• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

patient_ot

So it looks like the DX3Pro ac adapter cord is only 1 meter or a bit over 3 feet long. Can anyone suggest a compatible AC adapter 15V 1A that is at least 5 feet long?

Last edited:

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor

g_t_j

Anyone using their DX3 with Roon?
If so, do you care to share the audio configuration?
Under DSP nothing alternative works for me for up-sampling except from the ''compatibility only'' option.
Any thoughts?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
The amount of DX3 Pro failures and problems reported here, even with the new 19xx revisions, is startling. I was considering getting one, but now I'm not so sure. I was also thinking the DX7 Pro, but I don't want to pay 3 times as much for extra power and slightly better measurements if I don't have to. At this point I may still save up for the RME-ADI-2 DAC since Topping is clearly still having issues.

I think you just don't hear from the happy ones. I have the dx3 pro, d70 and the d50s.
Can't tell between them, and no issues whatsoever with any of them. Just, pure, clean music comes out of my speakers... Assuming that's what I put in...

I would have no reservation buying another one, and the whole cold vs warm vs my wife hears the difference claims tend to disappear once the listening experience is controlled, assuming you are starting with basically competent DAC's...which these are.

Uncontrolled subjective opinions and claims to the contrary have yet to be demonstrated once the output levels are very closely matched, and the testing is done without knowing which is playing.
By anyone.
Ever.

Stop worrying...it's hard to get one bad enough to actually hear any real world difference.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
I think you just don't hear from the happy ones. I have the dx3 pro, d70 and the d50s.
Can't tell between them, and no issues whatsoever with any of them. Just, pure, clean music comes out of my speakers... Assuming that's what I put in...

I would have no reservation buying another one, and the whole cold vs warm vs my wife hears the difference claims tend to disappear once the listening experience is controlled, assuming you are starting with basically competent DAC's...which these are.

Uncontrolled subjective opinions and claims to the contrary have yet to be demonstrated once the output levels are very closely matched, and the testing is done without knowing which is playing.
By anyone.
Ever.

Stop worrying...it's hard to get one bad enough to actually hear any real world difference.
Well said. At some point the guys just need to realize that they own / have access to objectively the best DAC audio equipment ever made and just need to stop thinking so much and start enjoying their music and movie etc content.

patient_ot

Has anyone used an aftermarket power adapter from Maxson or Jameco with the Dx3pro? The ones I am looking at are 15v 1a and 15v 2a. I'm looking for a power adapter with a longer cord than the stock one. I tried the stock and it's definitely a bit too short for me. Thanks.

Yuno

Has anyone used an aftermarket power adapter from Maxson or Jameco with the Dx3pro? The ones I am looking at are 15v 1a and 15v 2a. I'm looking for a power adapter with a longer cord than the stock one. I tried the stock and it's definitely a bit too short for me. Thanks.
You can easily find extender cables. I believe it's DC 2,1/5,5mm, but you would need to confirm. Just measure dimensions of connector yourself. I had no problems getting such cable.
Otherwise as long as the specs of psu match, there is no problem. Just make sure to use something reliable, Meanwell worked well for me.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
How about going for that P30 linear power supply; then you can use a longer version of those 3 prong plugs that used to come with kettles.

Veri

Master Contributor
I've pretty good experience with Jameco. Should be fine.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What do i understand from here? that all the topings dac have such problems, distortions, or it is an isolated case??????
I think chi-fi is like a bet. You can get a good unit or a bad one.

patient_ot

I've pretty good experience with Jameco. Should be fine.

Thanks, I'm waiting on a confirmation of the connector size and then I may just order a Jameco power adapater. The extender cable someone mentioned would work, but those are almost as much as the Jameco. Not gonna get a $120 linear power supply for a budget DAC, at least not right now.

patient_ot

I think chi-fi is like a bet. You can get a good unit or a bad one.

Like anything else, you need to do your research, and yes, some folks are unlucky. Having a bad run, or a couple bad runs early on in the production of a particular product is not unusual, no matter where that product is made or what brand it is.

Anyone remember the boot-looping problem with LG phones a couple years ago? I'm on my third LG phone and never had that problem, yet a fair number of people were unlucky and experienced the issue.

One of the reasons I waited to try a Topping DAC was due to the reliability issues with certain models. I was also very skeptical of Chinese brands in general. What I did was buy a small SMSL DAC for ~$100 that I use at my desk. I've had it for over a year with no problems. That gave me more confidence in these brands like Topping, SMSL, et. al.

Fingers crossed on my new DX3Pro. If it develops problems, I will likely try a different Topping or SMSL model.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like anything else, you need to do your research, and yes, some folks are unlucky. Having a bad run, or a couple bad runs early on in the production of a particular product is not unusual, no matter where that product is made or what brand it is.

Anyone remember the boot-looping problem with LG phones a couple years ago? I'm on my third LG phone and never had that problem, yet a fair number of people were unlucky and experienced the issue.

One of the reasons I waited to try a Topping DAC was due to the reliability issues with certain models. I was also very skeptical of Chinese brands in general. What I did was buy a small SMSL DAC for ~$100 that I use at my desk. I've had it for over a year with no problems. That gave me more confidence in these brands like Topping, SMSL, et. al.

Fingers crossed on my new DX3Pro. If it develops problems, I will likely try a different Topping or SMSL model.

My Topping D10 works very well, but my SMSL AD18 volume knob is half dead, the unit turns on by itself. Other people experience the other way around. On the long term, I'm doubtful.

patient_ot

My Topping D10 works very well, but my SMSL AD18 volume knob is half dead, the unit turns on by itself. Other people experience the other way around. On the long term, I'm doubtful.

Did you ever contact the manufacturer or seller about that?

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
@amirm

+1 on retesting the latest v2 or whatever. Or at least an Edit at the end of the original review - covering power out, and impedance at least?

I was about to pull the trigger on one of these, thought I should look at but dreaded doing so the 200 comment pages.. but then glad I did, finding the now 10 ohm (?) Output impedance and reduced power.. So holding off until current performance confirmed..

Keep up the great reports here at ASR!

Yuno

+1 on retesting the latest v2 or whatever. Or at least an Edit at the end of the original review - covering power out, and impedance at least?
That is already there.
That aside, this entire review should be taken down. It's a great advertisement for Topping with over 600k views, despite not necessarily being relevant for units that are sold currently. I don't like what Topping is doing here, I don't believe they "forgot" to send Amir new unit.

patient_ot

I wouldn't mind seeing a test of the current model. It would be interesting to see from a curiosity perspective at least. The headphone amp wasn't a selling point for me as I will rarely use it but it is important to a significant number of people. The headphones I use are also very easy to drive. If the HP amp section is no longer compatible with hard to drive HPs that some headphone nuts use that would be something worth knowing.

Mine came from Apos and was shipped directly from Shenzen via DHL. Serial number is 190559XXXX.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this already (long thread here) but the remote doesn't use the little coin cell type battery anymore. It takes two AAA batteries.

I did have a little trouble putting the DAC in setup mode due to unclear language in the instructions. For anyone having trouble, here's what I did: hold down the multi-function button and keep it held down. Remove the power cord and plug it back in. You should now be in setup mode and can follow the rest of the included instructions to set it up however you want.

Since my unit is hooked up to a stereo system I now have it set to fixed line out. Once this is done the sample rate of your audio (e.g. 44.1/96/etc) will display rather than the volume in decibels.

Guinot

Since my unit is hooked up to a stereo system I now have it set to fixed line out. Once this is done the sample rate of your audio (e.g. 44.1/96/etc) will display rather than the volume in decibels.
It will also be visible for couple of seconds in pre-amp mode when switching the input source

Starcraft

Hello everyone,

I have a D30 that I dont use anymore and need a desktop ou portable amp and dac for my headphones. Would it be better to go for this one or get just and amp? I

Top Bottom