• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

Wolven

I'm starting to wonder if there is anyone without problems?

If someone has a correctly working unit what is the device revision reported by the topping driver (in sys tray)?

Mine says v1.03

I'm willing to bet there isn't one unit that doesn't click. The solution I implemented has minimized the clicking. My main concern is if this thing is capable of Hi Resolution Audio.

Bigsy

If it is just clicking on actual rate changes then that is working correctly in my eyes, I want to see if these units (if they exist) have the same revision. Clicking for no reason is the problem.

bona998

I've been to audio stuff since I can remember. Tested a lot of dacs. Don't understand all your extra settings in windows, regarding format and clicking (will figure this out once I get my unit). I don't get it really - when using foobar with wasapi, this should be normal behaviour, that every time you play a song that has different bit depth or sampling frequency than previous one, you can encounter silent click for a moment and that's it. In badly implemented muting circuits there could be even harsh noise/scratch etc. In windows output format just set it to standard 44,1 & 16bit as most of things here using directsound driver will use it without need for format change (browser, gaming & youtube music all normally use 44,1 & 16bit, resampling is bad, it changes the original sound, adds distortions etc. That's why you use wasapi or asio to bypass windows k-mixer/resampler and all kind of messing with source sound being so called "bit-perfect").

Are trying to say me that even if it's like this and I start playing youtube it's gonna click ? That would be fu&^% up and I would send it back. I could imagine that if you listened to foobar wasapi exclusive session first for some hi-rez files like 24/96, and then close the application and went to listen to youtube it could still have old sampling rate and had to change it thus click, but if it clicks any time when sampling frequency differs from 192 it's bummer.

Don't get paranoid until you have your units and test it. If you are not satisfied you can always send it back. I can't believe they would deploy a batch of such flawed units.

Last edited:

Bigsy

Ok, bare in mind that when the sample rate changes (legitimately like your example going from foobar to youtube) it clicks and displays the new sample rate, fine thats ok, bit annoying the click is so loud but I could deal with that.

Now, say I'm watching a youtube video, maybe it clicks as I first start to watch as it was in a different rate and it shows new rate on screen....
I watch the video, video stops, I go off and browse youtube after about 10 seconds of nothing playing it clicks again FOR NO reason (there is no rate change displayed) I play another video on youtube, it will click again, FOR NO reason (again no rate change on display) but there wouldn't be because at no point have I tried to play anything with a different rate.

Rinse and repeat, for all sounds for MAXIMUM annoyance.

bona998

Seems like the D10 + THX AAA would be more sensible.
If I had known about fatal linearity and really bad TOSLINK jitter suppression, I would have never bought it. But you have to go through the whole thread to find it out. It is not in the review itself. In the review there are only things that measure perfectly. So like someone else posted, if you only check out the review, yes - it is a "no-brainer" DAC.

Last edited:

bona998

I play another video on youtube, it will click again, FOR NO reason (again no rate change on display) but there wouldn't be because at no point have I tried to play anything with a different rate.
So it looks like it mutes the outputs every time it starts a new data transmission / asynchronous session instead of checking out if new one bit depth & sampling frequency match previous one. If they are the same it shoud do nothing except for start playing new song without clicking. Instead of doing this it always forces activation of muting relays "just to be safe in case". That can be some defect in firmware I guess.

Wolven

If I knew about fatal linearity and really bad TOSLINK jitter suppression, I would have never bought it. But you have to go through the whole thread to find it out. It is not in the review itself. In the review there are only things that measure perfectly. So like someone else posted, if you only check out the review, yes - it is a "no-brainer" DAC.

Can the linearity be fixed with firmware?
I too think the clicking can be fixed like that

Bigsy

If I knew about fatal linearity and really bad TOSLINK jitter suppression, I would have never bought it. But you have to go through the whole thread to find it out. It is not in the review itself. In the review there are only things that measure perfectly. So like someone else posted, if you only check out the review, yes - it is a "no-brainer" DAC.
I'm surprised the review hasn't even been updated with at least some caveats? It's a "wholeheartedly recommendation" and so far I've not seen a unit without issues.

I guess this is why some reviewers will only review units from retail channels to avoid what should be embarrassing issues like this.

Yuno

If I knew about fatal linearity and really bad TOSLINK jitter suppression, I would have never bought it
I'm using TOSLINK right now, there is no issue with it. I think it is a no brainer DAC, assuming Topping fixes USB. As long as this DAC works properly, which is only via TOSLINK at the moment, it is pure joy to use. Once/If USB implementation will work the exact same way as TOSLINK, this will be endgame unit for most people. As long as it doesn't break down that is.

Apparently, the review unit doesn't.
As far as I'm aware, Amir only tested ASIO, which apparently works fine. I suspect that Amir never tested this unit outside of this one implementation and outside of being a pure, audio specific device. So far I have not seen a single person come here and say "yes I have my unit, it works perfectly, no it doesn't click", and I monitor this thread for a while. I have read basically all posts regarding clicking.
The real annoyance starts when you use this DAC as all purpose DAC for your entire operating system, clicking for days whenever there is any sound captured.

Bigsy

You can't say its a no brainer buy and then caveat it with assuming topping fixes it.

The review should be if you want usb I DO NOT RECOMMEND buying until topping fixes it. Because lets face it there is a chance they won't/can't fix it in this hardware revision

Yuno

You can't say its a no brainer buy and then caveat it with assuming topping fixes it.
I don't really see why not. I meant that this unit will be a nobrainer once Topping fixes implementation of the most important input, based on my experience with how this unit works on TOSLINK this is true. I'm very well aware how bad it is, I'm the first person who raised clicking topic here, and I don't consider DX3 as usable with USB in it's current form.

The review should be if you want usb I DO NOT RECOMMEND buying until topping fixes it. Because lets face it there is a chance they won't/can't fix it in this hardware revision
Agree with that.

I'm personally holding off with confirming my package from Aliexpress, and I plan to extend protection period once it's close to running out. If at the end Topping says there is nothing that can be done, I will be disputing as this unit is in it's current form is not what I paid for.

Wolven

I don't really see why not. I meant that this unit will be a nobrainer once Topping fixes implementation of the most important input, based on my experience with how this unit works on TOSLINK this is true. I'm very well aware how bad it is, I'm the first person who raised clicking topic here, and I don't consider DX3 as usable with USB in it's current form.

Agree with that.

I'm personally holding off with confirming my package from Aliexpress, and I plan to extend protection period once it's close to running out. If at the end Topping says there is nothing that can be done, I will be disputing as this unit is in it's current form is not what I paid for.

I'm doing the same, and have not confirmed with Aliexpress either. However, I'm most likely going to keep it, I would be out about $100 CAN. :)

pacman

All aboard the DX3Pro train's disillusion, cho-woooooo! :facepalm:

A lot of people bought it at 11/11 and black friday with discounts, including me, because of the excellent measures presented here.

It's a shame that Topping sent a "golden sample" (as we geeks call very good CPU chips) to be reviewed and then sold a lot of defective unities.

Mine will arrive within 2 weeks and I hope this issue can be fixed by firmware and/or driver updates.

Veri

Master Contributor
I've been to audio stuff since I can remember. Tested a lot of dacs. Don't understand all your extra settings in windows, regarding format and clicking (will figure this out once I get my unit). I don't get it really - when using foobar with wasapi, this should be normal behaviour, that every time you play a song that has different bit depth or sampling frequency than previous one, you can encounter silent click for a moment and that's it. In badly implemented muting circuits there could be even harsh noise/scratch etc. In windows output format just set it to standard 44,1 & 16bit as most of things here using directsound driver will use it without need for format change (browser, gaming & youtube music all normally use 44,1 & 16bit, resampling is bad, it changes the original sound, adds distortions etc. That's why you use wasapi or asio to bypass windows k-mixer/resampler and all kind of messing with source sound being so called "bit-perfect").

Are trying to say me that even if it's like this and I start playing youtube it's gonna click ? That would be fu&^% up and I would send it back. I could imagine that if you listened to foobar wasapi exclusive session first for some hi-rez files like 24/96, and then close the application and went to listen to youtube it could still have old sampling rate and had to change it thus click, but if it clicks any time when sampling frequency differs from 192 it's bummer.

Don't get paranoid until you have your units and test it. If you are not satisfied you can always send it back. I can't believe they would deploy a batch of such flawed units.
16-bit is not advised, setting to 24-bit gives you another 8 bits of dynamic headroom! This is at the same frequency range so no "resampling" involved.

Last edited:

Wolven

All aboard the DX3Pro train's disillusion, cho-woooooo! :facepalm:

A lot of people bought it at 11/11 and black friday with discounts, including me, because of the excellent measures presented here.

It's a shame that Topping sent a "golden sample" (as we geeks call very good CPU chips) to be reviewed and then sold a lot of defective unities.

Mine will arrive within 2 weeks and I hope this issue can be fixed by firmware and/or driver updates.

I doubt that defective units were sold on purpose, it would not make sense for Topping to do that. If firmware can fix this, then it isn't really defective, just a coding error.

Klenfo

I hope this issue can be fixed by firmware and/or driver updates.
It will be fine if it's possible to flash new firmware, but is it possible or not - the main question.
It is obvious that constantly switching the relay for each start or stop of playback is not normal.

jsheard

It will be fine if it's possible to flash new firmware, but is it possible or not - the main question.
It is obvious that constantly switching the relay for each start or stop of playback is not normal.

Topping has released firmware updates for the D10, D50 and DX7 before, so I think it's safe to assume that the DX3 is designed to be updatable.

bona998

16-bit is not advised, setting to 24-bit gives you another 8 bits of dynamic headroom! This is at the same frequency range so no "resampling" involved.
If you use wasapi, asio or kernel streaming and bypass windows k-mixer/resampler it will also bypass windows volume regulation. Nevertheless, you shouldn't use windows volume regulation at all if you are purist guy and have it always set to max volume in windows as it kills dynamics as you said. Of course your trick can do the job a bit but it's better to use volume regulation that comes from inside the dac (like in ess on very long word - 48bit if I recall, so there is no impact on dynamics) or your headphone amp in the unit. I am using windows volume set to max, always, thus 16 bit & 44,1k in windows.

Top Bottom