• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sabaj D5 DAC & Amp

HLee

I would simply suggest that if you are actually going to compare the sound of two different DAC's, that you match levels and test without knowing what is playing. Without that effort, our memories of sound aren't going to be reliable. Not just for you...for any human.

If there are actual meaningful differences one can identify between them, it's likely that one is broken or there is some kind of impedance mismatch. Claims of audible differences abound...except when subjective tests are actually controlled...

Just trying to save you money chasing windmills...
I should admit that my test was not completely scientific.
Its not easy to do a blind test with matching levels.
I spent grands but other members will be able to save moneys.
Anyway I have a plan to test RME ADI2 DAC by headphone.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I should admit that my test was not completely scientific.
Its not easy to do a blind test with matching levels.
I spent grands but other members will be able to save moneys.
Anyway I have a plan to test RME ADI2 DAC by headphone.

It isn't easy... A multimeter makes it easier...but if you go through the hassle once or twice, my bet is you will be a lot more at peace with all of this... Want to blow your mind? Test any of these against an apple dongle ($9)...level matched and blind...

No need believe my ears...or anyone else's.

Edit: P.S. I bet you could even do it without worrying about a 'proper' warm up, what cables you are using (assuming they are fundamentally competent...another area where people waste mountains of $$$), what USB cable, power cord, quantum balancer or anything else typically thought to impact sound quality. Not having to worry so much about much of the electronics, frees up time and resources for what might make a difference...which isn't generally a different DAC!

Last edited:

fraa

D5 has many QC issues but sounds a little bit better than D70.
How about waiting for the upgraded D5?
Is there some firm information that an upgrade is coming, or are you saying more generally to wait for a D5 upgrade that would eventually come?

wadec22

I have one of these on the way and am currently between DAC units. In the meantime I just have my motherboard onboard (ALC1220-VB) running to my atom amp. reinforcing what @BDWoody said, I am SHOCKED by how good the sound quality is. I am in no way confident I would have been able to discern it vs my old El Dac or Monolith 788 in blind testing. I thought under gaming load it would be rather evident, but it is not.

Excited to see if going from onboard to the D5 is a noticeable jump. Starting to be skeptical.

Veri

Master Contributor
I have one of these on the way and am currently between DAC units. In the meantime I just have my motherboard onboard (ALC1220-VB) running to my atom amp. reinforcing what @BDWoody said, I am SHOCKED by how good the sound quality is. I am in no way confident I would have been able to discern it vs my old El Dac or Monolith 788 in blind testing. I thought under gaming load it would be rather evident, but it is not.

Excited to see if going from onboard to the D5 is a noticeable jump. Starting to be skeptical.
Keep us posted about your findings :)

wadec22

Keep us posted about your findings :)

I absolutely will. I have been doing a lot of digging around on people's experiences with the 1220-VB on top of amir's testing of his own board. it is an interesting topic. some folks have issues depending on the gpu in their system as seen in the reddit threads below. overall, it tests fairly decent. scientifically not as great as a lot of dac units but for audible threshold for gamers, pretty competent.

alc1220 vs sound blaster

motherboard audio megathread

Last edited:

wadec22

so I have an interesting phenomena for the electrical geeks, maybe someone can explain this, as it makes a/b testing with the realtek and d5 very difficult.

I have the D5 running USB and RCA out to the JDS atom amp and the Realtek via 3.5mm line out to the JDS 3.5 mm input. The input button on the front of the JDS atom should in theory let me go back and forth between the two. However, if the D5 and Realtek are both connected, there is a low volume static noise that comes through. The noise is eliminated if a) completely unplug the D5 - instantly goes away OR disconnected the 3.5mm from the atom amp - instantly goes away.

I have tried plugging the D5 into different power sources, makes no difference. Why the noise with both connected and powered on? Any ideas?

wadec22

d5 very quick initial impressions;
  • box is extremely similar to the SMSL M10 when I tried that - in fact overall build quality is very similar with good heft
  • display is nice, adequate - very similar to M10 as well, in fact it may be exactly the same but straight on rather than angled
  • looks great on the desktop
  • volume wheel looks awesome - love the ring and light indicator
  • volume wheel steps give a satisfying click (think steps between a mouse scroll wheel)
  • volume wheel itself feels cheap, just because of the give/play between clicks. think of it like bad keyboard key stabilizers. I can wiggle it probably a 1mm to 1.5mm in either direction without it moving between clicks, feels cheap. if this give was not there, it would be great.
  • very basic options, bummer you can't tweak the display more like the M10 allowing you to change full display colors to match any desktop colorway

maxxevv

Major Contributor
so I have an interesting phenomena for the electrical geeks, maybe someone can explain this, as it makes a/b testing with the realtek and d5 very difficult.

I have the D5 running USB and RCA out to the JDS atom amp and the Realtek via 3.5mm line out to the JDS 3.5 mm input. The input button on the front of the JDS atom should in theory let me go back and forth between the two. However, if the D5 and Realtek are both connected, there is a low volume static noise that comes through. The noise is eliminated if a) completely unplug the D5 - instantly goes away OR disconnected the 3.5mm from the atom amp - instantly goes away.

I have tried plugging the D5 into different power sources, makes no difference. Why the noise with both connected and powered on? Any ideas?

There's a chance that connecting the D5 into the Atom is creating some sort of ground loop.

Try looking at your home circuit breaker and see which of the power outlets are on separate circuit breaker connections. Plug your D5 and Atom to separate outlets based on that if possible, in many cases, it helps but not always as it depends on how the rest of the wires are done up too.

wadec22

There's a chance that connecting the D5 into the Atom is creating some sort of ground loop.

Try looking at your home circuit breaker and see which of the power outlets are on separate circuit breaker connections. Plug your D5 and Atom to separate outlets based on that if possible, in many cases, it helps but not always as it depends on how the rest of the wires are done up too.

Whole room is on same breaker.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Maybe you need to conect up on an extension from another room and try just for the diagnostics.

zym1010

Forum Donor
FYI, I received the firmware upgrade instructions from Sabaj, and the special upgrade tool has just shipped as well. That tool is basically a cable (with some chip in it) that connects D5's port above its I2S to a Windows PC via USB.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Regarding firmware fix, Sabaj's representative told me they are done manufacturing the special tools for firmware updating, and are going to ship tools out.
Are all customer with the D5 getting that tool?

KingFiercer

What is your firmware after update? I got my unit with V1.3 2019-9-5.

Top Bottom