• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

Dacapalooza

Disregard. I did lose calibration - mystery solved.
Trinnov did not warn me as they normally do when I mess with speaker set. I looked at my calibration screen and says not calibrated.

Last edited:

Dacapalooza

Hey. This is big problem: The display does not display bitrate.
The display is not like page 1 nor the manual so that should be corrected. Bummer, I was looking forward to the bitrate. Trinnov doesn't either display bitrate.

Dacapalooza

I will not be able to fully install and compare until this weekend. It's a couple of hours of work to mess with my rack. I have 2 pull out racks with all the wires neatly routed into ties. I have to rewire and reroute everything it looks like.

Dacapalooza

Oh yeah, Trinnov sends full 96khz to Okto according to the khz Display that is working. Tested with few DVD Audio & Pure Fidelity BD's. No idea about bitrate though.

Dacapalooza

Dac8 updated Teardown (Different from Page 29)
IMG-7720.jpg

Dacapalooza

Not seeing transformer? Does anyone know if anything on the below circuit board is a transformer?
I thought AES spec is Transformer Coupled? Is it just a nice to do? Is this the first MCH AES DAC without transformers?
Although, this DAC measures well, so can the entire audio industry not implement transformers based on new technology that does not need it? Are Ethernet cables transformer coupled? Can all industries stop implementing transformers now or audio is different?
IMG-7721.jpg

Veri

Master Contributor
This is a pulse transformer. From Murata brand if I'm not wrong.

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 17.22.48.png

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also took photos of my DAC8PRO (order #106, arrived on May 9), and uploaded in my thread at post #92 to #94.

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope it would be allowed to show them also here...If not, please let me know, then I will delete this post;
WS000507.JPG

WS000509.JPG

Please visit my thread for further info....

Last edited:

Nikolas

Is it legal to post such photos? I mean, isn't the internal design of such devices some sort of intellectual property, protected by copyright?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Is it legal to post such photos? I mean, isn't the internal design of such devices some sort of intellectual property, protected by copyright?
Only if you copy the design, why wouldn't you be allowed to open up a device you own and take pictures?

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Only if you copy the design, why wouldn't you be allowed to open up a device you own and take pictures?

Well,,, basically I agree with you.

Many people open the engine room of his/her new car, take photos, and share the photos...
Many audio magazines and journals show inside photos of audio devices....

Of course I will delete my photo posts, if Pavel of OKTO inform me/us not to share these inside views.

Nikolas

It's not about taking pictures per se, it's about taking pictures and sharing them online. It could give an advantage to those who want to copy the design, since your pictures are now available for free. Of course there's much more than just the PCB that makes a DAC (at least I think so), but nonetheless.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
It's not about taking pictures per se, it's about taking pictures and sharing them online. It could give an advantage to those who want to copy the design, since your pictures are now available for free. Of course there's much more than just the PCB that makes a DAC (at least I think so), but nonetheless.
Please, the effort it takes to just buy it and look for yourself is so minimal that this is not really an argument.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Circuits don't have copyright. You can only patent circuits. But PCB does have copyright. It's like art work. If you copy the exact layout, yeah, that's breaking the law. If not, there's no such thing. It's just not ethical to copy competitors' circuits. But it doesn't hurt if you take a look at it, measure it, take inspiration and build something better out of it.

Nikolas

Circuits don't have copyright. You can only patent circuits. But PCB does have copyright. It's like art work. If you copy the exact layout, yeah, that's breaking the law. If not, there's no such thing. It's just not ethical to copy competitors' circuits. But it doesn't hurt if you take a look at it, measure it, take inspiration and build something better out of it.
Ok, fair explanation :)

Dacapalooza

...I was using the non-Dirac version of the Nano.
Does the non-Dirac version do crossover? What was the model? Can't find it.
Assuming it does, that is perfect missing part to have fully working high rez MCH HDMI system.

HDMI Source (that decodes to PCM) -> non-Dirac Nano for crossover -> Dirac Nano -> Oppo 205.
If crossover is not desired than only dirac nano is needed.
If no RC is desired than simply use the 205.

I am currently doing soul searching if I want no crossovers & get full range speakers. My biggest concern is the wear & tear of running FR. That a 5 YO speaker sounds like 10.

Speakers don't last forever. Is there a science to know when a speaker is failing from original performance? The only way to know for sure is measure before/after. Does anyone know of any research done for Speaker Performance Failure? The host should measure few (cheap & decent) speakers, drive it for 5K hours and re-measure. We at least will have some sort of info/graph on performance failure.

My rule is 10 years for speakers. I have mine for 7. My main reason for rule is for opposite reason. Not to buy too many and limit my spending habit. But what if I wanted to keep it? Hmmm?

Top Bottom