• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

THW

Forum Donor
Either :p I like the Dx3 a lot because it has an amp too though.

Yeah the DX3 for me is this really versatile little box for sure

It even has Bluetooth for when you have awkwardly placed power plugs or when you just want to relax on your bed without having to go to your desk

SiW

Yeah the DX3 for me is this really versatile little box for sure

It even has Bluetooth for when you have awkwardly placed power plugs or when you just want to relax on your bed without having to go to your desk

Does the Bluetooth option do the full range of sampling frequencies?

Mine is currently clearing UK customs!

Simon

pauze

For value, check out the Beyerdynamic DT880 250 Ohm. They do come on occasion in the US$150 range.

I was able to get a DT880 600ohm version for $118 shipped (via buydig [authorized seller] on ebay + watched for price to fall to $139, which it does on occasion + kept an eye out for a 15% off ebay coupon). It's a good value overall but I have reservations with outright recommending it because of its treble profile -- anything mastered bright may become excruciating to listen to, and it really emphasizes sibilance. I really like it for my jazz and soul collection, however.

Tup3x

Is the massdrop HD 6XX worth the extra $50 over HD 58X Jubilee?
In my opinion, definitely. It's definitely the better headphone.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I got one more headphone question. Hifiman HE400i, I can get those for the same price as Massdrop Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee. Which headphones do you guys think are better?
Most of the time I like my he400i better than hd650. More open, lighter airy sounding.

Last edited:

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Imagine we like some graph numbers here : ) below is overlay comparison of HD598 / HD6XX / HD650 / HE4XX / HE400i, graphs are curves traced from Sonarworks Ref 4 VST plugin which base their EQ filters, only manipulation here is they all offset around 1kHz point.

1001.png

SiW

Imagine we like some graph numbers here : ) below is overlay comparison of HD598 / HD6XX / HD650 / HE4XX / HE400i, graphs are curves traced from Sonarworks Ref 4 VST plugin which base their EQ filters, only manipulation here is they all offset around 1kHz point.

View attachment 18640

Can we also see HE400s on the chart as well please?

Simon

confucius_zero

We have the 400i, Sundara, Edition X, Ananda, 600, 650(6xx), 800S, 990, 880, 1990 headphones at work and I still sold off my Focal Elear to get the HD58X.

It's the pair I enjoy most out of all mentionned headphones (the 800S beats it for soundstage of course). The superior FR coverage it has over the 650 and the sstage expansion that somewhat matches the 400i while still retaining the classic 600 series sound signature made me consider it. It's a nice modern take on the 600 series.

BYRTT

Forum Donor
W
Can we also see HE400s on the chart as well please?

Simon
Shure but unfortunate at present HE400s is not listed and as i get it they don't release a model before they have some unknow for me numbers of measurements to get some avarage to base their shared data and corrections, if HE400s model show up down the road i get back here and share a new overlay or write your a note.

Or in meantime if you can point me to a site that has HE400s curves plus either HE400i or HE4XX will think i can add it to above list, because then their difference of calibration and target curve verse Sonarworks i can then find out divide the two sites same headphone curves and use as a EQ correction that when added to their HE400s measurement should get us into same ballpark.

confucius_zero

Wolven

Judging by reviews HiFiman he-400i has better and deeper bass than Sennheiser hd650. Looking at the graph above the opposite should be true. Hmm

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Think understand what you mean Wolven and sometimes a sad thing about reviews, to back up my previous overlay is not lying find screen capture of VST plugin below for HE400i verse HD650.

Attachments

• HE400i.PNG
    HE400i.PNG
    114 KB · Views: 245
  • HD650.png
    HD650.png
    105.8 KB · Views: 192

nirschl

@amirm

Pardon my ignorance but, I’m curious how you’d compare this DX3 Pro to the JDS Labs Atom you also recently reviewed? I’m planning to use one or both for my Yamaha HS5’s(pre amp) and HD600 series. I have already ordered the DX3 Pro and the Atom also looks intriguing for it price point. Thanks

Last edited:

THW

Forum Donor

Sangram

Here's answer to your questions.
1. We bring in this problem while solving pop noise of AK4493.

Edit:

The unit I have has minimal clicking, only power-up, power down and track pause/play.

Track change has small click in speaker but none in the relay. Seek has no click at all either inside the box or in speaker.

I don't use the included USB cable or power supply, but I get consistent results with Windows (W7 with 50ms buffer and ASIO driver) and MPD+ALSA (I tried only Moode Player using generic USB device setting).

--------------------------------------------

Hi there,

First post here!

I'm waiting for my unit, and stumbled across this issue a bit after ordering. I had a quick look at the board pictures and was hoping for a bit of insight. The problem may be simple or complicated for a user fix, depending on how it is implemented and how intrusive it actually is. I have a week or so before the unit reaches me, and want to start working on a fix proactively in case I end up needing it.

While I understand the reason for the clicks, my question is whether both relays are muted in exactly the same way, or is the issue limited to a single relay. Also, whether they shunt the signal via resistor or are in the actual signal path like a series switch.

I read a lot of feedback on relay clicking but none on any interruption of the sound stream either on headphones or on the line output, which means the duration of the offset is probably lower than required for audible stream interruption - and maybe that they are shunts (though I can't see the shunt resistors - solder side?), but I wanted to be sure (if you are at liberty to share). I am assuming the third relay is a toggled gain switch, and all three are wired to the ST microcontroller?

Not sure what levels of pop we are dealing with so any insight you can provide would help - is the offset the kind that will kill speakers/headphones/eardrums, or just an irritating click (few mV).

I can wire together a JFET-based soft mute with a 5-6 components and replace the relay, which would not be too difficult (I think relay is through hole so a compatible daughterboard should be doable) - if the pop is excessive. I also do not plan on using the headphone output so that's one less thing to worry about. Relays do have better S/N than soft-mute circuits, but obviously excessive operation of the muting circuit mandates a soft-mute.

Whenever I have removed soft-mute I find only small noises when changing sample rate or powering up/down, nothing significant worth worrying about. However hard mute is almost always required when the offset/pop/transient is very large (>50mV), and requires relays. Additional question would be whether this is unique to dual mono 4493 due to larger imbalance because of mono mode operation. But we can do nothing about that at this point except increasing the driven load, which will worsen performance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom