• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX7s DAC and Headphone Amp

greeny

Just received the HiFi Man HE-4XX and is copulate with the DX7s. Trying to do a AB comparison with the TakStar HF580 and the DT880. Using a third-party cable.

ComasSky

Hi all !

I'm very insterested by this DAC/preamp.

It would be connected to an Emotiva XPA 2.

But I still have a doubt about the use, activating the DAC mode would be catastrophic (0db) and would destroy my speakers.

Is it possible to activate this mode without paying attention via the remote control?

bambadoo

I think you only can activate "dac only" mode via a press on the dx7s itself. Not from the remote as I can recall?
But i might be wrong :)

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just ordered the DX7S, couldn't resist the $325 sales price on Drop, but delivery is estimated for 2/22/20! This is going to feed powered speakers in my home studio.

chaotic_angel

Just received the HiFi Man HE-4XX and is copulate with the DX7s. Trying to do a AB comparison with the TakStar HF580 and the DT880. Using a third-party cable.

please update on how Dx7s drive HF580 and match-ability according to you

chaotic_angel

question have you experiencing static pop sound during the play? having that in my unit now when playing Spotify & Foobar from PC with USB input

cheungtsw

What kind of english is this?

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-03-17 194143.jpg
    Annotation 2020-03-17 194143.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 160

shiroang

@amirm

I'm a new member here and read quite a lot of very informative reviews/articles you have on Topping products.
[Long post ahead]

I bought a D10 yesterday from a local online sale (I'm based in Singapore), then I found out more on their products from their official site and your reviews.

I have changed my main workstation to Apple/Mac OS ecosystem, previously I was on Windows (DIY Tower PC) and have a dedicated sound card which can accommodate headphones and also optical out to my AVR then to my speakers.

Actually the reason I bought a D10 yesterday was because it was one of the rare DACs that I found on a budget that has optical/coaxial out, because I'm using passive speakers + AVR, and my Macbook Pro well doesn't have an optical/coaxial out. But it doesn't have a headphone output.

Then here's where I see a lot of your informative reviews and came up with 2 options pairing and wondering whether you could advise which of the option would be a better one in your opinion.

My setup for reference
Source:
Macbook Pro 16"
AVR: Yamaha RX A-3020
Speakers: Usher Mini X Diamond Speakers (Taiwanese brand)
Headphones: AKG Q701

Option 1: D10 + A30/A50
Use my incoming D10 as DAC and it's Optical Out to AVR + Speakers, and then Line Out to A30/A50. Then I will use the Headphones Out from A30/A50 for headphones. (Though I see rumours/news there might be an updated A50s coming in the near future?)

Option 2: DX7s
Use a standalone DX7s, as it has Coaxial Out and Headphone Out

I do know there's all in one alternative like the Topping MX3 and SMSL AD18, but those two quality are probably not good enough, and I don't think their 38-40w per channel is able to drive my Usher Mini X Diamond Speakers on it's own.

My main requirement is definitely speakers, and secondary will be for headphones when it's late at night when I do not want to disturb my wife or neighbours. Lastly will be the space requirement, anything around DX7s dimension will be the max I could accommodate on my desk.

Thanks in advance!!

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@amirm

I'm a new member here and read quite a lot of very informative reviews/articles you have on Topping products.
[Long post ahead]

I bought a D10 yesterday from a local online sale (I'm based in Singapore), then I found out more on their products from their official site and your reviews.

I have changed my main workstation to Apple/Mac OS ecosystem, previously I was on Windows (DIY Tower PC) and have a dedicated sound card which can accommodate headphones and also optical out to my AVR then to my speakers.

Actually the reason I bought a D10 yesterday was because it was one of the rare DACs that I found on a budget that has optical/coaxial out, because I'm using passive speakers + AVR, and my Macbook Pro well doesn't have an optical/coaxial out. But it doesn't have a headphone output.

Then here's where I see a lot of your informative reviews and came up with 2 options pairing and wondering whether you could advise which of the option would be a better one in your opinion.

My setup for reference
Source:
Macbook Pro 16"
AVR: Yamaha RX A-3020
Speakers: Usher Mini X Diamond Speakers (Taiwanese brand)
Headphones: AKG Q701

Option 1: D10 + A30/A50
Use my incoming D10 as DAC and it's Optical Out to AVR + Speakers, and then Line Out to A30/A50. Then I will use the Headphones Out from A30/A50 for headphones. (Though I see rumours/news there might be an updated A50s coming in the near future?)

Option 2: DX7s
Use a standalone DX7s, as it has Coaxial Out and Headphone Out

I do know there's all in one alternative like the Topping MX3 and SMSL AD18, but those two quality are probably not good enough, and I don't think their 38-40w per channel is able to drive my Usher Mini X Diamond Speakers on it's own.

My main requirement is definitely speakers, and secondary will be for headphones when it's late at night when I do not want to disturb my wife or neighbours. Lastly will be the space requirement, anything around DX7s dimension will be the max I could accommodate on my desk.

Thanks in advance!!
There will be D10s, E30, L30, A50s, and A90. A90 and E30 are sent for audition and reviews already. The rest will come out soon later.

shiroang

There will be D10s, E30, L30, A50s, and A90. A90 and E30 are sent for audition and reviews already. The rest will come out soon later.

Oh dang I just bought the D10 yesterday haha :eek:.

But yeah, maybe could get some advice from this community which of the options would be better.

Listenisb

I've been experience usb connection issue with my unit. Sample rate will fix randomly. Spotify and Tidal shows unable to play current song or no sound at all with song still playing. I've tried to fix it but no luck at all. Factory reset, switch usb cable and port, disable other sound device,reinstall player and windows, reinstalled driver, set usb power setting on my pc. The only work around is to turn off the dac and reconnect usb cable then turn on the unit. Optical connection works fine all the time. I have to do it every half hour sometimes couple hours. Can some please help?

marcom22

Hi men sorry for the question obvious BUT Can I have improvement if I use the XRL headphone out of my DX7s' Topping to RCA Input of my headphone amplifier?

Logically I use a cable adapter from XLR to RCA, I tell this because I see that the XLR outputs have better features than the 1/4 jack unbalanced out.

Thanks Men

Top Bottom