• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

THW

Forum Donor
Is that a fact or do you guess this? Or am I am to sceptic?
People do say Topping’s QC is above average, but take that with a grain of salt because it’s simply hearsay

That being said my DX3 Pro runs mostly flawlessly

Wolven

Is that a fact or do you guess this? Or am I am to sceptic?

Complete guess, but I would assume people unhappy with the unit would come here, since we are all talking about it, and there hasn't been a lot of complaints about dead units, but there have been some.

I have been buying electronic gear for decades, and looking at reviews there always seems to be a few QC complaints. Just recently, I was researching Hifiman headphones and number of complaints was large.

Bliman

Complete guess, but I would assume people unhappy with the unit would come here, since we are all talking about it, and there hasn't been a lot of complaints about dead units, but there have been some.

I have been buying electronic gear for decades, and looking at reviews there always seems to be a few QC complaints. Just recently, I was researching Hifiman headphones and number of complaints was large.
Ok. Yeah I know what you mean about Hifiman. That's the reason that I didn't buy one (400i).
And yeah you are probably right about the quality. Maybe there is just still to much negative thoughts about Chinese gear for me, and this is heightened with the non communication.

THW

Forum Donor
Ok. Yeah I know what you mean about Hifiman. That's the reason that I didn't buy one (400i).
And yeah you are probably right about the quality. Maybe there is just still to much negative thoughts about Chinese gear for me, and this is heightened with the non communication.
Based on my experience with Topping’s customer service, they’re a bit slow but when they do reply to your question the response is actually useful and helpful

pejakovic1

This actually seems like the ultimate device to take to work. You can stream from your phone over bluetooth and just leave this and your headphones on your desk.

Too bad it has so many problems. I couldn't recommend anyone buy it in it's current state.

So many problems? You mean only the clicking and two dead on arrival units? Lol, I guess most of us early adopters that are satisfied have no reason to watch this thread each hour anymore because we enjoy listening to music too much. Hope you find your perfect device.

ngs428

Can Christmas come soon enough?? Wife is holding mine hostage.

I could try to find it like when I was a kid. It has to be here somewhere....!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Toku

Major Contributor
How to do factory reset?
Hello everyone,

Although it is written in the manual how to reset the DX3 Pro to the factory shipping state, it is hard to understand.

To reset to factory default, operate in the following order.

1. Set the display to the initial state of only dots (standby state, sleep state).
2. Turn the multifunction knob counterclockwise 3 or 4 turns, all the display lights up, then the screen returns to the dot only display again.
3. This will reset the factory default.

hrbngr

I got my "clicky" unit in earlier this week. Looking forward to a firmware update, hope that turns out to fix the issue.

On another note, what sort of volume level are ppl using to run their HD 650/6XXs? I was closing in on +0db volume level, so i tried using it in DAC only mode to the THX AAA 789 and that made a big difference for me. I tried both low gain and the +9db gain on the DX3pro. Wondering if i was doing something wrong.

GAP

@GAP they sent me the last one of their first batch. I had other stuff in my order so maybe that gave mine priority, I would start getting mad in your case though =/

Can always consider cancelling and be on the look-out for used or in-stock ones. It's also on massdrop again.

Yeah, I'm slightly mad, but on the other hand its not like i'm lacking amps to use haha. All I know is that I have lost all trust in Audioponics, and that the DX3 is the last thing I buy from there.

THW

Forum Donor
I got my "clicky" unit in earlier this week. Looking forward to a firmware update, hope that turns out to fix the issue.

On another note, what sort of volume level are ppl using to run their HD 650/6XXs? I was closing in on +0db volume level, so i tried using it in DAC only mode to the THX AAA 789 and that made a big difference for me. I tried both low gain and the +9db gain on the DX3pro. Wondering if i was doing something wrong.

I didn’t feel like I was short on power with the HD 600 and that is supposed to be less efficient than the HD 650, I was hitting uncomfortably loud levels on high gain most of the time anywhere between -25 to -15 dB volume level

Also that difference could be the THX AAA 789 pushing out a lot more power than the DX3

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Do you have it on low or high gain? In high gain I have plenty of headroom with my HD-650. Highest is probably -10 to -12 dB.

THW

Forum Donor
Do you have it on low or high gain? In high gain I have plenty of headroom with my HD-650. Highest is probably -10 to -12 dB.

I think he also tried the high gain, he did say he used the +9dB gain which is the high gain setting

THW

Forum Donor
@hrbngr what’s your preamp volume setting in whatever EQ software you’re using?

Mine is -6 dB, EqualizerAPO with Peace extension

Pavano

Got mine the other day, it’s clicking whenever I pause or switch track and so on.
Any news on th clicking front? A new firmware in the pipeline or a workaround?

darker

Got mine the other day, it’s clicking whenever I pause or switch track and so on.
Any news on th clicking front? A new firmware in the pipeline or a workaround?

Hey, I read about this "issue", before receiving my unit, and my unit had the same "issue". Just go on their website, and download the driver for DX3 (i had to do it again after restarting computer).

ngs428

As I wait for mine... I am on windows 10 and will be using foobar exclusively. What is the best way to set this up so I can hear all my file in native resolution? No DSD, all FLAC in 16/44 to 24/192.

Thanks!

djsara

[QUOTE = "ngs428, post: 125705, member: 4447"] пока я жду моего... Я на windows 10 и будет использовать исключительно foobar. Каков лучший способ настроить это, чтобы я мог слышать весь мой файл в собственном разрешении? Нет DSD, все FLAC с 16/44 по 24/192.

Спасибо![/ЦИТАТА]
River Media Center 24

Top Bottom