• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sabaj D5 DAC & Amp

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Hi, I am new here. I am considering buying Sabaj D5 or Topping D70 but I can't decide which.
I found a criticism of D5 in a Japanese discussion site and translated the gist of it below.
I would appreciate any thought on this and which of D5 or D70 I should choose.

The comment probably doesn't take into account that parallelling 4 channels into 1 doesn't mean you need to output each of the 4 at full power.
I can have a V8 engine with 800 hp, but I can let it idle gently at 100 hp too.

Anyway, share with that guy ASR's measurements if he hasn't seen it yet. I wonder what he would say after that though.

Hi, I am new here. I am considering buying Sabaj D5 or Topping D70 but I can't decide which.
I found a criticism of D5 in a Japanese discussion site and translated the gist of it below.

D70

fraa

The comment probably doesn't take into account that parallelling 4 channels into 1 doesn't mean you need to output each of the 4 at full power.
I can have a V8 engine with 800 hp, but I can let it idle gently at 100 hp too.

Anyway, share with that guy ASR's measurements if he hasn't seen it yet. I wonder what he would say after that though.

Thanks for the prompt reply.
I don't completely understand the original comment or yours. But you are saying it doesn't matter I presume. If he is saying that 6 channels on the chip are totally unused, do you agree? Or does "paralleling 4 channels" mean you are saying all the 8 channels are used? If so, are you saying that D5 must be using, for L channel say, 4 channels on the chip and I/V converting the combined output by restricting the ES9038PRO analog output level so that the single OPamp can handle it? I am no expert, but doesn't that diminish the dynamic range?

The original poster probably saw the ASR measurements as a link had been posted in the same thread the previous day. Or perhaps not, as many Japanese avoid looking at any site in English (school trauma). He hasn't commented on the measurement at all.

Do you have any opinion as to D5 vs. D70, or even SU-8, M500?

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
By that logic of that Japanese guy the SMSL VMV D1 DAC should have 8 opamps per channel the dac having a double ES9038PRO chip. I do not have an engineering degree but from what i remember i don't see 8 or 16 opamps in the SMSL VMV D1 DAC , nor do i see 8 in the Sabaj D5 :facepalm:

fraa

By that logic of that Japanese guy the SMSL VMV D1 DAC should have 8 opamps per channel the dac having a double ES9038PRO chip. I do not have an engineering degree but from what i remember i don't see 8 or 16 opamps in the SMSL VMV D1 DAC , nor do i see 8 in the Sabaj D5 :facepalm:

It may be my fault in translation. I think he means that, if all four channels are to be used per L/R, one OPamp is not sufficient. Probably he says two OPamps are sufficient. Having said that, it is not that he disapproves only D5. Perhaps he disapproves D1, too.

Reactions: 777

It may be my fault in translation. I think he means that, if all four channels are to be used per L/R, one OPamp is not sufficient. Probably he says two OPamps are sufficient. Having said that, it is not that he disapproves only D5. Perhaps he disapproves D1, too.

You are right.

Veri

Master Contributor
Perhaps we should await the DX7 Pro release and see if it beats D70/D5. Probably more expensive too, though, but comes with bluetooth.
So far the in-house measurements look great.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Perhaps we should await the DX7 Pro release and see if it beats D70/D5. Probably more expensive too, though, but comes with bluetooth.

I'm looking forward to that one. If the amp output is close to the RME, its gonna be make a really nice all-in-one. And probably in time for November 11 Sale too ! :p

Veri

Master Contributor
There is a November 11 Sale?!
It's the biggest time of the year for aliexpress and others, IIRC. Interesting time of the year to browse for (Chinese) product sales.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Pricing is out: US$600/-

Screenshot_20190927-185114~2.png

KingFiercer

First cold run - the bass density and punch are insane compared to D70, mids and highs a bit brigther and sharper. I continue to warm up and listen.
It's well made and heavy, looks fine. I press C, but the remote doesn't work. I think it's broken. The batteries work fine in the D70 remote control.

Attachments

• IMG_20190927_173300.jpg
    IMG_20190927_173300.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:

fraa

It's the biggest time of the year for aliexpress and others, IIRC. Interesting time of the year to browse for (Chinese) product sales.
Sounds great. But I am not sure if I can wait that long....

On first startup, my volume knob worked. After I pressed C on remote and got that working, now the volume knob doesn't work....

Top Bottom