• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

nicky

Hi,
I am new to this forul. At last it is released :)
@Michael Guntsche : on aliexpress if you don't use dhl it will probably not go trought customs. I use free aloexpress shipping and I never go trough customs, always trought local post.

Sami

Hi,
I am new to this forul. At last it is released :)
@Michael Guntsche : on aliexpress if you don't use dhl it will probably not go trought customs. I use free aloexpress shipping and I never go trough customs, always trought local post.

Because if the value is declared as $1 or something very low, you don't even need to pay customs or value added taxes. There are different limits in each country under which you don't need to pay anything.

Because if the value is declared as $1 or something very low, you don't even need to pay customs or value added taxes. There are different limits in each country under which you don't need to pay anything.
Customs takes a close look around here so I won't be betting on it. I am pretty sure it will show up at an European distributor in the near future though.

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No, it is not that. I am trying to clip a window inside the application and avoid capturing the whole app.
You can use Alt+Print Screen to capture the currently active window. Works for me every time.

nicky

Customs takes a close look around here so I won't be betting on it. I am pretty sure it will show up at an European distributor in the near future though.

As you wish but i baught a 180 euros tablette from gearbest, had it shipped threw NL post and no custom :) same for a xiomi sounb bar 150 euros. the thing is no DHL UPS... juste regular post

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As you wish but i baught a 180 euros tablette from gearbest, had it shipped threw NL post and no custom :) same for a xiomi sounb bar 150 euros. the thing is no DHL UPS... juste regular post
Here in the UK I think they check the paperwork and charge randomly. I bought 3 items from Switzerland and was charged customs duty on one of them. I have had some valuable stuff which I expected to be charged come without and an inexpensive padded laptop sleeve, which I didn't even realise was coming from abroad, which more than doubled its cost by the time various taxes and fees had been levied. Here it is the normal post which has most often had tax levied and a hefty customs agent fee from Parcel Force, which I suspect is the reason they submit everything to customs...

nicky

Here in the UK I think they check the paperwork and charge randomly. I bought 3 items from Switzerland and was charged customs duty on one of them. I have had some valuable stuff which I expected to be charged come without and an inexpensive padded laptop sleeve, which I didn't even realise was coming from abroad, which more than doubled its cost by the time various taxes and fees had been levied. Here it is the normal post which has most often had tax levied and a hefty customs agent fee from Parcel Force, which I suspect is the reason they submit everything to customs...

wow, no luck in the uk. In France they mainly check big parcels. Normal size are ok trought regular post. I have orderded number of times from China and only ups and dhl had custom check.

Anyway, topping mailed me that on aliexpress there will be discounts on the 28th on the D50.

dwalme

Just bought one of these from topping store on Ali Express. Price was decent after asking for their lowest price via message.

They said they have it in stock and it'll ship right away. Other sellers have ~5 day wait to receive them from the factory.

bhigh

Just bought one of these from topping store on Ali Express. Price was decent after asking for their lowest price via message.

They said they have it in stock and it'll ship right away. Other sellers have ~5 day wait to receive them from the factory.
What was the store and price that they gave you?

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
What was the store and price that they gave you?

I pulled the trigger, bought mine from HIFI College Store on AliExpress, there was a $7 store coupon plus a $6 "select coupon", so it came out to $237 USD with free DHL shipping. Seller contacted me saying it would be shipped tomorrow.

Well since yesterday evening I have a Marantz hd-dac1 sitting here for testing, damn you local shop :).
While it "only" does up to 192kHz it sure is tempting since it is just a matter of handing over the money to own it instead of shipping from overseas.
What's your take on it? It would replace my current DAC-headphone AMP combo but to be honest I initially wanted something with a higher sampling frequency to be "future proof" (if that even exists in the technical world).
My alternative would be either a D50 or Dx7S. The issue I have here is that I cannot test them at all, something I normally like to do before buying.

Well The Marantz supports up to DSD128 just fine via DoP. But still I think it is a hefty price nowadays even compared to other offerings. Well I am in no hurry, I can still use my Zx300 as a DAC for my HD600s.

nicky

Amirm, mesurements left asside. How do you compare it to the D30 in terms of sound quality. Is it a huge improvement?
I own a D30 paired to a NAD c326 BEE and davis accoustic vinci hd speakers. The sound is awesom.
Is the D50 a huge upgrade and worth it over the D30?

Thanks

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amirm, mesurements left asside. How do you compare it to the D30 in terms of sound quality. Is it a huge improvement?
I own a D30 paired to a NAD c326 BEE and davis accoustic vinci hd speakers. The sound is awesom.
Is the D50 a huge upgrade and worth it over the D30?
I have not tested them side by side with listening but I do not expect there to be any gap per-se. The D50 supports new formats which obviates the need for sample rate conversion. If you such files, then it might be worth upgrading. Otherwise, I would stay with D30. So enjoy your current setup! :)

Leit

Hi! New on this forum.

This DAC really got my interest. Been looking for a small, capable and somewhat budget friendly solution. And if that above mentioned sale from Topping in Aliexpress holds true, This might be it :)

Few questions if I may:

1) This unit does not have a power supply given with it. Can I basically use one of those small cell phone type of chargers as power supply? This for example https://www.amazon.de/Universal-Net...pID=51LsHMrdt-L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch. Does more than 1A hurt the DAC or? I have no knowledge on electrical things...

Can you (anyone) recommend any specific, reliable and silent power supply to go? I live in Northern Europe so would be handy to order from Amazon EU, Ebay EU or some similar place.

2) Can you lock the volume output on those pre-out RCAs to a certain level? So that they work more like full power line-out for my headphone amp. Or does it reset on every turn-on turn-off.

3) This DAC seems to support smartphone connection through OTG USB. Have you tried it?

Cheers,

Leit

nicky

I have not tested them side by side with listening but I do not expect there to be any gap per-se. The D50 supports new formats which obviates the need for sample rate conversion. If you such files, then it might be worth upgrading. Otherwise, I would stay with D30. So enjoy your current setup! :)
Great. Thanks for your answer :)

Top Bottom