• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sabaj D5 DAC & Amp

maty

Major Contributor
Edited by me:
I did another 2 to 3 hours testing on mainly classic music (piano concerto, symphony, string quartet, etc). My main intended use for it is to drive my power amplifier and my main speakers, but the quality seems to very poor for this usage. The sound is kind of brittle and tiring, just opposite to being musical. After I switched back to either the Apogee mini DAC or the CMA800i, the music immediately began to flow and my ears were suddenly relieved. This is with the volume at about 22. Something is not quite right here I think. The filter setting is at default "fast linear".

Can you try -same kind of music- with minimum phase? Fast and slow.

jruser

Does anyone have an email address to contact Sabaj? I wanted to open a dialogue with them about the firmware issues, but there is no way to contact them.l that I can find.

zym1010

Forum Donor
Does anyone have an email address to contact Sabaj? I wanted to open a dialogue with them about the firmware issues, but there is no way to contact them.l that I can find.
you can contact them via aliexpress; also I know one of their representative's wechat.

cinstance

Hmmm -- I listen primarily to the same music, mostly streaming Hi-Res Qobuz rather than CDs (although that as well). My setup:

Bluesound Node 2i --coaxial--> Sabaj D5 --RCA--> Yamaha AS301 integrated amp --> Polk TSi300 speakers

This is admittedly a very 'budget' setup from an audiophile perspective, but it serves my needs well.

I found that the sound definitely improved -- richer, more detail -- when I added the D5 to the mix, rather than outputting analog directly from the Node 2i. Of course, the Node 2i is a far less expensive piece of equipment than your CMA800i, and I suspect its DAC is far outclassed (I haven't checked ASR's reviews but am sure they will bear that out).

Anyway, long and short of it, I found the D5 enhanced my stereo experience. Though that may be because my stereo setup is by no means high-end.

Maybe my expectation is too high. Actually my goal is not trying to improve my sound, but I just need a DAC that can read the optical output from my DAP but it should at least be better than my Apogee mini DAC. Otherwise I am very happy with my CMA800i (I have a moderate good quality sound system), but for some reason, it cannot read optical output from my DAP player when a .dsf file is played. Strangely the Apogee despite being much older, can read it without problem.

I will give it one more chance and try it with different settings tonight.

maty

Major Contributor
[PDF] https://www.questyle.com/en/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/CMA800i-User-Manual-EN-171229.pdf

CMA800i-DAC-filters.png

CMA800i-DAC-filters-2.png

themystical

I am failing to get the Sabaj D5 getting recognised as a USB DAC by my Android based Nvidia Shield. Is this a problem with all Android devices? Any firmware updates or fixes?

D

Deleted member 65

... but for some reason, it cannot read optical output from my DAP player when a .dsf file is played. Strangely the Apogee despite being much older, can read it without problem...

Had a similar problem with a previous DAC of mine (Musical Paradise MP-D2). DAC didn't accept input from my settop box. Here's the reply from manufacturer on this problem, might not be relevant for your problem but who knows:

" Optical input only accepts PCM stereo signal up to 24bit 96khz. You need to go to your TV sound settings, make sure it outputs two channels pcm signal. Not DTS/Dolby 5.1 signal. "

jruser

I sent Sabaj a message on Amazon regarding the volume knob issue and the clock issue, both after standby.

There were some translation issues, but I think they have fixed both issues with firmware and are working on getting the update available. Said they will contact me when the fix is ready.

QQhh

I sent Sabaj a message on Amazon regarding the volume knob issue and the clock issue, both after standby.

There were some translation issues, but I think they have fixed both issues with firmware and are working on getting the update available. Said they will contact me when the fix is ready.

Fortunately it is a software issue from the reply I got from Sabaj

Sorry for this to happen! We are now urgently discussing the solution to the knob problem! Reflected by our R&D department: It is a bug in the software! This problem should not be difficult to solve. D5 can upgrade the software externally, without disassembling, but special tools (we will arrange for you to send). So we are discussing how we can give you the best solution. Can you wait patiently for a while? Sabaj Customer Service Team

jruser

Fortunately it is a software issue from the reply I got from Sabaj

Sorry for this to happen! We are now urgently discussing the solution to the knob problem! Reflected by our R&D department: It is a bug in the software! This problem should not be difficult to solve. D5 can upgrade the software externally, without disassembling, but special tools (we will arrange for you to send). So we are discussing how we can give you the best solution. Can you wait patiently for a while? Sabaj Customer Service Team

Your reply sounds worse than the one I got. Special tools? Kind of makes me want to send it back to Amazon. Maybe that is the purpose for the weird port above the HDMI port. I know it shows a DFU device in Windows, so I don't understand why an update over USB wouldn't be possible. Here was the response I got:

"Regarding the two questions you raised, our R&D department has tested and has already made a corresponding solution.
We are now stepping up our time to make an upgrade plan and then we can solve it! please wait patiently :)
The program comes out, we will contact you! "

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
If you're not really encountering any real usage problems / audio quality issues I'd avoid flashing the firmware. You want to avoid bricking the thing.
Not sure how much you can trust the firmware updating process...

Veri

Master Contributor
If you're not really encountering any real usage problems / audio quality issues I'd avoid flashing the firmware. You want to avoid bricking the thing.
Not sure how much you can trust the firmware updating process...
If it is the xmos firmware tool, I've not seen any bricks using that particular tool. should be relatively safe imo..

cinstance

I just read the review of OPPO HA-1 and the section about using variable gain has much lower quality caught my attention. So I did some more testing using the XLR balanced line out. I found that if I set the volume to max, it sounds really good. At this setting, the signal is very hot. My power amplifiers have stepped gain and even the lowest setting is on the loud side. If I lower the volume of D5 from 40 to 35, and raise my power amplifiers’ gain in similar amount to compensate for it, the sound gets noticeably worse. I guess when the volume is at max, it is in fixed gain setting and doesn’t go through the preamp section. Lowering the volume engages the so so quality preamp. That explains why its quality is so low at volume 22.

Last edited:

cinstance

I think I am going to return or sell the D5 and stay with what I have. I just tested the CMA800i using my audio interface’s digital coaxial output, and it works for every sample rate I tried from 44.1 to 192 KHz. So I suspect the problem is the Hosa optical to coaxial conversion box I used between my DAP and the CMA800i. Maybe I should get a Behringer SRC2496 for the conversion.

maty

Major Contributor
When a DAC works only like a DAC, without the preamp, ALWAYS must be at max power output voltage (if exact 2 Vrms or 4 Vrms). From a computer, with 64-bit soft player you can adjust more fine that the only 40 steps (very few if the amp has near 100 watts) of the D5.

Preamp and headphone amp are added in these cheap devices, usually of much lower sound quality than more expensive ones, specially the h amp.

CMA800i has a very good headphone amp but the old DAC is their bottleneck without any doubt. As a preamp, I have not idea.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
When a DAC works only like a DAC, without the preamp, ALWAYS must be at max power output voltage .

Why's that?

Harry1973

Has anyone compared it to Chord Mojo sonically ? I want to upgrade my mojo to something different. And have been thinking about sabaj d5. Any thoughts ?

Hi, I am new here at the Forum. I am also curious regarding sonic differences to Chord Mojo. I am using Bluesound Node 2 to stream flac files. I bought Mojo a couple of years ago for portable use (a blind pay). To my ears it sounded better over Node 2 on my main set (which has stayed unchanged for 20 years). So I have been using Mojo as a desk top DAC in my main system connected optically to Node 2. Mojo is a little tricky to use as such and I am interested to try out some new things. Sabaj D5 would serve better in my set "ergonomically" and the price is right. I have only owned one separate dac before, Arcam IrDac. To my ears its sonic signature is absolutely the same as Node 2. A little flat. Chord Mojo is to me rhythmically better (also more details and depth) . I have not tested anything more expensive and have no budget for it. Little worried about technical issues (volume control)

(B&W 804 and Audionet amplification).

Top Bottom