• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

Veri

Master Contributor
If you use wasapi, asio or kernel streaming and bypass windows k-mixer/resampler it will also bypass windows volume regulation. Nevertheless, you shouldn't use windows volume regulation at all if you are purist guy and have it always set to max volume in windows as it kills dynamics as you said. Of course your trick can do the job a bit but it's better to use volume regulation that comes from inside the dac (like in ess on very long word - 48bit if I recall, so there is no impact on dynamics) or your headphone amp in the unit. I am using windows volume set to max, always, thus 16 bit & 44,1k in windows.
24-bit and full volume achieves the same thing though, remaining bits are zero'd, but also supports 24-bit audio if your source is higher-res than 16-bit :) players like foobar2000 and Roon also use 32-bit volume control before the output gets sent out, so again 24- or higher output rate is simply better.
Finally, 16-bit audio usually scores much lower in Jitter tests. There is no downside to 24-bit, even if you want to max out volume on the DAC at all times.

bona998

24-bit and full volume achieves the same thing though, remaining bits are zero'd, but also supports 24-bit audio if your source is higher-res than 16-bit :) players like foobar2000 and Roon also use 32-bit volume control before the output gets sent out, so again 24- or higher output rate is simply better.
Finally, 16-bit audio usually scores much lower in Jitter tests. There is no downside to 24-bit, even if you want to max out volume on the DAC at all times.

What you just said my friend is true :)
It all does not matter when you use WASAPI or ASIO for serious listening - when in this mode, it completely ignores what you set in windows. I don't listen to hi-rez files in "pure windows mode" using directsound etc, I don't do any critical auditions without bypassing windows kmixer/resampler. In general resampling messes so badly that you can even tell the difference between youtube played with different browsers like chrome or firefox if you listen carefully to the same track (especially some piano/cello classical recordings). Well, we don't have much choice when listening to youtube until there is some wasapi based browser :>

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
What you just said my friend is true :)
It all does not matter when you use WASAPI or ASIO for serious listening - when in this mode, it completely ignores what you set in windows. I don't listen to hi-rez files in "pure windows mode" using directsound etc, I don't do any critical auditions without bypassing windows kmixer/resampler. In general resampling messes so badly that you can even tell the difference between youtube played with different browsers like chrome or firefox if you listen carefully to the same track (especially some piano/cello classical recordings). Well, we don't have much choice when listening to youtube until there is some wasapi based browser :>
I route entire Windows audio to WASAPI end device via Reaper digital workstation :)

Not for the reasons you mention, but just to be able to run VST on audio, system-wide. You might be able to achieve the same via Voicemeeter, just route Windows audio at max volume onto Wasapi wrapper :D should be bitperfect but alas, might have some latency. In reaper I have 5ms delay.

Hammondk

1543761577218.png

Seems to work without any clicking sound as mentioned

Direct Asia order from a group buy on Caurosell Singapore. I heard was a 12-15 unit batch from Topping direct.

Veri

Master Contributor
View attachment 18318

Seems to work without any clicking sound as mentioned

Direct Asia order from a group buy on Caurosell Singapore. I heard was a 12-15 unit batch from Topping direct.
ASIO and WASAPI are exclusive mode (micro-manage the sample rate). The users on the board with clicking problems here are using Windows DirectSound (as far as I know).

donald24

Then probably a viable workaround for the time being would be to use something like virtual audio cable or jrivermediacenters wdm drivers, to reroute everything to the dx3 asio interface?
My dx3 is also already on its way to me... hopefully topping fixes this in a timely fashion...

Hammondk

Ok pardon my ignorance, I naturally use ASIO as my default method of outputting to DACs coming from my 2 previous DAC are Chord Mojo and IFI IDSD Black Label. I hope there would be a workaround for other board users who need to depend on WASAPI for the inputs to the DX3Pro

Bigsy

Then probably a viable workaround for the time being would be to use something like virtual audio cable or jrivermediacenters wdm drivers, to reroute everything to the dx3 asio interface?
My dx3 is also already on its way to me... hopefully topping fixes this in a timely fashion...
Theres already a few workarounds if you read the thread, I posted one here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dx3pro-dac-and-headphone-amp.4967/post-121700

I wouldn't call any a real solution.

Yuno

Ok pardon my ignorance, I naturally use ASIO as my default method of outputting to DACs coming from my 2 previous DAC are Chord Mojo and IFI IDSD Black Label. I hope there would be a workaround for other board users who need to depend on WASAPI for the inputs to the DX3Pro

Actually to make things even more interesting, I just tested ASIO and my unit is also excessively clicking in this mode. Maybe I configured something wrong, first time using ASIO.
I installed ASIO4ALL, set DX3 as default device with 32bit/192kHz settings and exclusive mode ticked. Device in foobar ASIO4ALL v2, ASIO4ALL settings I took the same as yours.

Attachments

• foobar2000_2018-12-02_16-53-06.png
    foobar2000_2018-12-02_16-53-06.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 268

bleachershane

Despite not yet receiving my unit yet, I have emailed Topping about the clicking issue, the more customers that email, the more chance of a fix.

This thread has made me wish I never made my purchase... Let's see what happens at Topping's end.

bona998

I route entire Windows audio to WASAPI end device via Reaper digital workstation :)

Not for the reasons you mention, but just to be able to run VST on audio, system-wide. You might be able to achieve the same via Voicemeeter, just route Windows audio at max volume onto Wasapi wrapper :D should be bitperfect but alas, might have some latency. In reaper I have 5ms delay.
So you are saying that I can have youtube audio with bypassing all kind of windows processing ?
Very interesting, need to investigate this idea !

GAP

Also haven't received it yet and contemplating my options to cancel my order. On the one hand, there might be a fix soon. And on the other I will, at least in my current situation only use it through a Roon endpoint upsampling everything to DSD128. Would I still have clicks between every song change?

bona998

Anyone ordered from Audiophonics (EU) ? Have you got your units yet ? Thinking about faulty batch ... Maybe these are OK.

GAP

Anyone ordered from Audiophonics (EU) ? Have you got your units yet ? Thinking about faulty batch ... Maybe these are OK.

I ordered from there. Not being sure of it but think that they still wait for their first batch. They will arrive to Audiophonics on December 12 from what they have told me.

NDRQ

Now this thing doesnt seems like a "no brainer", many issues and one can only hope for the fix.
If these things can be fixable with an update...

Overall the review is very misleading, for someone who just reading the review. I really dont want to hurt the host, but its like some random paid review, showing good things and silent about the problems. I also made a fault, i told my friend to buy this because he needed a good 2in1 device. Now i really dont know what to tell him, when he receive the product and notice the issues...

Veri

Master Contributor
I still think it's a great device on paper :oops: have yet to use it in real life though

NDRQ

On paper every device is good, the manufacturers also said that the numbers on the box are the measured values.
But we still dont know how ill work in real life, and this is the almost the same.

On paper, other products maybe little worse, but if they usable in everyday life without an issue...then no question that they are better.

But here this product is the recommended and not those that are little worse in numbers, but working perfect.

I really hope that we get answers from Topping soon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom