• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping TP60 and FX Audio FX502SPro Amps

Toku

Major Contributor
Do you recommend any specific power supply for TPA3255? Some power supplies are noisy.

So far, I have found
I use an industrial switching power supply. It is the same as the product you proposed.
The voltage setting is adjusted to the target voltage by adjusting the VR of Voltage ADJ.
I also use the 32V / 36V AC adapter that came with my previous SMSL and INDEED amplifiers.
I have no particular commitment to power supplies.

Attachments

• IMG_2681.jpg
    IMG_2681.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_2682.jpg
    IMG_2682.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 448
D

Deleted member 9685

I use an industrial switching power supply. It is the same as the product you proposed.
The voltage setting is adjusted to the target voltage by adjusting the VR of Voltage ADJ.
I also use the 32V / 36V AC adapter that came with my previous SMSL and INDEED amplifiers.
I have no particular commitment to power supplies.

I don't know which one you bought. But, I think velika switching power supply is the most popular and thus the safest option.
How do you hook an industrial power supply to a DC jack?
Any specific components that I need to buy?

Toku

Major Contributor
I don't know which one you bought. But, I think velika switching power supply is the most popular and thus the safest option.
How do you hook an industrial power supply to a DC jack?
Any specific components that I need to buy?
The connection DC cable is made by yourself.
I'm a hobby of electronic work, so I buy a lot of DC plugs and jacks and stock them.

Attachments

• IMG_2685.jpg
    IMG_2685.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 236
D

Deleted member 9685

The connection DC cable is made by yourself.
I'm a hobby of electronic work, so I buy a lot of DC plugs and jacks and stock them.

What about this 32V 6A adapter for the cheap chinese TPA3255 amp? This looks compact and a lot easier to use though I don't know whether it works well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toku

Major Contributor
I think that it can be used enough.
I think it's the same grade that I use.
What about this 32V 6A adapter for the cheap chinese TPA3255 amp? This looks compact and a lot easier to use though I don't know whether it works well.
Probably the same grade that I use.

D

Deleted member 9685

Probably the same grade that I use.

I do not understand "it can be used enough". Are you saying it is a used product? Or, are you saying its lifespan is not very long?
How good is it for TPA3255 amps? Is it worse than industrial SMPS?

Also, I found another similar product.
Is it good, too?

Toku

Major Contributor
I do not understand "it can be used enough". Are you saying it is a used product? Or, are you saying its lifespan is not very long?
How good is it for TPA3255 amps? Is it worse than industrial SMPS?

Also, I found another similar product.
Is it good, too?
> I do not understand "it can be used enough". Are you saying it is a used product?
What I said is that the voltage and current values are optimal for use.

There is very little power supply of 30V-36V output which is most suitable for the amplifier of TPA3255. Industrial products are usually 24V / 48V. So I change the voltage myself.

> Also, I found another similar product.Is it good, too?
Yes, the voltage and current capacity of this product match.

Note
Two types of new and old models are on sale for the TPA3255 amplifier I introduced. Bluetooth 5.0 is the newer model.

D

Deleted member 9685

Two types of new and old models are on sale for the TPA3255 amplifier I introduced. Bluetooth 5.0 is the newer model.

This one is equipped with 1000uF/80V capacitor and is being optionally sold with a 48V industrial power supply although its bluetooth version is 4.2.
Since I don't use bluetooth, would it not be better to go with the one with a 1000uF/80V capacitor? If it comes with 1000uF/80V capacitor, I can probably use a 48V power supply with it.

But, I don't like an industrial SMPS with a fan that always runs regardless of temperature. I may still choose a 32V 5A or 6A DC adapter.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
This one is equipped with 1000uF/80V capacitor and is being optionally sold with a 48V industrial power supply although its bluetooth version is 4.2.
Since I don't use bluetooth, would it not be better to go with the one with a 1000uF/80V capacitor? If it comes with 1000uF/80V capacitor, I can probably use a 48V power supply with it.

But, I don't like an industrial SMPS with a fan that always runs regardless of temperature. I may still choose a 32V 5A or 6A DC adapter.
That looks to have cut even more corners than the generic one QuantAsylum tested, hardly surprising given the price.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you recommend any specific TPA3255 amp with a specific power supply?
The more powerful, the better.

As an owner of the FX 502SPro and owner/builder of a 3E Audio amp, I want to disagree with some of the advice given here.

The FX-502SPro was designed to work with a 24V power supply. Just because the TPA3255 chip can handle more does not mean the FX-502SPro board can. It is possible that FX-Audio only provides a 24v board because it is cheaper, but even more likely they designed the entire system with components, heatsinks, and a chassis not designed for more without shutting down or risking damage....because it is cheaper.

That said, my FX-502 Pro with stock power supply has never given me problems....but I never push it hard. Even though my 502SPro has worked fine, I agree with Amir's post that changing the power supply will not solve its problems. I think going to a higher voltage supply could cause new problems. The 3E Audio is a superior amp in terms of power, build, and likely reliability. And, it costs a lot more. However, played within the 502S Pro's limitations, I do not think I can hear a difference between the two.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Do you recommend any specific TPA3255 amp with a specific power supply?
The more powerful, the better.
They also tested TI's EVM which broadly matched what the datasheet said. I'm not aware of any others that have had 3rd party testing, but 3E include some AP measurements in their datasheet that are up to TI's datasheet performance levels.

D

Deleted member 9685

The FX-502SPro was designed to work with a 24V power supply. Just because the TPA3255 chip can handle more does not mean the FX-502SPro board can.

FX502S Pro is a TPA3250 amp which is not the same as TPA3255. TPA3255 can take higher voltage.

D

Deleted member 9685

I read that volume knobs on many cheap chinese amps cause 5 or more percent of imbalance between left and right channels when their position is not between 11 and 12 o'clock. It is a quality control issue.

I don't know whether some TPA3255 amps are affected by this volume knob issue.

If there is no outstanding issue, I consider ordering a bluetooth 5.0 TPA3255 amp with 1000uF/50V capacitor and a 32V 5~6A DC adaptor in a few days.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FX502S Pro is a TPA3250 amp which is not the same as TPA3255. TPA3255 can take higher voltage.
Right, I mistyped. My point remains that the even if the TPA3250 (or TPA3255) is rated to take more power (up to 36V in the case of the TPA3250), does not mean the FX502S Pro can handle 36V...when the board the chip is on was designed for 24V max.

Re: Volume Control. I have owned a lot of cheap Chinese amps and can remember none that had audible balance issues beyond the first 5% or so of the volume control. Many had problems in the first 5%. However, it is certainly more likely that a cheap amp will use cheap pots for volume and be more prone to imbalance. That of course, would have nothing to do with the power chip used.

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Right, I mistyped. My point remains that the even if the TPA3250 (or TPA3255) is rated to take more power (up to 36V in the case of the TPA3250), does not mean the FX502S Pro can handle 36V...when the board the chip is on was designed for 24V max.
Another example of this is the generic TPA3255 board QuantAsylum tested (see link in post above) - it used a regulator that's only rated to 40V. Pushing it to 50V doesn't kill it immediately, but it does add sidetones to the switching frequency, some of which fall in the audible range. This is marked 'Instability' in their first noise floor plot. Apart from the reduction in amp performance, operating the regulator above its max voltag is probably going to shorten its life significantly.

Toku

Major Contributor
As an owner of the FX 502SPro and owner/builder of a 3E Audio amp, I want to disagree with some of the advice given here.
Really!
I was disappointed at the operation of FX-502S Pro and purchased two types of 3E audio TPA3255 amplifiers and a power supply unit.

TPA3255 1x480W Class D Amplifier
TPA3255 2x260W Class D Amplifier
400W 48V / 8.5A Quasi-Resonant Power Supply For TPA3255

These amps are now my regular amps.
I think 3E audio's products are very good at TI chip performance.
Unfortunately, sales have now stopped.

sychan

Forum Donor
D

Deleted member 9685

I ordered a no-name chinese TPA3251 amp from aliexpress.com with a 32V 5A adapter.

Has FX502S Pro fixed its defects by now?
Extreme distortions amir experienced could be from a defective unit because other people did not report any perceptible distortion.
I suspect the protection circuit is actually working correctly and kicks in when the amp demands more power than the power supply can provide.

Top Bottom