bottom