• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
1) This unit does not have a power supply given with it. Can I basically use one of those small cell phone type of chargers as power supply? This for example https://www.amazon.de/Universal-Net...pID=51LsHMrdt-L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch. Does more than 1A hurt the DAC or? I have no knowledge on electrical things...

Can you (anyone) recommend any specific, reliable and silent power supply to go? I live in Northern Europe so would be handy to order from Amazon EU, Ebay EU or some similar place.

2) Can you lock the volume output on those pre-out RCAs to a certain level? So that they work more like full power line-out for my headphone amp. Or does it reset on every turn-on turn-off.

3) This DAC seems to support smartphone connection through OTG USB. Have you tried it?
Welcome to the forum Leit. On your question, no, there is no harm in having too much current. The device pulls what it wants. On what to get, I prefer to get a name brand charger since you will be using it with a metal encased audio device. Should the worst case happen and AC mains is shorted to DC output, there can be dire consequences. So if you can, get an authentic Samsung, Motorola, etc. charger (I can't open the link above). Otherwise, I personally would be perfectly happy, and been using it from another USB port on my computer.

I will check on #2.

I have not tried it with a phone. I am not sure I have the right cables to try it but if I do, I will and report back.

Leit

Welcome to the forum Leit. On your question, no, there is no harm in having too much current. The device pulls what it wants. On what to get, I prefer to get a name brand charger since you will be using it with a metal encased audio device. Should the worst case happen and AC mains is shorted to DC output, there can be dire consequences. So if you can, get an authentic Samsung, Motorola, etc. charger (I can't open the link above). Otherwise, I personally would be perfectly happy, and been using it from another USB port on my computer.

I will check on #2.

I have not tried it with a phone. I am not sure I have the right cables to try it but if I do, I will and report back.

Excellent, thank you.

If "too much" ampere is not harmful? How about voltage? Must that be exact 5V?

I will be most likely using the DAC away from my computer so I will need external power supply. Buying a genuine Samsung phone charger is easy enough at least. I just have to find correct sized adapter. USB A to DC adapter maybe? What are the depth and width of the DC plug?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If "too much" ampere is not harmful? How about voltage? Must that be exact 5V?
Not exact but yes, too much voltage can absolutely damage electronics. Fortunately USB chargers all have the same nominal 5 volt and DACs re-regulate that anyway so you are 100% safe there. Just don't plug in other power supplies with outputs above 5 volts.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I will be most likely using the DAC away from my computer so I will need external power supply. Buying a genuine Samsung phone charger is easy enough at least. I just have to find correct sized adapter. USB A to DC adapter maybe? What are the depth and width of the DC plug?
It comes with a USB type A cable to its barrel type power adapter. So if you get a USB charger with type A, you should be good to go.
index.php

bhigh

1) This unit does not have a power supply given with it. Can I basically use one of those small cell phone type of chargers as power supply?

If you're using it with USB input, you shouldn't need an external power supply.

Timbo2

If you're using it with USB input, you shouldn't need an external power supply.

It's a long thread, but see post 23. Amir notes that it won't turn on with just the data USB connected.

Technobrakes

I took the plunge on Aliexpress. Should have one soon. Thanks for everyone's input you have been very helpful. I was going to get the D10 but got inpatient as no reviews.

Leit

It comes with a USB type A cable to its barrel type power adapter. So if you get a USB charger with type A, you should be good to go.

Good to know. So I'll just get one of those Samsung 5V/2A chargers which are nowadays basic in stores (not Fast charging one). If that 1A extra is not harmful, to make sure.

All I know (maybe a bit exagerated) of electricity is that it can burn your house down or kill you if not done correctly ;)

Leit

I took the plunge on Aliexpress. Should have one soon. Thanks for everyone's input you have been very helpful. I was going to get the D10 but got inpatient as no reviews.

Share your thoughts after you receive it. Which seller did you go for?

I decided to have patience and wait for the alleged sale day of Aliexpress.

Technobrakes

Share your thoughts after you receive it. Which seller did you go for?

I decided to have patience and wait for the alleged sale day of

I'l probably wish i had waited, hope it's a good discount for you.

I went with HIFI college store with a couple of tokens. But then had to pay £7 paypal costs, there doing buy now pay in 2 weeks (paypal) i wasn't even sure if it was eligible, its gone through though and hasn't bounced. Just selling my old dac and some bits to raise some of the money.

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
... If that 1A extra is not harmful, to make sure. ...

That's not a problem. The DAC will only take as much current (A) as it needs.

lotse888

Hi! New on this forum.

This DAC really got my interest. Been looking for a small, capable and somewhat budget friendly solution. And if that above mentioned sale from Topping in Aliexpress holds true, This might be it :)

Few questions if I may:

1) This unit does not have a power supply given with it. Can I basically use one of those small cell phone type of chargers as power supply? This for example https://www.amazon.de/Universal-Net...pID=51LsHMrdt-L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch. Does more than 1A hurt the DAC or? I have no knowledge on electrical things...

Can you (anyone) recommend any specific, reliable and silent power supply to go? I live in Northern Europe so would be handy to order from Amazon EU, Ebay EU or some similar place.

2) Can you lock the volume output on those pre-out RCAs to a certain level? So that they work more like full power line-out for my headphone amp. Or does it reset on every turn-on turn-off.

3) This DAC seems to support smartphone connection through OTG USB. Have you tried it?

Cheers,

Leit

Regarding 3), may be I can help.
My brother ran the D50 with his Android cell phone as source and it worked fine. Yes, one needs an OTG cable for an Android as far as I know.

I eagerly waiting for mine to arrive:)

Regards,.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Good to know. So I'll just get one of those Samsung 5V/2A chargers which are nowadays basic in stores (not Fast charging one). If that 1A extra is not harmful, to make sure.

All I know (maybe a bit exagerated) of electricity is that it can burn your house down or kill you if not done correctly ;)

I'm a chemical engineer, so perhaps that's why I like to draw analogies between electricity and flow of water from a tap, something that everyone intuitively understands from experience.

Assume that you live in a fairly large city with a municipal water supply. When you open the tap, the flow rate of water that comes out (analogous to current, or amperage) is only dependent on two things: the water supply pressure (analogous to voltage) and the degree to which the tap is opened (analogous to resistance.) The flow rate of water doesn't really depend on how big the tank of water is that supplies the water (which is analogous to the amp-hour rating of a battery), but only how high up it is (the higher the tank, the greater the pressure.)

That's why Ohm's Law is voltage = amperage times resistance (V = I*R), or alternatively, I = V/R.

If the voltage is fixed at 5 volts, and the resistance of the load is also fixed, then the current flow is defined.

Back to the water flow analogy: if everyone in your area turns on all of the taps in their sinks and bathrooms at once, the flow rate for everyone drops, right? Likewise, if too many low resistance loads are connect to a power supply trying to draw current, it cannot keep up with the demand, just like your municipal water supply. That's why supplies have an maximum amperage rating.

Technobrakes

The store have been in contact suggested standard shipping, might be something to bear in mind when ordering.

dc655321

Major Contributor
Anyone have any thoughts on the following configuration (obvious short-comings, show-stoppers, general malaise, etc)?

Google Chromecast ---> USB ---> LG OLED TV (or similar) ---> TOSLink ---> Topping D50 (or similar) --> analog outs ---> KEF LS50 wireless (or similar)

Basically, a Chromecast frontend, passed digitally into a TV, then optically to DAC for distribution to active speakers.

Zek

Major Contributor
I don't think you need the D50 for this purpose, it can also be a cheaper DAC.

Chromecast -> TV would be HDMI and not USB, but the question is what do you want to do exactly in the first place?
The KEFs also have a TOSLink input so you could go from the TV to them directly.

Wait the KEFs cost 2.000 dollars, if I am looking at the correct ones.
You get a full home theatre system for this.

Top Bottom