• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Topping P50 is incredible

It is an incredibly poor design if just changing the power supply has a substantial impact on the accuracy of its frequency response. Look at Amir's graphs....frequency is flat within .2 dB using his generic 5v switching supply. If changing the power supply boosts the bass I cannot imagine how that is a good thing.

jackenhack

Forum Donor
I find it quite funny that some people think that when they use a power bank, they get clean DC voltage directly from the battery. All power banks use a buck converter. Also battery over voltage and current protection. The Topping D50 handles noise on the DC input very well. So you're just wasting your time. You won't get clean "battery" voltage from a power bank. Gahh!

jimboaz

YES! You literally can never trust your ears in sighted comparisons, because...you cannot disconnect your ears from your lyin brain ;)

I think one of the most enlightening things about ASR are the discussions of how we perceive audio in the Pyschoacoustics: Science of how we hear section. Some of the world's experts like Ethan Winer and J.J. Johnston post there, along with a lot of other very knowledgeable people.

A 5 minute video clip that for me explains it all is from a 2009 "Audio Myths" video on Youtube. If you watch from about 1:00 to about 6:00 you will hear J.J. Johnston explain why sighted audio comparisons (when you know what you are listening to) never work. Understanding this explains a whole lot about why perceptions often do not match objective reality.
Which means believing that the better measuring item WILL sound better applies too huh? Or that if it measures the same it CAN'T possilbly sound different....???ala julian Hirsch of decades ago..... WOW....Or just to audiophiles?

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which means believing that the better measuring item WILL sound better applies too huh?
Or that if it measures the same it CAN'T possibly sound different....???ala julian Hirsch of decades ago..... WOW....Or just to audiophiles?

Yes! and Yes! BRAVO! I would be a terrible person for Audioquest to ask to audition their new cables because I do not believe cables make a difference! I would be prejudiced. There is an interesting ASR thread on this topic here. On the other hand, in a blind test where I had no idea they were testing cables I would be just as good a tester as anyone else with similar hearing.

No!...not just audiophiles. Blind testing is done everywhere that objective results are important. Audiophiles are the worst choice for sighted testing of audio gear because we all come packaged with opinions that influence our hearing.

Vosya

This is not new it the same driver as of 2019.
Haven't tried looking inside ToppingUsbAudio.inf:
"[Version]
[...]
DriverVer = 12/15/2020,5.0.0.20099"
Has Topping been using a time machine since 2019?

MWC

@Voysya with the 'new driver' the readme files says in plain text,
"Instruction£º

The driver and configuration guide are suitable for all TOPPING DACs that need to be installed driver (except D30, DX7)."

During installation of the 'new driver' it calls itself both version 5.00 and version 4.86. Damn confusing isn't it?

Last edited:

Vosya

@Voysya with the 'new driver' the readme files says in plain text, "Instruction£º 2019.12.04
"New driver" - Topping_UsbAudio_v5.0.0_setup.exe. All readme, of unknown origin, are not its constituent parts.
During installation of the 'new driver' it calls itself both version 5.00 and version 4.86. Damn confusing isn't it?
When, before installing a new version of the driver, you memorize that it is necessary to uninstall the previous version, there will be nothing damn confusing.

MWC

@Vosya I downloaded the driver from https://www.tpdz.net/newsinfo/474829.html official topping website. It includes the readme so why do you say, "All readme, of unknown origin, are not its constituent parts." Which I understand to mean you think the readme is not an official Topping document but of unknown origin.
As for uninstalling the old driver before installing the new one. That is not part of the official Topping instructions that accompany the driver, so maybe that little bit of advice is actually 'from unknown origin'? The driver setup.exe has a 'preinstallation' phase, which one would hope is some kind of 'driver cleaner' i.e cleans out the previous installation.

Vosya

That is not part of the official Topping instructions that accompany the driver, so maybe that little bit of advice is actually 'from unknown origin'? The driver setup.exe has a 'preinstallation' phase, which one would hope is some kind of 'driver cleaner' i.e cleans out the previous installation.
If your main goal is indeed to install version 5.0.0 released actually in 2020, then I have named the necessary actions. If you just want to grumble about some Topping inconsistencies - I'm not interested.

alex.r

They definitely changed something ;)
1622581536396.png

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So what does the driver do? Will windows 10 recognize the DAC without it?
Sure, it will work fine. But the driver lets you play more specialized files like DSD as well as lossless high res software like Foobar that will not work well without it.

There is no reason not to use the latest driver version...even if the readme is a bit dated.

Top Bottom