• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

bleachershane

I run my DX3 with Topping's supplied driver, playing Foobar via ASIO. As mentioned by others it performs as expected here. I want to test the issues that folks are experiencing but don't see WASAPI as an option. Do I need to uninstall the Topping drivers?
Can I ask what may be a stupid question? If you have any DSD files, does ASIO correctly pass these through to the DAC for decoding as DSD?

Yuno

I run my DX3 with Topping's supplied driver, playing Foobar via ASIO. As mentioned by others it performs as expected here. I want to test the issues that folks are experiencing but don't see WASAPI as an option. Do I need to uninstall the Topping drivers?

You need to have WASAPI plugin for foobar. Instead of using WASAPI just select DS: Speakers (DX3 Pro). That will run foobar without exclusive mode, which means it should not click at all (all songs will be played at native sample rate selected in windows). At least that would be the expected behavior, but what actually happens is it still clicks.

pauze

Can I ask what may be a stupid question? If you have any DSD files, does ASIO correctly pass these through to the DAC for decoding as DSD?

Didn't have any DSD files, but found a few DSD64 samples online and went through the install process outlined in the Topping online resources to enable DSD. Figuring updated component files would be better, I initially used the SACD output components from https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/ but couldn't get it to work. Removed that and used the ASIOProxy installer and SACD output files that Topping provided and it's working now.
15437948353454377755776384821095.jpg

Last edited:

pauze

You need to have WASAPI plugin for foobar. Instead of using WASAPI just select DS: Speakers (DX3 Pro). That will run foobar without exclusive mode, which means it should not click at all (all songs will be played at native sample rate selected in windows). At least that would be the expected behavior, but what actually happens is it still clicks.

I tried DS and installed the WASAPI component to test that out too. Made sure that exclusive options were unchecked and ran a few different sample/bit rates in Windows. Can confirm that a few seconds after pausing a Youtube vid, the DAC will click, and then click again upon resuming. I haven't been able to replicate the clicking during seeking. However, with no sound playing, it's clicking whenever I browse through folders.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I haven't read through every reply here but Windows 7 and Windows 10 do play differently on Foobar with my 2 different computers.
I suspect all are on Win10 are the ones having obvious unfixable issues??
Anyone on Win7 having the same issues ?

For that matter, anyone tried using Android phones as a source just to cross check ??

Wolven

I haven't read through every reply here but Windows 7 and Windows 10 do play differently on Foobar with my 2 different computers.
I suspect all are on Win10 are the ones having obvious unfixable issues??
Anyone on Win7 having the same issues ?

Yeah, same issues on Win7

pauze

Hmm... Anyone tried with an Android phone via USB and also the BT connection separately??

It would probabbly help get closer to where the problem really lies I think?

I used UAPP via Android when I first got the unit. No unexpected clicks (i.e., just the normal clicking when switching between tracks of different rates).

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I used UAPP via Android when I first got the unit. No unexpected clicks (i.e., just the normal clicking when switching between tracks of different rates).

Looks like its some software wrapper issue with Windows in that case ?

Tried the BT system using both Windows and Android ? Maybe you'll find some differences there ( or maybe not ) ??

pauze

Any chance to try a 600ohm impedance pair of headphones? like the DT770/880/990 600ohm version and tell us how far can this DAC/AMP alone drive them?

DT880 600ohm and my trusty Radio Shack sound level meter level with the plane of the left earpad, playing Track 58 (stereo white noise) from the 192k version of http://www.chesky.com/album/ultimate-headphone-demonstration-disc-jd361, I am getting around 75-77 dbs with the DX3 at max volume, high gain mode. With most of my music, I am turning it down to around -8db for loud yet comfortable listening. Plenty of power imo, unless you are trying to *really* bump your most quietest tracks.

Edit to add: Note that this is in no way a rigorous test of the technical aspects of the DX3 driving 600ohm phones, I just wanted to provide a rough data point from a user's experience.

Last edited:

Stein

Wow, I'm surprised by the comments on this thread. My Topping DX3Pro has been working flawlessly since day 1. The relay clicking(when switching sample rates) stopped after I installed the official drivers.

Wolven

Wow, I'm surprised by the comments on this thread. My Topping DX3Pro has been working flawlessly since day 1. The relay clicking stopped after I installed the official drivers.

Can you provide details?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Anyway, there is still a problem with the WASAPI driver and USB on DX3pro.
You guys are confusing me now. :)

Only dedicated music players like foobar, roon, etc. can use Wasapi. When I am hearing about relay clicking with browser and such, I am assuming that you are not using WASAPI or ASIO since they don't support either interface. If you are using WASAPI with exclusive mode, it would not allow any other app to attach to the dac and hence cause it to do anything.

So what is exactly is the situation?

Top Bottom