• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of QSC DCA2422 Amp

Bubu

Hi! I’m new here✌️
Have the same amp bought also on ebay three weeks ago, for home teater and it sounds pretty good;can you teach me how to bild this trigger liked box to turn the unit on ad of trough the data port? I will very appreciate that;I have this like in the pic below used it for turn from sleep mode a Crown xls 2 and works very well; I think it is pretty much like that that you have bt I don’t know witch are the two pins on the Dataport to take.
Thanks
A quick update. I want to thank Amir for testing this amp (yes it's mine). It is a used unit bought sight unseen on eBay and shipped directly to ASR. I replaced the fan with a Noctua NF-A8 fan connected through a 220 ohm, 2 watt series resistor; it is very quiet now. I also built an 12vdc relay box to control the DCA2422 power from the pre-amp 12v trigger out signal through the power amp DataPort. BTW, the inside of the box had a lot of dirty, large dust-bunnies that needed to be given a new home. I didn't use the speakON connectors but the available screw terminal for the speaker wire connection. The unit is functioning very well.

Attachments

• 5D0350B6-D1E3-4562-8922-254D965BC5F2.jpeg
    5D0350B6-D1E3-4562-8922-254D965BC5F2.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 487

Bubu

Love the site and all that you do!!!

I have extensive experience with this series of QSC amps. The "Power Light 2" family. The family includes CX (basic install) DA (cinema) PLX 2 (premium music store/musician) and Power Light 2 (pro touring) I ran my sound company using the CX, which are available used for nearly nothing. New, the list price is several thousand per amp.

The amp you tested is the lowest power dual rail in the series, and actually my least favorite. Low voltage rail is 50 something volts and high if I recall is around 100. My two favorite amps from the series are the second from the bottom (CX502/PLX1602/DCA1622) 83v single rail, and the top of the series (CX1102/PLX3402/DCA3422) 83v bottom rail, 135v top rail. The CX502 uses the same transformer as the CX1102 but the high rail driver circuitry is missing.

The amp you tested would have delivered better 4 ohm performance (along with being more gentle to the wall power) if you populated the two missing 200v caps, which are available from QSC as factory parts. Also, the pro touring versions use 1000uf caps in the second stage of the power supply, where all the other amps in the series use 470uf caps. The 1000uf caps are also available from QSC as factory parts. Used the way I did,at its limit, driving double 18" ported subs down to 25hz hour after hour after hour... the extra cap storage makes a huge difference in both bass sound quality and how the amp draws power from the wall or distro. (We always used a proper distro!) Despite what the ad copy says... when driving subs at the limit, these amps want LOTS of AC current.

The CX502/PLX1602/DCA1622 with all six 200v caps installed and the secondary caps upgraded to the 1000uf "touring" version is a remarkable amp with lots of power and good current delivery. (The larger CX1102 version basically doubles power everywhere which is totally not necessary in a domestic environment unless your wall outlet can deliver tons of current and you want to brag about 700 - 1200 watts per channel in your hifi...

The basic topology is 115khz switching power supply feeding a class a/b output stage of one or two voltage rails. There are two electrolytic caps in the signal path - one before the volume control and one before the amp driver stage. I always removed the first (pre volume) cap as its there simply to prevent any dc from making the volume control sound noisy. Immediate subjective improvement in sound quality from removing that first cap. I have experimented (domestic use only!) with removing the second cap, swapping preamp opamp, (lm4562 sounds noticably better than the stock 33078!) film cap bypass on power supply caps, etc. and the amp does respond well to those tweaks. If I was trying to drive Maggies or similar the QSC CX properly modded would be my second choice go-to amp. (I currently use deeply modded Ashley FTX Series 3 amps. Fully discreet, all mosfet, thru-hole boards, etc.)

Used domestically, (properly modded) this series of QSC amps will lean toward the brighter side of neutral, with good stereo width, some stereo image depth, a playful "growl" to the bass, and an insistent sense of tons of power looking for a party.

Used domestically, and unmodded, the amps will sound very "matter of fact" with not much imaging depth (thanks to two electrolytic caps and 33078 opamp in the input section, plus a 5532 opamp if you engage the limiter.) The prodigious power will be obvious but if you're looking for holographic imaging, beauty of tone, etc. then these amps are not the droids you seek.

Regarding fan noise, this series of amps benefits from re-tightening the heat sink screws after a few years. As a classic a/b output stage with about 1 amp of idle current, the heatsinks need to be working correctly to keep the fans at their slowest setting in a domestic environment. At its slowest speed, the fan should be absolutely quiet. Maybe the amp you tested has a bum fan? (I've never had a fan issue with dozens and dozens of those amps working year after year in the worst possible environments imaginable.)

I've attached the schematic (PLX 2402 version) of the amp that you tested.
Hi!

I have extensive experience with this series of QSC amps. The "Power Light 2" family. The family includes CX (basic install) DA (cinema) PLX 2 (premium music store/musician) and Power Light 2 (pro touring) I ran my sound company using the CX, which are available used for nearly nothing. New, the list price is several thousand per amp.

The amp you tested is the lowest power dual rail in the series, and actually my least favorite. Low voltage rail is 50 something volts and high if I recall is around 100. My two favorite amps from the series are the second from the bottom (CX502/PLX1602/DCA1622) 83v single rail, and the top of the series (CX1102/PLX3402/DCA3422) 83v bottom rail, 135v top rail. The CX502 uses the same transformer as the CX1102 but the high rail driver circuitry is missing.

The amp you tested would have delivered better 4 ohm performance (along with being more gentle to the wall power) if you populated the two missing 200v caps, which are available from QSC as factory parts. Also, the pro touring versions use 1000uf caps in the second stage of the power supply, where all the other amps in the series use 470uf caps. The 1000uf caps are also available from QSC as factory parts. Used the way I did,at its limit, driving double 18" ported subs down to 25hz hour after hour after hour... the extra cap storage makes a huge difference in both bass sound quality and how the amp draws power from the wall or distro. (We always used a proper distro!) Despite what the ad copy says... when driving subs at the limit, these amps want LOTS of AC current.

The CX502/PLX1602/DCA1622 with all six 200v caps installed and the secondary caps upgraded to the 1000uf "touring" version is a remarkable amp with lots of power and good current delivery. (The larger CX1102 version basically doubles power everywhere which is totally not necessary in a domestic environment unless your wall outlet can deliver tons of current and you want to brag about 700 - 1200 watts per channel in your hifi...

The basic topology is 115khz switching power supply feeding a class a/b output stage of one or two voltage rails. There are two electrolytic caps in the signal path - one before the volume control and one before the amp driver stage. I always removed the first (pre volume) cap as its there simply to prevent any dc from making the volume control sound noisy. Immediate subjective improvement in sound quality from removing that first cap. I have experimented (domestic use only!) with removing the second cap, swapping preamp opamp, (lm4562 sounds noticably better than the stock 33078!) film cap bypass on power supply caps, etc. and the amp does respond well to those tweaks. If I was trying to drive Maggies or similar the QSC CX properly modded would be my second choice go-to amp. (I currently use deeply modded Ashley FTX Series 3 amps. Fully discreet, all mosfet, thru-hole boards, etc.)

Used domestically, (properly modded) this series of QSC amps will lean toward the brighter side of neutral, with good stereo width, some stereo image depth, a playful "growl" to the bass, and an insistent sense of tons of power looking for a party.

Used domestically, and unmodded, the amps will sound very "matter of fact" with not much imaging depth (thanks to two electrolytic caps and 33078 opamp in the input section, plus a 5532 opamp if you engage the limiter.) The prodigious power will be obvious but if you're looking for holographic imaging, beauty of tone, etc. then these amps are not the droids you seek.

Regarding fan noise, this series of amps benefits from re-tightening the heat sink screws after a few years. As a classic a/b output stage with about 1 amp of idle current, the heatsinks need to be working correctly to keep the fans at their slowest setting in a domestic environment. At its slowest speed, the fan should be absolutely quiet. Maybe the amp you tested has a bum fan? (I've never had a fan issue with dozens and dozens of those amps working year after year in the worst possible environments imaginable.)

Hello,
I bought the dca 2422 used, for home theater use and I‘m very pleased with the sound so far for the mains( tops-mid and hights); try to power some DIY 12“ ported woofers(500w rms-8ohm)and the bass was week, then I try with an cheap Behringer Inuke 6000dsp( more power) and the bass was there. Is it possible that inuke was better in the bass( in the region of 35 to 200Hz) then the dca simply because it has more power, or it’s the older of the dca the culprit-15years, old caps or something else? can you teach me to modde properly this amp to sound better and stronger in bass region?

shaad07

Preview
Hi

I am new on this forum. I have got both the DCA 1622 and 2422 at home. So if I simply solder the two missing 2200uf capacitors I will have better bass performance.

Kindly please confirm before I buy the caps from qsc.
https://parts.qsc.com/ca-822200-ae

Thanks

Bubu

Preview
Hi

I am new on this forum. I have got both the DCA 1622 and 2422 at home. So if I simply solder the two missing 2200uf capacitors I will have better bass performance.

Kindly please confirm before I buy the caps from qsc.
https://parts.qsc.com/ca-822200-ae

Thanks
Hi
Do you made the modification and put the extra two caps in the amps or do you intend to do that?

shaad07

Hi
Do you made the modification and put the extra two caps in the amps or do you intend to do that?

I intend to do that. How do I proceed please?I buy the 2 caps and solder them. That's all?

Bubu

I don’t know yet; I bring my dca2422 next week to a technician to change the old 4 caps and put 6 new ones in it and maybe also the caps in the second stage of the power supply,like psemeraro member suggested here,and see what that brings to the sound quality; I will report in the next weeks and maybe put some pics

Regards

shaad07

I don’t know yet; I bring my dca2422 next week to a technician to change the old 4 caps and put 6 new ones in it and maybe also the caps in the second stage of the power supply,like psemeraro member suggested here,and see what that brings to the sound quality; I will report in the next weeks and maybe put some pics

Regards
Great. Let us know after you make the mods.

Regards

psemeraro

Hello friends! I made the decision to take down my earlier comments because it may have left the impression that "just adding some" caps was an easy and safe mod. To be clear, NOBODY should be messing around inside power amps like this with 170V - 180V of DC sitting on their power supply, waiting to hurt or kill you for making a mistake. Thousand plus watt power amps are NOT the place to "learn on the job" about how these circuits work or how to work on them. Unless you are appropriately qualified, and have a workstation that is set up to handle "motherboard" style amp pcb's, then, like Bubu, have a tech do the work.

I'm glad to accept some angry comments if this posting helps keep everyone safe. Again, I'm sorry if my earlier comments were mis-leading.

Pat

shaad07

Hello friends! I made the decision to take down my earlier comments because it may have left the impression that "just adding some" caps was an easy and safe mod. To be clear, NOBODY should be messing around inside power amps like this with 170V - 180V of DC sitting on their power supply, waiting to hurt or kill you for making a mistake. Thousand plus watt power amps are NOT the place to "learn on the job" about how these circuits work or how to work on them. Unless you are appropriately qualified, and have a workstation that is set up to handle "motherboard" style amp pcb's, then, like Bubu, have a tech do the work.

I'm glad to accept some angry comments if this posting helps keep everyone safe. Again, I'm sorry if my earlier comments were mis-leading.

Pat

No offense well said psemeraro.
Indeed absolutely right.

Check your PM please.

Thanks

Bubu

Pat
Hi Pat, thank you for warning us about what can happen;nevertheless want to ask, the modification that you made to the cx(dca) amps, in witch order do they contributed to the sound quality of this amps? I discussed to the technician if we( he) replace or not the 470uf with the 1000uf in addition to the two extra 200v caps.
Regards

psemeraro

Hi Pat, thank you for warning us about what can happen;nevertheless want to ask, the modification that you made to the cx(dca) amps, in witch order do they contributed to the sound quality of this amps? I discussed to the technician if we( he) replace or not the 470uf with the 1000uf in addition to the two extra 200v caps.
Regards

My experience was with two 4 ohm subs on each channel running in stereo, a brutal load to be sure. The 200v caps on the high side don't really add much power, but they do affect how the power is drawn from the outlet as these amps are NOT power factor corrected. The caps on the low side (470uf or 1000uf) do affect the measured power output, particularly at low frequencies. This can be see in QSC's specs and also verified in other tests around the web. Whether or not it will "sound" better to you I wont try to guess but we know that adding the additional filtering holds more energy in reserve and if the additional capacitance lowers the overall impedance of the power supply that may also affect how the amp "sounds" to you. The scientists here will likely disagree and suggest double blind testing to verify, and I don't challenge that position. We know that QSC charges more for the amps with the additional filtering and rates them at a higher power output. If your tech is already inside the amp then to me it makes sense to upgrade the caps as the cost is minimal and you will have effectively stepped up to the "touring" version once the work is complete. Hope that answers your question! Pat

shaad07

Guys
If we are already inside the DCA 2422, why not changing the high rail caps also on? To me it would be more beneficial than that on the mid (low) rail.
Mid rail caps replace from 470uf 100V to 1000uf 90V and high rail from 470uf 63V to 1000uf 55v.
For the 1622 only mid rail since it has only one voltage single rail!
Cheers

rlsound

Did you have to do any circuit mods for the LM4562? Decoupling and what not? MC33078 is an ok chip but newer designs can improve the sonics drastically.

psemeraro

Did you have to do any circuit mods for the LM4562? Decoupling and what not? MC33078 is an ok chip but newer designs can improve the sonics drastically.
**DISCLAIMER** NOBODY should be touching the insides of a power amp unless they are qualified, have the tools/workspace to perform the work, and know how to be safe. I absolutely, vehemently, loudly suggest that NOBODY ever open up their power amp and I bear zero responsibility for the outcome of anyone who ignores this advice.

I actually did that mod to one of the amps. The 4562 was stable and sounded great but I'm not confident it sounded better than the stock chip. Again, I like to buy amps like this for $100 and if it gets destroyed in the name of education/curiosity then so be it. As a general recommendation I don't think anyone should be messing with the smd parts in the front end of these amps.

If you'd like to experiment for the fun of experimenting, then consider my favorite, the Ashley FTX2001 Series lll. Fully discreet, big linear power supply at 87volts, mosfet, massive heat sinks, room to put 60,000uf of main filtering, lots of bias available, etc. If this was a hifi amp in a fancy case it would be astoundingly expensive. As a pull-out from movie theaters, $100 - $200. Easy to bypass the input coupling caps, everything is thru-hole, so simple to work on. I have learned a great deal about power amps from these and have actually replaced my tube mono blocks with them.

Pat

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Speaking of Ashly, would be curious to see measurements for more of these classic studio and PA workhorse power amps, like:

Crown K2
Bryston 4B
Yamaha P3500S
Hafler P3000

This stuff has monster power, just wonder how clean it is.

rlsound

**DISCLAIMER** NOBODY should be touching the insides of a power amp unless they are qualified, have the tools/workspace to perform the work, and know how to be safe. I absolutely, vehemently, loudly suggest that NOBODY ever open up their power amp and I bear zero responsibility for the outcome of anyone who ignores this advice.

I actually did that mod to one of the amps. The 4562 was stable and sounded great but I'm not confident it sounded better than the stock chip. Again, I like to buy amps like this for $100 and if it gets destroyed in the name of education/curiosity then so be it. As a general recommendation I don't think anyone should be messing with the smd parts in the front end of these amps.

If you'd like to experiment for the fun of experimenting, then consider my favorite, the Ashley FTX2001 Series lll. Fully discreet, big linear power supply at 87volts, mosfet, massive heat sinks, room to put 60,000uf of main filtering, lots of bias available, etc. If this was a hifi amp in a fancy case it would be astoundingly expensive. As a pull-out from movie theaters, $100 - $200. Easy to bypass the input coupling caps, everything is thru-hole, so simple to work on. I have learned a great deal about power amps from these and have actually replaced my tube mono blocks with them.

Pat
Thanks Pat.

I"m not a fan of the Ashly's from an installer point of view. When they fail, they output DC right to the speakers Voice Coils. I guess I'd have them hooked up to to speakers I don't really care about.

Speaking of Ashly, would be curious to see measurements for more of these classic studio and PA workhorse power amps, like:

Crown K2
Bryston 4B
Yamaha P3500S
Hafler P3000

This stuff has monster power, just wonder how clean it is.

Bryston 4B is my favorite amp. They have updated it many times over the years. Plus you can't beat the 20 year warranty.

bucknasty72

I work in cinema and have installed hundreds if not thousands of these. The DCA line has been the industry standard amp for nearly two decades. It has a rep for reliability, excellent performance and price point. Based on the front panel with the old cursive QSC logo you have a pretty old unit which has probably served a long tour of duty. These amps work 14hrs/day, 365 days year, playing soundtracks in hot dusty projection booths that pump air filled with popcorn grease. So I’d be inclined to give channelA the benefit of the doubt.

Top Bottom