• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I believe that's the only option on Mac OS. Windows users have more choices. Please let me know if there's a better choice available to me, Thanks!
??? I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Zooqu1ko

H
According to my suggestions from my project, it looks that my friend would like to use software crossover EKIO in one PC, and he would like to allocate 14 or 16 channels of EKIO's output into two DAC8PROs through sync AES-EBU routing. He already purchased one license of EKIO which enables him to use unlimited numbers of input and output channels with EKIO.

Reading and understanding your kind comments and suggestions, if EKIO would properly recognize multiple AES-EBU sync devices, then he may achieve multi-channel system with two DAC8PROs to be set after the AES devices, right?
I've got no idea what limitations EKIO might have, so it may not support output to multiple different "sound cards" in the first place. An single interface with 16 or more channels of AES/EBU is probably your best bet. It's kind of a pro audio problem, and I'd expect more qualified help to be available in a pro audio forum or a pro audio store. There are a few more suggestions e.g. here https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60373

I assume that the RME HDSPe AES is the both the cheapest and the least troublesome option, as long as you stick to a supported operating system.

It's not clear what sampling rates you expect, but > 48kHz will further limit your options and/or require a bigger budget.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got no idea what limitations EKIO might have, so it may not support output to multiple different "sound cards" in the first place. An single interface with 16 or more channels of AES/EBU is probably your best bet. It's kind of a pro audio problem, and I'd expect more qualified help to be available in a pro audio forum or a pro audio store. There are a few more suggestions e.g. here https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60373

I assume that the RME HDSPe AES is the both the cheapest and the least troublesome option, as long as you stick to a supported operating system.

It's not clear what sampling rates you expect, but > 48kHz will further limit your options and/or require a bigger budget.

Hello Zooqu1ko, and,
also hello to Pavel of OKTO RESEARCH,

Thank you Zooqu1ko for your further comments.

EKIO can allocate its multi-channel outputs into any of the available USB audio devices; e.g. I could confirm that EKIO can direct multi-channels into DAC8PRO and OPPO SONICA DAC using their individual ASIO drivers. In this case, however, all in ASIO mode which means the two DACs are not in sync. As I described, my friend would like to use two of DAC8PRO in sync manner.

And, myself and my friend are definitely would like to process everything in 192kHz 24bit.
(In my simple 8-channel USB ASIO -> DAC8PRO case, its perfect in 192 kHz 24 bit.)

By the way, I am just aware of and wondering that we have one AES/EBU digital "OUT" in DAC8PRO which always gives CH-1 + CH-2 digital signal; if we would connect this AES/EBU OUT into AES/EBU IN of the second DAC8PRO, then the two DAC8PROs would be automatically in sync, or not?

I will also PM to Pavel of OKTO for this inquiry....

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I just looked at RME's page on HDSPe AES, and found, as you kindly indicated, this board would enable stereo 8-channel (16- channel) AES/EBU output in 192kHz 24bit.

I will recommend my friend to seriously investigate the possibility of using RME HDSPe AES together with EKIO to allocate 16-channel output into two DAC8PRO in sync.....

Thank you again for your nice suggestions.

Zooqu1ko

By the way, I am just aware of and wondering that we have one AES/EBU digital "OUT" in DAC8PRO which always gives CH-1 + CH-2 digital signal; if we would connect this AES/EBU OUT into AES/EBU IN of the second DAC8PRO, then the two DAC8PROs would be automatically in sync, or not?

According to the manual, that should work.

USB / A

USB / AES is a unique mode of operation that does use the master clock recovered from the 1st AES/EBU to set the pace of the audio data transfer from the USB host. This means that the data recovered by the AES/EBU inputs are transported in a bit-perfect manner to a USB host via the 8 USB input channels, allowing them to be recorded or processed and sent back to the USB output channels to be replayed by the DAC8 PRO.

Because the UAC2 audio device is unable to change the USB host current sampling frequency, the DAC8 PRO will display a warning message if the sampling frequency of the received AES/EBU signal does not match the one selected by the USB host. It is up to the user to make the sample rate of the AES/EBU transmitting device match the sample rate of the UAC2 driver of the USB host.

So you would run one DAC8PRO in Pure USB mode, connect the AES/EBU out to the second DAC8, and run that one in USB / AES mode.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
last week Pavel told me that it will open soon. so other than checking the website there is not much else to do.
I’m patiently waiting for the dac8 Stereo to be available again so I can put my order in...

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

So you would run one DAC8PRO in Pure USB mode, connect the AES/EBU out to the second DAC8, and run that one in USB / AES mode.

Thank you so much again, Zooqu1ko.

I will convey your encouraging comments to my friend planning to use two DAC8PROs.
I heard that he has already placed his order for two DAC8PROs!

I PMed to Pavel yesterday, but not yet heard from him on this issue....

Ozymandias

Did any DAC8 owner hear back from Pavel about firmware upgrades? I'd like to upgrade mine (version 1.31).
I just heard back from Pavel via email:

my apologies for the late reply. Our firmware programmers are working on an update package. When it is released, we are going to announce it through a newsletter to all the dac8 PRO owners.

Good news!

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
For those interested, Okto Research is again taking orders for the dac8 Stereo. I just ordered mine this morning!! :-D

Feyire

For those interested, Okto Research is again taking orders for the dac8 Stereo. I just ordered mine this morning!! :-D
Funny, mine hasn't even shipped yet, and I ordered the Stereo on launch day (April 8th).

Be prepared for a seriously long wait..

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Funny, mine hasn't even shipped yet, and I ordered the Stereo on launch day (April 8th).

Be prepared for a seriously long wait..
I have my D90 and Freya combo to keep me company until then.

I’m number 153... If I get it sometime in September I’ll be happy.

Last edited:

John1959

I am #116 and I hope to get my DAC very soon (no message from Pavel yet, but UPS seems to come over tomorrow with a 4 kg parcel from Czech Republic and as I have no other parcels underway chances are good it's the DAC8Pro!) It took about 14 weeks but I don't regret it. Main reason I bought the DAC8Pro is that it is a very well engineered 8 channel DAC in one slick package at a good price. Still, not much alternatives around yet.

John.

Last edited:

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
I am #116 and I hope to get my DAC very soon (no message from Pavel yet, but UPS seems to come over tomorrow with a 4 kg parcel from Czech Republic and as I have no other parcels underway chances are good it's the DACPro8!) It took about 14 weeks but I don't regret it. Main reason I bought the DACPro8 is that it is a very well engineered 8 channel DAC in one slick package at a good price. Still, not much alternatives around yet.

John.
Awesome! Looks like that’s your dac8! Let us know how it goes on your end.

I have similar motivations on my end. I really like the minimal design and all the features with the Pi 4 in it the Stereo offers. The extra dBs on the SINAD a plus (at least for bragging rights). Also because it looks like Pavel made sure it sounded “musical” so I’m trusting it to be super transparent with no side effects. I hope it to be my last upgrade for a long time... At least till something else comes out of Purifi or Okto. ;-)

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Hello Zooqu1ko,

I have not yet heard from Pavel on this issue.

I briefly tested, however, the "sync" connection by AES/EBU digital out of my DAC8PRO into second DAC, not DAC8PRO but ONKYO DAC-1000(S) which I have and capable of AES/EBU digital input;
WS000663.JPG

Before my actual trial with DAC-1000(S), I sent my inquiry to ONKYO's customer support center asking; "If I would connect DAC8PRO's AES/EBU digital out (CH1+CH2) to DAC-1000(S)'s AES/EBU input, DAC-1000(S) would be fully in sync with DAC8PRO for the DA processing, right?".

An ONKYO engineer quickly responded by email that "If DAC8PRO's AES/EBU digital out is fully compatible with the IEC90958 of AES3 Standard issued in 1985, then DAC-1000(S) would be automatically fully in sync with DAC8PRO, without using DAC-1000(S)'s internal clock."

As DAC8PRO is also for pro use, its AES/EBU digital out (CH1+CH2) should be fully compatible with the IEC90958 of AES3 Standard, and as described in the Owner's Manual of DAC8PRO, the second DAC would be automatically in sync by this AES/EBU connection, I believe.

Then I actually tested by connecting DAC8PRO's AES/EBU digital out (CH1+CH2) into ONKYO DAC-1000(S), and listened to both sound, i.e. sound from DAC8PRO's XLR analog out (CH1 & CH2), and sound of ONKYO DAC-1000(S)'s XLR analog out (L & R), for a continuous period of overnight (15 hours). As the result, I found no asynchronization nor drift of sync between the two DACs; DAC-1000(S) has been fully in sync with DAC8PRO.

We should note here that DAC8PRO's AES/EBU digital out (CH1+CH2) is the through digital out of CH1+CH2 which is not under the control of DAC8PRO's volume or gain controller. Of course, even in this setting, we can use software crossover on PC for master volume and gain controller once we would fix the volume balance in down stream.

In my project, this "in sync connection" to DAC-1000(S) gives another option for connection to L & R sub-woofers YAMAHA YST-SW1000 by RCA unbalanced input, while DAC8PRO's 8-channel XLR OUT are all working for stereo 4-way drive of my woofers, squawkers, tweeters and super tweeters. I also described this setting in detail at here in my thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom